Cold days in winter with minus degrees of Celsius

HenryM

I decided to buy travel trailer, made some research, and ended up discovering Oliver Travel Trailers through Reddit. I am looking one that would keep warmth well in cold winter environment, and here I am looking for experience from users that have been in environments of cold temperatures with Oliver Travel Trailers. (I am thinking of having option with diesel-powered heater, or having wood-stove customization, or/and, to going with any other option that is most easily accecible/convenient option for off-grid heating in cold winter environments.)

Moreover, to express myself, I'd like to mention that I decided to buy one of those trailers due reliablity aspects, great build quality, etc., while, at the same time, I also value something that is affordable, something that is not over-priced. So far everything looks great for me, as considering between 20k-40k, the one of legacy 2. I value high quality yet I value smaller size where all the options of comfort are present - such as shower, toilet, sink, and so forth.

(Also, does anyone have experience buying Oliver from Europe, as I am currently living in Europe. Thinking if there's any option. If not, considering to going by ways of Canada.)

Thanks for reading, and thanks if replying,

All the best,

Henry

Edited by HenryM

Henry, you need to send an email to Oliver Sales department with your questions. I think delivery to Europe would be out of the question, but starting a purchase from there would not be too difficult. You would probably need to pick up the trailer here in the USA, though I do believe they have exported a few to Canada.

There are no other heating options beside the standard propane RV furnace. Too bad, many of us would love a diesel option similar to an Espar or Alde hydronic system. When you talk to them, mention your desire for better heating, maybe we will be able to buy that sometime.

Welcome to the forum

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I don't see propane as good option, for similar reasons why I'd not use propane in fallout shelter. If undoable by company, considering own modifications as option regarding production of heat. If great insulation, fiber-glass, etc., then that's great. Before I came to forum here, was sending question, regarding Europe, through company's website. Will reply answer here in case others interested perhaps, as through Google search, as relating to current time of 2021.

Edited by HenryM

I think you could install a diesel forced air heater without too much trouble if you are skilled at fabrication, electrical wiring, and plumbing, or know a shop that could do it for you. However it would be VERY expensive if you had to pay a shop for their hourly labor.

Installing a complicated hydronic system would be really tricky, since you would have to cut a lot of holes and run plumbing lines everywhere under the floor and cabinets. Alde does not sell parts individually, an Espar or Webasto marine system would be possible. When the big propane appliances and tanks are removed, it will open up a whole lot of space to mount the new parts and a diesel fuel tank. This would not be very hard to install..... https://www.webasto.com/fileadmin/webasto_files/documents/international/rv/data-sheet/rv-dual-top-evo.pdf

If you decide to do this, please post a thread with pictures, I am sure many of us would be interested. I certainly would be. But I do not want to be the first to do it!

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Maybe I misunderstood your original post, but are you thinking you can get a Legacy Elite II for between 20K and 40k?  Dollars?   Even if you’re talking Euros, 40k isn’t enough for an Elite II. 

Edited by FrankC
  • Like 1

• Moderators

FrankC, I  too was mystified. Maybe looking at a different currency? But then, even the smaller Elite I starts at top end, around 40, 000 gbp. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Got initial impression over price from here: https://rvshare.com/blog/check-oliver-legacy-elite-travel-trailer/

Doesn't seem to mention year there, but after having checked in this forum, this price range is apparently the case as to what was paid for earlier models of Oliver. 60k for me is too much. In case if would not needing to do modifications myself, then would reconsider current price-range of recent years.

I am now considering of buying older, used model of Oliver, to modifying myself. In case I go with the route of making those modifications, as John E Davies hinted to, I am happy to share results in this forum here. Currently, I am also reconsidering other options, for what is offered by the price is currently not entirely fit for me, as due lack of option for other than propane. 

Edited by HenryM

• Moderators

Thanks for the link, Henry. I'll try to send the author of that article a note. I  don't think I've ever seen even a used Oliver for $20k. The last one I saw under 28k was a 2008 Legacy, with no solar.

Unfortunately,  I  don't know of any travel trailers using diesel as a fuel for furnace and stove. Some of the even pricier overland vehicles offer this option. Maybe one if the Aussie import trailers, but they're not likely in your stated price range,  either..

NuCamp does use the Alde heat system in their trailers and the Cirrus truck camper, but it's fueled by propane and electric.

Here in the US, you may find diesel in van conversions.

Good luck in your search, and keep checking back. Maybe a great early used Oliver will pop up for you.

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Hi Henry, welcome to the forum.  If you intend to use your Oliver in Europe have you considered the differences in electricity, fittings for connecting to both water and electricity and differences in European hitches and North American hitches?  Also, an Oliver is significantly heavier than a similar sized European caravan.  When we lived in Europe (Belgium, France and Germany) I was amazed at seemingly large trailers being towed by relatively small vehicles!  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Mike, way back in the day, we looked into shipping our trailer to Europe, and buying a Volvo on the buy abroad program, or leasing a car through the French Peugot/Renault program.

The modifications (including different  safety regulations) were extensive, but not insurmountable,  if we lived on solar. I'm pretty sure I still have that yellow folder somewhere upstairs.  I saw it a few years ago when I  was purging files..

Our biggest issue was finding insurance for the trailer. And, of course,  the time.

The smaller Elite is heavier, but not larger than many of the German trailers we've seen on our trips. Still would want to carefully plan trips, as so many old roads are soooo narrow. 

We've honestly found cabin camping and minivan camping to be more sensible for us, abroad.

Edited by SeaDawg
Typo
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Henry, are you planning to use the trailer in Europe,  and ship back and forth? Your original post says "currently living in Europe. " 

Or, are you moving/returning to the US? 

If you're looking for a camper for Europe,  I suspect there are a number of good brands there, already.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Was thinking of traveling to US/CA for buying it, then return back to Europe. Any good alternatives to Oliver in EU would be great to hear about. Due respect towards build-quality, great engineering, I would considering something around 60k in case if other options to propane would be available, such as diesel generator or wood stove, as in place of area in proximity of propane containers.

Edited by HenryM

1 hour ago, HenryM said:

Got initial impression over price from here: https://rvshare.com/blog/check-oliver-legacy-elite-travel-trailer/

I’m sorry you used that page as a reference, it is so VERY wrong. I posted a comment about the price down at the Comments section, long ago. The page has still not been corrected. Used Olivers hold their value extremely well, especially in this very strange Covid situation, you won’t find a cheap used one. Maybe after everybody is well again, the economy recovers and people are not so frantic to buy an RV, the used price will drop. But it won’t be by a lot. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

• Moderators

I don't know of if the Edwin Hymer caravans got off the ground in Europe, but I saw some at the rv supershow in Tampa a few years back. Molded fiberglass . Pop top on some models. Lightweight. Nice finishes. I think all were single axle.

https://www.sicardrv.com/blog/post/the-new-2019-erwin-hymer-touring-gt-travel-trailer/

If they did, and you see a used one, I'd take a look. 

No, they're not Olivers, with our double hull. But significantly lighter, and easier to tow. Never got introduced  here, that I  know of.

Smaller ones were a revival of sorts if the Eriba puck, one if my favorite tiny trailers of all time.

Edited by SeaDawg
Add info

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

So, I  ran across this today. There's at least one usa owner of the Hymer gt touring.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

As considering buying options, I will try to count in Hymer gt touring if finding place to buy, while considering also Fendt-caravan brand as possible option. There's some clutter-rich design with the ones from eu - feeling less solid, less strong build, and feeling more as the kinds of Forest River. The ones of Oliver feel more like minimalist-design as of Tesla interior, where each part seems to have meaning of practicality. Would be great if Oliver travel trailer, with propane alternatives, could be purchased in eu. But if not, as I am going to self-modify after buying anyway, not ruling out Oliver yet. Have to consider the amount of work/time it would take if I'd go by the route of replacing propane parts of earlier version of Oliver.

• Like 1

we have a T@B by nucamp  and love the alde heat, although the hot water portion of the boiler sprung a leak so no hot water but the glycol heat still works. nucamp said $2,500 for replacement so we might dive into this spring with a stainless welder. wishing I would have bought a few of the used Oliver's I passed up last year prior to covid 

Interesting idea and topic.  While most anything can be accomplished with enough money, time, and determination;  I wonder if this is practical.  Given the budget, a used Oliver is minimally going to cost $45k if you are lucky, difference in hitches,  120 electric, plumbing fittings, desire to change heating systems, plus the cost of shipping and probably vat tax, and likely registration issues, I would think finding a suitable used European trailer that can be modified might be more practical.  I think Oliver is terrific but there must be something in the European market.  The Hymer looked interesting.  I wonder if something from one of the Nordic countries would provide the cold weather amenities you desire.  Good luck  I will be interested to see how this turns out.