Added living space

John C Marsh Jr

Has anyone added an enclosed living space attached to their Oliver?  This would more than double the living space. We would like to add something like the Thule awning that includes screens, storm panels, and access doors.  We had something similar on our Rpod, a d actually spent more time in the screen house/awning than inside.  We moved the eating area, cook stove, Counter prep, storage etc. into the added room.  

940DC510-FC1C-414C-99B7-643A4E1CF419.jpeg

8C8F9F58-E479-445A-8653-4B7B8BFCF054.jpeg

7F16B3EA-4EC9-490F-8FA6-F890A03A823C.jpeg

38880F18-107D-4563-B55F-168A9F513E1E.jpeg

Doubling the space is nice, but I find that without the walls, the space is even bigger.  We added this 1.6 million acre outside room just this past fall.  Very easy to set up.

2038302314_IMG_06122.thumb.jpeg.3b51483ba2ef351be16c7c2769b3b830.jpeg

Seriously, though, I believe that @ScubaRx used to have the Fiamma outdoor room, which seemed pretty nice.  Maybe they still do.  I suspect that to make one worth the effort of setting up and taking down, you have to be in one spot for a while and in conditions that warrant an enclosure.  

A simpler solution for windy conditions or for privacy, is just a sun screen across the front.  We travel with one, though admittedly have only used it a few times.  Again, it's rarely worth the trouble of setting up.  Plus it blocks the views.

IMG_0209.thumb.jpeg.23af653688802129e707b91b0614a5cb.jpeg

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I agree with Overland, there are appropriate places to set this up, but understand that if you are boondocking in the West you would probably have it ripped off and blown into the next county within a few days. Those pictures look pretty, just imagine them with 30 mph wind gusts. You certainly would not be able to sleep in those conditions, with it rocking the trailer.

Where do you live, but most importantly, where do you plan to camp?

If there will potentially be wind, at least consider a free standing canopy, over a picnic table, for example. Anchored with four 40 pound sandbags. That way it won’t rock and roll the trailer.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Quite a few owners have a clam tent, though, and seem to get a good deal of use out of them.  They're very easy to deploy, though I don't know how difficult they are to take down, and they do take up a good deal of space in the truck bed.  But for buggy conditions especially, they seem like a good buy.  Personally, I think I'd prefer one of those over an attached room.

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I see you've already owned and enjoyed an outdoor room, so you know what it takes to set it up.

I don't know if Girard offers something similar to the Thule room. Or, if they can leave the standard awning off,, for a credit,  so that you could install the Thule you like. That's a good question for your Oliver sales rep.

I've known a few people over the years who had the outdoor rooms, mostly people who full-time or stayed in one location for a long time. They're obviously most useful on the curb side.

My sister had a different brand on her rpod, and used it once. Way too much work for a long weekend. So, she got a popup awning,, instead.

Edited by SeaDawg
Typo

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Like Overland, I’ve got a shade that attaches to the awning.  If the weather is bad we use our Clam, sometimes with a fire pit.

Here’s what @ScubaRx has - I believe it is made by Fiama to fit our Fiama awnings.  This was at Quartzsite a few years ago.  It’s time consuming to put up and tear down.

6751DED8-8C77-490F-882C-58EFADE8EE75.jpeg

Our shade attached to the awning.

3DA91C8F-D4DE-4A21-9D0A-C9D0FF152C3E.jpeg

9536048A-FC55-439B-9515-3127E7EAC3D1.jpeg

Edited by Mike and Carol
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Overland said:

They're very easy to deploy, though I don't know how difficult they are to take down, and they do take up a good deal of space in the truck bed.

Clam tents are even easier to take down versus putting them up.  I've got the small version of the Clam tent and it fits nicely in the closet of the Elite II,

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Note that - the smaller Clam tent is great for one person and comfortable for two.  Three can fit  but four gets really crowded and five is standing room only!

Bill 😃

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

31 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I've got the small version of the Clam tent and it fits nicely in the closet of the Elite II

Which version do you have? I'm not finding the collapsed lengths listed on their site. Thanks!

• Like 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

Thank you all.  We live in Maine and our camping style is ‘nesting’.  Stay in one spot for several days, get to know and explore the area, then move on.   We have been in windy conditions on the Maine coast and it’s batten down the hatches, but it’s all part of the program!  The enclosure lets us be almost outside in the rain, shields us from the mosquitoes, and offers a little warmth when its chilly since 95% of our cooking in NOT in the trailer.  

38880F18-107D-4563-B55F-168A9F513E1E.jpeg

• Moderators

When the Clam is staked out at the corners plus at the "mid-line pull loops" it is VERY stable in very high winds.  The only "issue" that I've heard is in a heavy thunder storm with a bunch of rain, the larger model's roof can "collapse" due to the weight of the rain.  I've never had that problem with my four sided model though.

And, since you are talking about Maine, I should note that due to the very fine mesh screening on this shelter it can become warm inside on a sunny non-breezy day.  But that fine mesh does keep out even the smallest of critters and the average temps in your neck of the woods are generally lower which reduces this potential heat issue.

Bill

• Like 1

We have the 5 sided model Clam. Gives a little more room. We love it. Keeps bugs out . Agree easy up and easy down. Stable in wind. Added side panels makes it usable  in rain storms. 

• Like 1

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

6 minutes ago, FrankC said:

We added a screen to the awning along with the Carefree support poles.  It’s been great as extra living space with a bit of privacy, but it’s still quick to stow away in case of high winds. 

B3966117-4E6B-46E1-9E79-E5E561A7575A.jpeg

That looks great Frank. 👍🏻

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Looking at the manual for the new Girard power awning, I  don't see an attached patio screen room being a very good idea, even if you made one..

At the least, you would have to somehow disable the wind/motion sensor, or risk the awning rolling up on its own, with the screen room attached, which could certainly cause some serious damage.

I  think a Clam, or something like it, would be your best option, with the new power awning.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

56 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

you would have to somehow disable the wind/motion sensor, or risk the awning rolling up on its own, with the screen room attached, which could certainly cause some serious damage.

Yes, awning power is switched off when using the screen and the Carefree support poles.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

These sun screens that hang off the awning are very nice in that they help with shade, help a little with a heavy breeze and give a touch of privacy.  Note that they come in basically two forms - one that has a zipper about 18 to 24 inches from where it attaches to the awning and one that doesn't have that zipper.  If you are shopping for one of these sun shades then strongly consider purchasing the one with the zipper - it makes attaching this to the awning much easier (particularly if you are doing this job single handed) and it allows for temporarily taking down the main section in the event of darkness and/or a sudden wind storm.

Bill

• Moderators

That looks really nice!

For temperate seasons and climates, awesome.  

But, does it require a Thule awning?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 months later...

Hi John,

If you have any interest in the Clam, then you should take a look at Gazelle.  They are a little smaller than 10x10 and stow at 63 inches long and are considerably cheaper than a Clam.  We have one and the only downsides I see are that it is floor-less and the screening blocks most of the wind, so summertime you need a fan.  The screening does block out insects very well.  The Gazelle pops out just as the Clam does, very easy setup and take down.  The hardest part is getting it back into the bag 🙂

John

• Thanks 1

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

On 1/30/2021 at 2:40 PM, John M said:

Here is what we are considering.   Waiting to see if it actually works.  It’s a Thule.  

Does it have any attach points for guy lines to be staked out (as seen in a few of the photos  from other owners who have  poles and side wall or sun shade setups)? If not see if you can add them in a secure way - their attach  points need to be able handle significant forces. Otherwise that could become quite the  wind sail in an unpleasant way!

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709