Generator Size for A/C System

dewdev

Having just purchased a 2018 Oliver Elite II from the first owner, I am hoping that you all could provide a little help.

The Oliver receipt that the first owner gave me lists the A/C System as a "Standard Dometic Penguin II with Micro-Air Easy Start". No mention of BTU value.

The Oliver maintenance manual does not list the BTU of this A/C. I am thinking it is 13,500 BTU's. Does anyone know for sure so I do not need to call Oliver to ask?

i would like to buy a generator so I can run the Oliver equipment including the A/C when boondocking. I  would like to use the Oliver's propane. What is the minimum size generator I should purchase?

Thanks 

Edited by dewdev

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

The 2018 brochure shows it as a 13,500 BTU AC.  A 2,000 or 2,200 watt gas generator will run it with the Easy Start, no problem.  If you want to convert the generator to run off of propane, I know the Honda 2,200 will run it without problem, on propane.

Andrew

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

When picking a generator you must also consider altitude - about 3% loss per 1000 feet - not insignificant if you are really high up. And propane generators can get flaky in cold weather if the gas supply gets low, below about half the capacity. So if you are relying on it in winter for shore power you would be better off with a gasoline version. My preference is to have a completely independent gasoline powered source of electricity, not one that sucks propane out of the trailer system (especially if you have the smaller 20 pound bottles).

https://www.generatorjoe.net/html/genfuel.html

Picking a more powerful generator is always a smart choice, but only if the extra weight or size is not a problem. That way you can use more electrical stuff at the same time and you are not running it flat out all the time, which is stressful for the engine. Choose a generator with an “eco-throttle”; under lighter load it will idle down a little (more quiet), but if it is running at full output that feature won’t be useable. Be sure to consider the continuous rating, not just the peak (surge) number, which is not very meaningful. I personally feel that 2200 watts is a little small.... a whole lot of the decision depends on how often you think you will need it. And if you ever want to use it for home emergency power - bigger is much better, in that case.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I agree with John, you should size your generator according to how you will use it and where you camp.  I had a Champion 3400 dual fuel that we carried for a couple of years.  Nice unit, reliable and quiet.  Also, heavy at 98lbs.  I could lift it, but avoided unloading it from the truck and just ran it on the tailgate.  When I realized that the only thing I used it for was to recharge batteries, I sold it and bought a Champion 2000, gas only.  It only weighs 37lbs and is also quiet and reliable.  I have tested it a couple of times to see if it will start and run my A/C and it does.  I’ve never had a situation where I needed to use it for that but could if required.  It is still just a means of recharging batteries on very cloudy days.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Good points John and Mike.

Mike I like the idea of the Champion 2000. How do you connect it to the trailer. Do  you use the 30 amp Oliver power cord and plug it directly into the generator?

Maine 

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, dewdev said:

Good points John and Mike.

Mike I like the idea of the Champion 2000. How do you connect it to the trailer. Do  you use the 30 amp Oliver power cord and plug it directly into the generator?

Yes, I use my Oliver power cord with an adapter to fit the generator.  Same adapter that I use to plug into the 110V outlet at my storage.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Our 2018 Elite 2 has  the same A/C  with an easy start and my Honda 2200 EU runs the A/C fine, just don't try to  run the microwave or the fridge on auto at the same time.  FYI Champion dual fuel generators have a lower wattage output running on propane.  We  follow the travel route of 70 degrees and sunny so we have traveled 5 months at a time maybe using the generator once or twice.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Ken and Judy:

Our Oliver Hull # 354 has 320 watts of solar power and 4 6V AGM batteries with a 2000 watt inverter.

Sounds like either gas or propane and a Champion 2000 or Honda 2200 will work.

I saw some bad reviews on the Honda with problem getting it started. What is everyone's experience with these two brands?

Thanks

Maine 

30 minutes ago, dewdev said:

I saw some bad reviews on the Honda with problem getting it started. What is everyone's experience with these two brands?

What was the date of those reviews? Gasoline or propane? Some older Hondas did not have a separate fuel shut off switch, so while it was running you just killed it with the combination ignition/ fuel shutoff switch. The problem with that is the engine is still spinning for a couple of seconds and it sucks unburned gas into the cylinder. That fouls the plug, washes oil from the cylinder walls, and leaves a lot of gas in the carb. None of that is good. My old EU1000i was like this, and it was always hard to start after sitting, at took at least half a dozen pulls. 

My Yamaha 2400 has separate fuel and ignition switches, so I can turn off the gas and let it run until it dies, THEN turn off the ignition. That empties the carb, most of the way. It always starts with one pull. It is a good idea to manually drain the carb after a camping trip, so the small amount left in there does not evaporate and form varnish, which can block the jets. And ALWAYS use a fuel stabilizer, unless you run propane. 😬

So be sure the unit you buy has this design feature.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

11 hours ago, John E Davies said:

What was the date of those reviews? Gasoline or propane? Some older Hondas did not have a separate fuel shut off switch, so while it was running you just killed it with the combination ignition/ fuel shutoff switch. The problem with that is the engine is still spinning for a couple of seconds and it sucks unburned gas into the cylinder. That fouls the plug, washes oil from the cylinder walls, and leaves a lot of gas in the carb. None of that is good. My old EU1000i was like this, and it was always hard to start after sitting, at took at least half a dozen pulls. 

My Yamaha 2400 has separate fuel and ignition switches, so I can turn off the gas and let it run until it dies, THEN turn off the ignition. That empties the carb, most of the way. It always starts with one pull. It is a good idea to manually drain the carb after a camping trip, so the small amount left in there does not evaporate and form varnish, which can block the jets. And ALWAYS use a fuel stabilizer, unless you run propane. 😬

So be sure the unit you buy has this design feature.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John has hit on a very good practice - run the unit dry of fuel - in most cases - especially if you will not be running it for a an extended time. I understand  pure - unadulterated - unleaded fuel is not available everywhere - but around my neck of the woods - non ethanol high octane fuel is readily available - and that is all I put in my small engine equipment. Never have an issue. The local marine dealer has a jar of 6 month old ethanal unleaded on display - it is a great way to see what happens to your fuel system and carb with the regular pump stuff. 

Run it off propane - all good. 

RB

• Thanks 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

Agreed. Non ethanol is all we run in all the lawn equipment,  generators, etc. 

Back a decade ago,, we used to drive halfway across the county to a Sunoco to find it.

Now, I've found a greater number of stations, including many of the big chains, selling non ethanol these days. If we're on the road, I  sometimes use this website to locate non ethanol.  (This is crowd-sourced, and far from complete, but usually accurate.) Or, just Google non ethanol near me on my phone.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=FL

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.