Modified Receiver Hitch

Minnesota Oli

That is very slick. Is the 2” receiver aluminum? If so, can you share a link? It looks like this but with a much heavier wall thickness.....https://www.fayettedistribution.com/Andersen-2-1-2-to-2-Aluminum-Hitch-Reducer-p/3800.htm

It is REALLY hard to locate a 2” bolt on receiver that isn’t steel. I would like to see a closeup of how it is attached please. I can’t figure out how you did it....

7F6F8B44-FA06-4394-AEE1-9B49C8702BD8.jpeg.7330a4ac439c0bc706187a496b3c7624.jpeg

Do you have a pic of the unaltered Ollie hitch? I haven’t actually seen one. Does the receiver still clear the ground when going over a dip? It looks as if the crossmember underneath would drag first.

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, mountainoliver said:

That looks great! Are the two aluminum bars that mount the frame solid 2x2?

Hey Ken, yes it is! This allows me to drill and tap the pieces. I used 1/2 in stainless steel bolts going through the frame and up into the 2X2. The cross member is from the existing receiver hitch. I pulled the plugs on the ends and inserted a solid piece of aluminum. I then bolted through them and into the 2X2 with stainless steel bolts.  

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

That is very slick. Is the 2” receiver aluminum? If so, can you share a link? is it this reducer? .....https://www.fayettedistribution.com/Andersen-2-1-2-to-2-Aluminum-Hitch-Reducer-p/3800.htm

It is REALLY hard to locate a 2” bolt on receiver that isn’t steel. I would like to see a closeup of how it is attached please. I can’t figure out how you did it....

7F6F8B44-FA06-4394-AEE1-9B49C8702BD8.jpeg.7330a4ac439c0bc706187a496b3c7624.jpeg

Do you have a pic of the unaltered Ollie hitch? I haven’t actually seen one. Does the receiver still clear the ground when going over a dip? It looks as if the crossmember underneath would drag first.

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

Hi John - This receiver is aluminum and I fabricated it out of a solid piece. I wanted something that would mate up to the cross member that already had 4 holes drilled for the factory 1-1/4 inch receiver. So, my receiver has holes drilled through the length of the wall and I added 2 stainless steel plates at the bottom and top which the bolts are threaded into.

The receiver sits at 17 inches and the cross member of the trailer is at about 14 inches, so plenty of room.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the old hitch. It consisted of 2 pieces of aluminum square tubing, 1 sliding inside the other with pins to secure. Now the 2 inch solid takes the place of them. The cross member was mounted on top which hampered you from pulling the spare tire cover off, so you had to remove the pins and pull the hitch before you could get to it. These were difficult because they would bind when pulling the hitch off. I mounted the cross member below the 2 inch so now no interference getting the spare cover off. The only negative is when you flip open the door to access the sewage pipes you have a little bit less room to reach in, but very do-able.

IMG_6403.jpg

IMG_6402.jpg

IMG_6401.jpg

IMG_6408.jpg

IMG_6407.jpg

IMG_6409.jpg

IMG_6410.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Minnesota Oli said:

Hi John - This receiver is aluminum and I fabricated it out of a solid piece. 

IMG_6402.jpg

That is gorgeous, can you tell me how you did it? I have seen a similar one but it was welded up from four pieces of 1/2” plate. I am guessing you have a background in metal fabrication? You just can’t find a heavy wall aluminum receiver extrusion with the correct inside dimensions for a regular 2” ball mount or bike rack. I am sure that is why Oliver makes their own 1.5” receivers “in house”.

I am really blown away, I have to complement you on your skills. I would like to shake your hand. 😬 The only thing that would bother me would be ramming that pretty part into a boulder while backing into a campsite.

I found the material..... https://alcobrametals.com/product/3-6061-t6-extruded-square-bar/ .... I wonder what a machine shop would charge to remove all that inside metal....?

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 1/28/2021 at 12:15 AM, John E Davies said:

That is gorgeous, can you tell me how you did it? I have seen a similar one but it was welded up from four pieces of 1/2” plate. I am guessing you have a background in metal fabrication? You just can’t find a heavy wall aluminum receiver extrusion with the correct inside dimensions for a regular 2” ball mount or bike rack. I am sure that is why Oliver makes their own 1.5” receivers “in house”.

I am really blown away, I have to complement you on your skills. I would like to shake your hand. 😬 The only thing that would bother me would be ramming that pretty part into a boulder while backing into a campsite.

I found the material..... https://alcobrametals.com/product/3-6061-t6-extruded-square-bar/ .... I wonder what a machine shop would charge to remove all that inside metal....?

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

I misspoke that it came out of a solid piece. Here are some pics to look at. I used what I had on hand. It was one piece that was 3 '' by 2'' and cut a 2 '' wide by 1 1/2 '' deep slot down the length of it. The other was 3 '' x 1 '' and cut a 2 '' wide by 1/2 '' deep slot down the length of it. I used a quantity of four 1/4 - 20 '' stainless steel socket head cap screw to fasten together. Then drilled four 3/8 '' hole through side wall, two per side to match the existing holes that were in the factory cross member. I reinforced the mount with stainless steel plate top and bottom because of the 3/8 '' through holes in the 1/2 '' wall of receiver. 

image1 (1).jpeg

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image0 (1).jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Well, making that from two pieces and then bolting them together with recessed cap screws is even more impressive, I can barely see the parting line. Do you have a big milling machine? Loooong ago I had access to such tools, I wish I still did....

I find it very satisfying to work with aluminum. I suspect that applies to you too.

John Davies

Spokane WA