Warning to newer owners

Gofigure1149

So my wife and I had to go out of town. We had been living in our Ollie for about 7 months. Figured everything was fine with full tanks of.propane and space heater. Our stay was extended because of family death. Propane ran out and workers accidently unplugged us. It was freezing weather of course. Got back and our truma hot water had frozen and broke. Didn't winterize it. The kitchen faucet froze and broke. The bathroom had to have toilet repaired. The fresh water pump froze and broke. Hopefully we don't find anything else. Didn't have hot water for almost a month. Luckily we had the 12v tank heaters or who knows what. Moral is stupid newbies should have prepared for the worst and just fully winterized. These trailers are fantastic but not indestructible. It's been a nightmare since this is our home for the next 2-3 months more. Oliver has been great working with us. Can't say the same about Truma. 

Edited by topgun2
  • Sad 6

• Moderators

My sympathies on the loss of your family member. And, I'm really sorry to hear of your troubles.

This can happen to experienced campers, too. A long time ago, we left ours in storage in the early fall, thinking we'd be back in two weeks. For various reasons, that turned onto a couple months, and an unexpected early cold snap froze our outside shower. (Water heater was drained.) We should have known better, but didn't think about the outside shower. Now, we winterize if we have to leave the trailer in storage. Just in case.

Best of luck with getting everything back up and running quickly. And, thank you for sharing your story so that others can learn.

Sherry 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

13 hours ago, Gofigure1149 said:

Propane ran out and workers accidently unplugged us. SNIP Luckily we had the 12v tank heaters or who knows what. 

What a horrible experience, it must have been devastating for you. I have a some questions that I hope you will answer.

How did the workers unplug your trailer? And are they insured/ bonded and thus liable for your property damage and emotional stress? 

Do you have solar and was the trailer parked outside? With 12 volt heaters running your batteries were at risk. Are they too wrecked? What kind are they? If they are lead acid and they froze, there will definitely be acid damage to the steel tray, and possibly to the battery compartment floor structure, which has an aluminum plate inside it, or to the trailer frame itself.

Was there actual water damage or did it all trickle out the belly drains?

I hope this all works out for you in the end. Stay well and please post a follow up report.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• The title was changed to Warning to newer owners

Thanks for all the concerns. Workers ran a pallet jack and pushed the 30amp right out. How it didn't ruin the 30 amp connection is baffling. We had a 110 oil filled backup heater to keep everthing very warm, until it came out. We have solar and it kept up with the tank heaters tank goodness. An expensive option that paid off. I think the Truma is very sensitive to cold weather and the tank freezes easily but this was beyond. We opted for the antifreeze kit in the new one. The toilet valve is also a weak area to freeze easily. Our second one. 45 bucks and 15 minutes to install. Carry a spare. Ice built up in the macerator pump. It quit and thought I lost it too but found where the fuse was.. Sink faucet was a surprise but we didn't like the original anyway. Too big for that space. Then the water pump. When things freeze like that it's no surprise that went. But go figure the outside shower never went. I think because we've never used it and it still had anti freeze in the lines. But considering everything I think this would have destroyed a normal trailer. This is a space ship. Unless you go off a cliff I would put it on top of the pack. We are back to 100% as I think I've crawled through every orifice on this trailer right now. And I'm 66. But cherish the heat and hot water. Protect at all costs. Because when bad things happen they happen at the worst time. 

• Like 1

Also John no water damage. Everything just goes out the belly drains. Battery's are OK. Solar took care of that. Our contractor was just like, uh sorry about that 3k later including a week in a hotel while an RV place fleeced us. Charged us about 6 times truma recommended time. Ill have to get back to you on the battery's. I know they were 750 each and have been fantastic batteries. And yes we've been outside for 7 months. Ice storms. Snow storms. Felt for a while Oklahoma was the antarctic 

Firstly, thanks for the info. I read about camping seasons, and your water actually freezes in storage - I don't know what freezing is and what are camping seasons? Of course, it was 90+ for about 5 days this week here in my area of the coastal southern California. My job, in teh forensic engineering world, is evaluating such issues and problems, and helping the insurance company or lawyer to recover costs. I hope that you are not out of pocket any expenses. You mentioned contractor - I assume you are having work done around your house? The contractor is at fault, and all of the problems should be covered by insurance depending upon your policy. 

Hope all gets repaired and works well.

John

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited