Inverter-Generators

dewdev

This post is a follow-up to my previous post regarding generators. I plan to do a fair amount of boondocking and am getting my 2018 Oliver Ellite II, Hull #354  (new to me) ready for this coming camping season. I have a 13,500 kw AC unit with 4 AGM batteries.

After talking to the Oliver people, they recommend a 3500 amp starting surge (3000 amp running) generator to be able to run the AC, charge the 4 AGM batteries and run the remainder of the trailer componets.

I plan to purchase a gas run generator and will be looking for one with a gas line shut-off to be able to drain the carb of fuel when finished running for the day.

What size generators are you Oliver owners finding works for you?

What can you operate at the same time with the size generator you are using?

I have the S.S. storage basket on the front of the Oliver and would perfer to keep the generator there. Are people using chains to secure the generators in this basket so they do not get stolen?

Thanks for your help

Richard 

Edited by dewdev

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

We bought a dual fuel Champion 3500.  

Pros:  

• Price is much less than comparable Honda or Yamaha.
  • Running on propane keeps the units clean and they don't have fumes after running when stored.
  • Noise level = noise level under load is the same a the Honda 3000 and unloaded just a couple dB louder.
  • It has 3150 Starting for AC's and is plenty beefy to run both the battery chargers and other appliances while running AC.
  • Built in 30 amp connector that matches our shore power cables.

Con:
Weight - it is heavier than the 2200 line but it has a handle and wheels which makes moving it pretty easy.

Uses:

We have found even with Solar, we sometimes need the generator when boondocking to charge batteries in cloudy weather. 
We can run the AC on this unit, and it also runs the on board battery charger at the same time.

A standard size 20gal BBQ propane tank can run this thing for a total of 15 hours. 
We normally run it about 3 hrs/day so for a 20 gal BBQ tank, that means 5 days, or using one of our Oliver 30 gallon tanks for about 8-9 days.

Link to an online review:

1293671356_ScreenShot2021-01-28at7_22_42AM.png.36dfe5e12083773a3e230d459545d5af.png

• Like 2

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

ctsshort09

Thanks for your info.

Where do you kept the generator when camping and not using the generator? Oliver storage box or in your truck?

Maine 

Google “rv appliance load chart” images, take your pick, print it out and study it. If you have the built in surge suppressor, you can relocate the “remote” display to a location that is easily viewed from inside. The display will tell you how many amps are being consumed through the shore power circuit.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2337-how-to-relocate-the-surge-suppressor-remote-display/

If your AC does not have the Soft Start kit, install one, that helps with the big surge when the motor first starts up.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John:

Thanks for the chart. My Oliver has the soft start kit in the AC which was part of the original build.

My surge suppressor display is mount on an interior wall in the Oliver.

Where do you keep your generator when it is not running?

Edited by dewdev

Maine 

• Moderators

We had a Champion 3400 Dual Fuel, great generator.  It just got a bit heavy for me to lift up to the tailgate.  I sold it and bought a Champion 2K which is one third the weight (37 lbs).  It’s easy to handle and starts the AC.  It also did a fine job charging my AGMs.  Now that I’ve switched to Lithium’s, I can’t comment yet on how it does with them.  We’re going out Sunday for a few weeks, so we’ll see.  Both generators reside in the bed of the truck under the tonneau cover when not in use.  With the 3400 I just ran it on the tailgate since it was so heavy.  The smaller generator is moved out of the truck bed before use.  Mike

54024F6C-9670-48D1-98E3-929C531989FB.jpeg

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

24 minutes ago, dewdev said:

John:

Thanks for the chart. My Oliver has the soft start kit in the AC which was part of the original build.

My surge suppressor display is mount on an interior wall in the Oliver.

Where do you keep your generator when it is not running?

Many people - when camped, just leave it in place - securely locked to the trailer frame. If that is not to your liking, then in the rear of a truck, or perhaps SUV ( I don't like that).  If you have the front tray (as I) that is a fine place to store and carry the unit. Now - with the soft start - many here get by on the smaller gen sets. That is your choice. - I prefer the lighter 2000+/- watt units. As an aside - I don't understand why the manufactures don't offer a 2500 watt (or so) 60 lbs. unit - between the current offerings - 

Your Oliver and ours are close siblings - 5 later is ours.  

Edit - seems I was wrong - again - There is at least one 2500 watt out there. 2500-Watt Inverter - Champion Power Equipment

Edited by BackofBeyond
correction

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Sorry for the delay, we keep the generator in the back of truck as we don't always need it at each campsite.
I am able to chain it up if needed while running. 

We keep a Rubbermaid Roughneck tote in the Tongue Box. 
It holds all our chocks, blocks and tools for hitching & unhitching.
I fits in with a bit of room around the edges...which is where we stow the bungee's when we're camping.

1648746584_ScreenShot2021-01-28at1_54_36PM.png.fe5c470f515ba3d3fb631def765eaf3c.png

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators
4 hours ago, BackofBeyond said:

Edit - seems I was wrong - again - There is at least one 2500 watt out there. 2500-Watt Inverter - Champion Power Equipment

Several "other brands" do offer the midpoint. At a weight I can lift. (Champion, Westinghouse,  etc.)

Not sure if anyone offers dual fuel at that range, though. Someone eventually will. Because it's so often asked for.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

We have the dual fuel Champion that is rated for sustained 28xx/29xx watts using Propane.  I leave it in the back of the truck and pull it forward insuring the exhaust doesn't hit anything that might get too hot or even melt.  I have an additional regulator and hoses to connect to the Oliver Propane QC.  I plug in the neutral grounding plug, the 30amp TT power cable provided by Oliver and get the generator started.  If it is raining I do have a tent to use on the generator to keep the electronics dry.  This generator does have a battery powered starter.  If you don't run this unit regularly, the battery charge will need to be maintained to extend its life.  I will never run this using gasoline, but can use a standard propane cylinder setup with accessories Champion ships with the unit.  I have used this unit at home to power my furnace or during an outage in the summer, my refrigerator.

I have used my Honda EU2000i too that runs on gasoline.  It works fine too and also requires the neutral bonding plug so I do have two of those, one I made and one purchased on Amazon.  When you add the weight of the gasoline you would carry, the weight is almost equivalent.  

David

• Like 2

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

I think there are a few people here with the Champion 2500, but I  don't know if they use it to run the ac.

Our gas westinghouse 2500 inverter will power our ac, but it's a smaller ac. @BackofBeyond has the same Westinghouse,  and I'm pretty sure he's tried it. Don't remember if he has a soft start on the ac. Do you?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 months later...
On 5/28/2021 at 12:01 PM, SeaDawg said:

I think there are a few people here with the Champion 2500, but I  don't know if they use it to run the ac.

Our gas westinghouse 2500 inverter will power our ac, but it's a smaller ac. @BackofBeyond has the same Westinghouse,  and I'm pretty sure he's tried it. Don't remember if he has a soft start on the ac. Do you?

Would the Champion Dual fuel 2500 be about to charge my lithium batteries?

• Moderator+
1 hour ago, kathief said:

Would the Champion Dual fuel 2500 be about to charge my lithium batteries?

It would not have any problem putting a charge into the batteries. How long it would take to fully charge them will be dependent on several factors.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg