Rugs

RussW

Hello all!  We take delivery of our Elite II with twin bed layout in April.  We have 2 questions.

1)  We could not find the dimensions (width & length) for the aisle that runs from the kitchen to the sleep area.  We are considering a runner that would be soft underfoot and is washable.

2) Any recommendations for an outdoor area rug that is easy to fold up, takes little space to store and is easy to clean?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Mossemi did a diagram for another person with the same question about the aisles:

As far as the outdoor rug, several places, including camping world, sell woven outdoor rugs that fold. We have an old one from ikea that rolls up, doesn't fold, same type of woven plastic. 

We throw it over a ladder and hit it with a hose to clean it. 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I'd second what SeaDawg is saying about these woven rugs.  CampingWorld, WalMart , Amazon, have all sorts of designs and sizes to chose from.

With regards to the interior rug - you might want to consider getting two rugs instead of one to fit this space.  The small rugs are much easier to simply take outside and shake.  Also, the rug that is in the kitchen area will tend to get dirtier faster and it would be easier to either replace this smaller rug or clean this smaller rug versus the larger one piece unit.  Finally, I like a "softer" rug for back in the bedroom/living room area - its a bit nicer on the toes and warmer feeling on the feet versus the easier to clean one I have in the kitchen.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I’ve had my eye on one of these outdoor mats for some time. I think originally they were a military product and then for a while only available in Australia, but it looks like you can get them here now for a relatively reasonable price. The color selection is a bit bright for my taste, but I may give one a try. 

https://www.cgear-sandfree.com

• Thanks 1

I have always used either a cheap plastic grass 10'x12' mat from WalMart, or a Japanese tatami (bamboo) roll-up mat. They come in many sizes, and work outside under the awning or on a sandy beach. There are many different sizes and types of tatami.

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

5 hours ago, topgun2 said:

I'd second what SeaDawg is saying about these woven rugs.  CampingWorld, WalMart , Amazon, have all sorts of designs and sizes to chose from.

With regards to the interior rug - you might want to consider getting two rugs instead of one to fit this space.  The small rugs are much easier to simply take outside and shake.  Also, the rug that is in the kitchen area will tend to get dirtier faster and it would be easier to either replace this smaller rug or clean this smaller rug versus the larger one piece unit.  Finally, I like a "softer" rug for back in the bedroom/living room area - its a bit nicer on the toes and warmer feeling on the feet versus the easier to clean one I have in the kitchen.

Bill

I agree about shorter rugs . . . . besides being easier to shake out, they also fit better in a washer (front loading, anyway).  We have 4 smaller rugs we used in our little motor home that work, but two a little longer would be better.  It's hard to find rugs that aren't long runners but are longer than doorway sized rugs that aren't too wide for the Oliver twin aisle.  24" is perfect as it just laps over the edge of the flooring, but doesn't hit the sides of the fiberglass wall.

We also have this rug that I love for just inside the door.  The 24" x 17" is the perfect size.  It collects the initial wet and dirt that comes inside, doesn't slip easily, shakes out nicely, is washable, and comes in many colors.  $25 seems like a lot for a small entry rug, but It's worth it.  It can also double as a mat outside the bathroom for stepping out of the shower, since it absorbs water well.  

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

I'd add another "rug" to the mix, if you haven't already.

A walkoff, or welcome mat, before the trailer steps can grab a lot if dirt.

Even if we don't put out the big rug, the walkoff always gets deployed. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We use both an outside and inside welcome mat.  The inside one is good for taking off and storing hiking shoes.  Both of them came from Ikea - I only see the inside one on their website now, which still looks fine after four years, despite its $0.99 price tag. 

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kristrup-door-mat-dark-blue-90392452/

Edited by Overland
  • Like 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Overland said:

We use both an outside and inside welcome mat.  The inside one is good for taking off and storing hiking shoes.  Both of them came from Ikea - I only see the inside one on their website now, which still looks fine after four years, despite its $0.99 price tag.

$0.99?  I might buy 5 or 6 and be set for the next decade.

• Haha 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Seriously,  those 99 cent ikea mats do last. I have one that's five or six years old.  Getting thin now, but you can't argue with the price. 

I've bought them for the Alaska deliveries.  Doesn't bother me at all to leave five or six behind. At the price. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4