Velcro types split from:EXCELLENT Lithium resource, and heat management discussion

topgun2

26 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I see that you are using the "low profile" Velcro - a very good choice from almost any perspective.

Hi Bill, I’m not quite how to take your post. This is 3M Heavy Duty (10 pound rated) stuff from a roll, neither standard nor extreme. Is that what you are referring to? It is a little taller than the standard material, but it is much grippier. Thus the tall posts for getting the fan up.... and the battery tray does clear them 😉 

John Davies

Spokane QA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

John - 

You are reading way too much into my comments.

Velcro tends to come with the "hook" side of the two pieces in one of two forms - tall hooks and short hooks.  Sometimes the low hooked version is called "low profile".  I believe that this low profile version lasts longer and is easier to clean as compared to the alternative and looks better (for applications where that matters) and is much easier to keep clean.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

36 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Velcro tends to come with the "hook" side of the two pieces in one of two forms - tall hooks and short hooks.  Sometimes the low hooked version is called "low profile".  I believe that this low profile version lasts longer and is easier to clean as compared to the alternative and looks better (for applications where that matters) and is much easier to keep clean.

LOL, I knew that the hook size can vary, these in fact are not the low hooks. I did intentionally put the hook part facing up, any dust will come off with a shop vac ,or a blast of air. I think it is usually harder to clean the loop section, so that faces down. Usually I decide based on what would feel best to my hands if I had to remove the part.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006HWYJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Too much time in isolation, too much heavy (and not so heavy) thinking. I wish I could actually camp.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

Too much time in isolation, too much heavy (and not so heavy) thinking. I wish I could actually camp.

I think you are echoing the sentiments of many of us!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

4 hours ago, topgun2 said:

JD - 

I see that you are using the "low profile" Velcro - a very good choice from almost any perspective.

Bill

Great idea . . . . I did not know there was such a thing.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

John - 

You are reading way too much into my comments.

Bill

I wonder . . . . . can you purchase velcro with both sides "hooked", like Command used on their picture hanging strips?  Maybe this is a 3M proprietary product not available to the public.

Ray and Susan Huff

7 minutes ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

I wonder . . . . . can you purchase velcro with both sides "hooked", like Command used on their picture hanging strips?  Maybe this is a 3M proprietary product not available to the public.

Yes, 3M Dual Lock is what you want.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Be aware that if you wish to try Dual Lock it can be rather difficult to take apart.

Bill

From using 3M Command picture hanging strips, I've found the trick is to pivot the item off the wall, if that makes any sense.  This wouldn't work in every case so you have to evaluate the application before deciding to use the Dual Lock product.  I think it would work better on vertical surfaces than standard velcro.

BTW, in case you're wondering: according to 3M, 1 square inch of Dual Lock will hold 2.2 lbs (static weight).  Not cheap at $2/foot!

https://www.amazon.com/3M-051111976364-Reclosable-Fastener-TB4575/dp/B08BX38F2H

Edited by Ray and Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

I'm not aware that "Dual Lock" is available with the "Command strip" feature of being removable from what it has been attached to.  As far as I know Dual Lock is only available with the very sticky VBR type of adhesive.  The difficulty in "taking it apart" that I refer to has got to do with separating the two parts of the Dual Lock from each other.

In several applications that I'm familiar with, a flat bladed screw driver had to be used in order to get the two parts separated!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I’ve used it in places where I want something to be more or less permanent, but able to be removed for access or repairs: attaching the bath vanity, the false drawer front at my kitchen sink, ceiling acoustic panels, etc.  You can also use it on the exterior. 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Overland said:

You can also use it on the exterior. 

Yep!  I've had experience with Dual Lock being used on motorcycles for the attachment of "air foils - wind deflectors".  At speeds in excess of 130 mph these "Velcro" attachments didn't budge or even think about coming apart.

Bill

note: these speeds were obtained on a closed course racing circuit

One thing to keep in mind is that like everything else from 3M, Dual Lock isn’t a single product. I think there are 15 versions of varying combinations of adhesives, strengths and thicknesses. And you can combine strips of different types to change the strength.  The best way to get the one you want is to get the product number from the 3M website and then search for that on Amazon. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 5:23 AM, topgun2 said:

I'm not aware that "Dual Lock" is available with the "Command strip" feature of being removable from what it has been attached to.  As far as I know Dual Lock is only available with the very sticky VBR type of adhesive.  The difficulty in "taking it apart" that I refer to has got to do with separating the two parts of the Dual Lock from each other.

In several applications that I'm familiar with, a flat bladed screw driver had to be used in order to get the two parts separated!

Bill

3M picture hanging strips come with the removable Command strip.  I picked up a package of 34 pairs at Costco a while back.  Each strip is rated at 4# holding strength; for picture hanging you can combine 4 strips to get a 16# rating.  Each strip is 3" x 3/4".  I don't find them at Costco.com now.

I don't know about separating the Dual Lock, but with the picture hanging strips you tip the item you are hanging and pivot it together, a bit at a time; same to remove - if that makes sense.

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

Yep - 3M Command strips are absolutely great for use on the interior of the Oliver.  But, I do not think that the Dual Lock type is available with the Command Strip feature of being removable from the wall you have attached it to.

Bill