First Real Camping Day Pic!

Moonlight Mile

18 hours ago, JRK said:

If you don’t smell the odor now, it was most likely the first splash residual until it aired out. Maybe a spray bottle with a diluted vinegar solution for such cleaning? It will clean the spillage and odors. But still needs to air out. Open windows/doors use a fan and freeze but odor needs to escape. Or just wait once it is cleaned to naturally air out. 
no different than a perfume. It will hang out for a while. You are learning about air movement inside trailer. 

where was Walmart? I either need to shop before I get there, or after I park. Leaning toward waiting. 

enjoy. 

The Walmart at Lawrenceburg is nicer than the one in Hohenwald, assuming you are staying at David Crockett SP after delivery.  We settled into our campsite before going shopping.  It's about a 15 minute drive; maybe less.  Seen in the Walmart parking lot:

Lawrenceburg Walmart parking lot.jpeg

• Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

8 hours ago, SherMica said:

Look! I backed up without Annoying Park Assist thing on, and this almost looks doable alone when it comes time to re-hitch, am I right? Used the Ram’s backup camera. 

DDC26D9C-FF2F-4C93-9BF6-F1BFDA21EC60.jpeg

4C519B0F-613E-435A-9705-665D385F0467.jpeg

Perfect!!!!  You've got it 👏

• Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

I have died and gone to heaven. Family requests no flowers. Just laughs. Bought a Jetpack today. No time to set up yet of course. Will write my goofy crap at https://whendogsdrive.com when I get more settled — and learn how to hitch and a few thousand other little details. FYI, folks. Thank you ALL.

F24373E4-6F3D-4A64-8899-AEF36CB6BACE.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

Very nice night shot, are you using an iPhone? If so, which one? My wife bought an 11 Pro with the new triple lens camera. Night Mode takes some jaw dropping images.

I am glad you are happy.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

Very nice night shot, are you using an iPhone? If so, which one? My wife bought an 11 Pro with the new triple lens camera. Night Mode takes some jaw dropping images.

I am glad you are happy.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John, yep, using 11 Pro. It makes anything at night look awesome. Another good example of tech-wonderful and not problematically “predictive” (i.e., newer Ram trucks slamming on brakes because it thinks you’re about to roll back over a baby carriage but really it’s just the ball on your hitch thingy). Disabled that. Today  it decided I should not back up because a FedEx truck was parked, empty, blocking me. I will figure out what “it” thought was “wrong” with my Evil Plan tomorrow (or when I get “time”) and disable THAT annoying safety over-do feature as well. 37 computers in a truck? I sit there going, “OPEN THE POD BAY DOORS, HAL.” Aheh.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

Yes I’m still up. Outside in cold. Full moon. Gorgeous. I love my Ollie so much I married it and had its babies. Thank you ALL. Again. 

Second pic is my OCD-thang (ref: John Davies reply re: “yellow thing” as I call it.)

I’m verruh techy about all these parts, as you can see. Hee.

9B4F3B52-CC67-48FA-9DD6-8C0B6786ABC4.jpeg

9294F83C-7E0A-4A37-8C11-4DBA26F2B37B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

Thank you for your posts. They make me giggle.  We have a Ram that slammed its brakes on while we were backing up  at David Crockett SP too. We were fairly new to the truck and completely new to the Ollie, WTH?? Jumped out to see what we had hit or were about to hit, nothing there. It took us a bit of testing but we finally figured out it was the ball and hitch thingy!  Scared the crap out of me. Honestly, I have so much admiration for anyone who does this alone. Even doing it with a partner can be nerve-wracking but at least you have someone to bounce ideas off! Our dog, Fiona, thinks she can drive too although she wants to drive our Prius more than the Ram. Happy travels and hope to meet you some day.  Paula

• Like 3

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

ShirMica,

What Site # @ DCSP are you in?   We were in #62 for our initial stay for  factory pickup &  "Read the Manual" time.

Just trying to get my bearings based upon your pic's.

Bryan

Edited by SNY SD UP
  • Like 1

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

4 hours ago, GraniteStaters said:

Thank you for your posts. They make me giggle.  We have a Ram that slammed its brakes on while we were backing up  at David Crockett SP too. We were fairly new to the truck and completely new to the Ollie, WTH?? Jumped out to see what we had hit or were about to hit, nothing there. It took us a bit of testing but we finally figured out it was the ball and hitch thingy!  Scared the crap out of me. Honestly, I have so much admiration for anyone who does this alone. Even doing it with a partner can be nerve-wracking but at least you have someone to bounce ideas off! Our dog, Fiona, thinks she can drive too although she wants to drive our Prius more than the Ram. Happy travels and hope to meet you some day.  Paula

This is exactly my situation! Very new to truck, have had NO TIME (I must say this ten thousand times a day, "I have had NO TIME TO READ OR LEARN ______") to read manual for truck, much less Ollie stuff. A major move across states, during tax time, and changing from "sticks and bricks" to "nomad" and issues with mail service, change of address, every e-service thing you can thing of, accounts, internet/wifi-stuff, what to pack, not pack, driving, not sleeping, OTT Orientation overwhelm WITH SICK DOG, then throw in just "general" non-sick-DOG to deal with 24/7 and general stress and never having towed much less operated any RV or even set FOOT in an RV. Yes, you can say it is nerve-wracking PLUS! :-) Oh, and all during an annoying-so-over-this-crap "lockdown." Thanks Paula, for the kind words!

I disabled the rear park assist on Ram but some other "helpful" feature is still telling me I can't back up when I want to. It really does feel like the HAL9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey" is running my truck. HAL won't let me drive like I need to. He will NOT open the pod bay doors. He slams on the brakes suddenly for no reason. He engages my parking brake when I say the word "taco." Kidding, but it feels about that random and weird! 

• Haha 1

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

In keeping with my tradition on this thread, now I have a rather serious OFF TOPIC issue:

At Delivery Day last Tuesday, the tech hitching the Andersen to my TV (and I was videoing all), said hmmm the safety cable (breakaway) would not reach my actual truck metal, and so he put it on a link up on one of the two chains, "near" my actual truck body. But not attached TO my truck frame.

I asked if this was normal. He said it would be ok. Something to that effect. As a new person to towing anything at all, I accepted the answer.

Today I got another opinion and more expressed surprise that this cable DOES NOT reach all way to the actual metal of my truck frame. 

I know you are all familiar with these breakaway things, but still attaching pics of mine. Mine is just like yours, except it does not reach my truck frame to attach onto the truck frame, as I believe (was told) it should. That is the whole point of it, right? If your chains fail, the breakaway is the last ditch to keep the trailer from breaking away from the TV.

Yes, I am brand new to all this. The last thing I want to worry about is the trailer breaking loose, etc. Sure, it may be ok, but should I get this addressed by OTT? It is weekend as I type this. I really cannot go back to HOHENWALD Monday, I am preparing to leave this SP early TUES AM. (I am at the campground they put you up in after delivery, things are ok, just on elec for now. Info overload BIG TIME. ) So, I leave Tues AM, breaking a long drive into halves, of 5-6 hrs of driving, stopping halfway at a SP (reserved) Tues night) so I am not over tired or arriving after dark trying to unhitch and hook up elec. On this journey I will be on almost ALL interstate (yes, in right lane) for 5-6 hours each of the two legs of trip.

(Note: I had considered going on a slower speed and even scenic route -- before this new concern about the breakaway cable even came up -- but I simply cannot do that for many reasons, scheduling and business-related. And FOR ME, the stress of traveling a completely unfamiliar route won't help me, it will hurt me at this point. (Interstates are known to me, and thus LESS stressful, in that I know there will be gas, food, rest areas, and help if I need it, and I have been on these particular interstates many times. As a new FT RVer the last thing I need right now is more stress. Please. Still at breaking point at times. TIA.

Safety 1.jpg

Safety 2.jpg

Safety 3.jpg

Edited by SherMica

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

until those (Davies et.al.) more knowledgeable than I  chime in, here is a thread i found.  copy paste into Search Arg, and you will get a good read. 

Trailer Emergency Breakaway Cable - Original Factory Cable Not Long enough

i want to say my cable is about 4' long.  sorry i cannot give you an exact measurement, as #665 is across town hibernating.

there once was a "Forum'r"  who accidently "Stepped" on his, engaging it, he plugged it back in by hand, and drove down the road, with ppl waving at him, until he looked back and saw smoke coming out of wheel wells and realized his brakes were engaged...  realizing he did not re-insert properly.  i have been very careful not to step on mine.  And i will be buying the red "Pig-Tail" type cable.  I KNOW NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR, BUT SOMETHING YOU NEED TO BE CAUTIOUS ABOUT...

• Like 1

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• Moderators

What you need is something like THIS.  Simply attach the big hook end to you truck and the other end to your existing "breakaway cable".

However, this entire length should not be toooo long nor tooooo short in that you want it to not drag on the ground nor do you want it so short that you can't make turns without it activating your trailer brakes.

Note that this "thingy" does not help maintain contact between your truck and the trailer.   Its purpose is to apply the brakes of your Ollie in the event the Ollie becomes detached from your truck so that the Ollie will not continue to roll down the road without you.

It is more than likely that Tractor Supply has one of these in stock and either the guys in Service or at virtually any trailer/camper shop can adjust it properly.  If it were me, once I had one of these extensions in hand I'd look for a fellow camper who looked like they knew what they were doing and ask them to install it for you.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I can't tell what your distance is, from your photos 

If I remember correctly,  you should have 24 inches of play.

You have time. Take it. 

Use it  

Take your trailer back in next week, talk to Jason, and get it right. If it's wrong.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

What day is your appointment in texas?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Another reason for me to be apprehensive of Oliver. 
The solution Bill provided is spot on, BUT totally and completely NOT acceptable to need to give it. The connection and solution you were provided by Oliver would be illegal in California, and as you figured, defeats the purpose. 
one of the things that you should not do is what you were told as being ok. Do not connect the emergency brake breakaway cable to the safety chain. 
Forum, this is a $60,000 vehicle. Why this solution allowed by Oliver? That cable should be manufactured, assembled, at delivery to fit the tow vehicle,  or the tow vehicle info should be collected and the cable prepared prior to delivery. 
Sheri. You are going to be fine. You see issues that do not make sense and ask questions. Enjoy. 

• Like 2

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

What you need is something like THIS.  Simply attach the big hook end to you truck and the other end to your existing "breakaway cable".

However, this entire length should not be toooo long nor tooooo short in that you want it to not drag on the ground nor do you want it so short that you can't make turns without it activating your trailer brakes.

Note that this "thingy" does not help maintain contact between your truck and the trailer.   Its purpose is to apply the brakes of your Ollie in the event the Ollie becomes detached from your truck so that the Ollie will not continue to roll down the road without you.

It is more than likely that Tractor Supply has one of these in stock and either the guys in Service or at virtually any trailer/camper shop can adjust it properly.  If it were me, once I had one of these extensions in hand I'd look for a fellow camper who looked like they knew what they were doing and ask them to install it for you.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Seems like OTT would have furnished a better way of dealing with this. I will try to get to Tractor Supply tomorrow. Most campers appear to be leaving tomorrow. If I can’t find anyone around who is knowledgeable on this, what am I supposed to do? Drive with it attached to the chain where the OTT orientation guy had it placed? I will have no way of knowing if it is activating the trailer brakes, is that correct? I mean, until people are waving or there is a “situation?” This makes me very nervous indeed. 

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

44 minutes ago, JRK said:

Another reason for me to be apprehensive of Oliver. 
The solution Bill provided is spot on, BUT totally and completely NOT acceptable to need to give it. The connection and solution you were provided by Oliver would be illegal in California, and as you figured, defeats the purpose. 
one of the things that you should not do is what you were told as being ok. Do not connect the emergency brake breakaway cable to the safety chain. 
Forum, this is a $60,000 vehicle. Why this solution allowed by Oliver? That cable should be manufactured, assembled, at delivery to fit the tow vehicle,  or the tow vehicle info should be collected and the cable prepared prior to delivery. 
Sheri. You are going to be fine. You see issues that do not make sense and ask questions. Enjoy. 

Thank you. I agree. I do not intend to disparage OTT, but yes, I am shocked at this. A $60k trailer and a brand new person who knows zero about any of it, and it was attached to the chain at Delivery Day and I videoed it and asked “Why is it too short?” And now, it has since been unattached and reattached and is perhaps not in the correct place at all, for all I know. I am terrified.

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

I can't tell what your distance is, from your photos 

If I remember correctly,  you should have 24 inches of play.

You have time. Take it. 

Use it  

Take your trailer back in next week, talk to Jason, and get it right. If it's wrong.

I have to leave. A schedule. Appts. Sigh. Even driving it back to Hohenwald first thing Monday AM when they open, knowing it may not be right during that drive all the way back, is . . . well.

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

Safety breakaway wires are necessary.  But, very rarely used.

I towed  thousands of miles with my dad, without ever needing them. But, when you do, you do.

You're fine, going 30 miles to Hohenwald,  to check it out. Check your connections when you hitch up. The bulldog is pretty much foolproof, imo. If you are hitched, have the collar lock on place, you're golden. You can't lock the collar  if you're not hitched properly. At least, I don't know how you can screw it up. 

Don't think I could

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

If your breakaway is connected with proper distance, your emergency brakes will engage, should your trailer "break away ."

Thats the purpose of the cable.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

This should have been hooked up properly when you picked up your trailer.  I towed with a Rebel and the break away reached to the truck.

Having said that, you don’t need to lose any sleep over this.  Especially with the Andersen, if you ensure the bulldog is on the ball right, chances are slim to none that you will have an issue.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

So, if you hook up, think you're good, pull ahead 20 feet, and check. You'll see. 

If  you're on the ball, all is tight. 

I wish I were there to see, but the only way you can engage the collar lock is if you are TOTALLY missing the ball connection. 

Edited by SeaDawg
Typo
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

As the other "opinion" on this issue - I was somewhat surprised to discover the BAS cable was not long enough to reach the same connection spot as the chain hook. The Oliver folks had simply connected it to the chain, as shown in Sheri's pics - but also not routed it in a workmanlike manner.  The cable was NOT sufficiently long enough to reach any vehicle I have experienced.  

Given what was available at the time - the current connection was and is sufficient - but can be improved very simply - heck a few looped HD ty bands would do the trick.

Oliver  delivery personnel should have remedied this at delivery - in my view.  

I will add - the Anderson hook up - a much improved design over the one I had - stinks - when it comes to pinning the whale tale.  A novice - if they don't cuss- will - after fussing with the pin. Get a grinder - bevel the pin, and loosen the damn chains. Otherwise - find a sailor and  go to town......

Sheri - you don't have to do anything - but later, you can make it more better- . 

Edited by BackofBeyond
  • Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

BoB, from what you have said, I agree. 

If I were Sheri, I would drive in in Monday, and get a better connection .

From what I see, from the photos, the disconnect "would"  probably  work. I don't like it either, but it should work in an emergency. 

I'd want to get it replaced 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

9 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

BoB, from what you have said, I agree. 

If I were Sheri, I would drive in in Monday, and get a better connection .

From what I see, from the photos, the disconnect "would"  probably  work. I don't like it either, but it should work in an emergency. 

I'd want to get it replaced 

Supposed to snow in HOH tomorrow. Almost out of cell data.

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png