Ram Multifunction tailgate (barn doors). Useful?

John E Davies

This is about a $1000 option, it seems like it could be quite useful. If you have one, do you like it, and when do you open them sideways?  How about the optional center step? Worth it? It is only for the 1500 but I would be very surprised if it were not a HD option soon, depending on sales numbers I suppose.

26E2B5F1-D26D-400B-8D26-80ACD1B4DD32.thumb.jpeg.6d8e04d0bd15487ba7a408ce91fc7b60.jpeg

I could see carrying a generator on the right side, mounted on a slide out tray. Pull out the slide, close the opposite door, close and lock the canopy hatch. Run the generator while the bed contents are hidden and mostly locked up. Neat.

Downsides are initial expense, extra weight reduces payload, future maintenance issues, theft risk, repair cost. Do the advantges outweigh the negatives? There is already a big tailgate recall for late model Rams, for the standard gate latch breaking and allowing stuff to fall out on the highway. This gate would most likely be harder to keep “running” correctly.

Comments?

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We’ve gone ahead and ordered this year’s HD, but there are 2 things I wish it had:  a telescoping steering wheel and the multi-function tailgate. I think this tailgate would make it so much easier to climb in and out of the back. I would have gone for it in a heartbeat if it were available. 

• Thanks 1

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

Climbing in and out gets to be a really big deal as you age. If you were to install a minimalist camper like this, the MF Tailgate would be wonderful for access. You wouldn’t even need a little step ladder.

B306F986-1A6F-4079-B70A-D76443C10079.jpeg.4b001c7f32d16063aa3168acf4122bab.jpeg

Review and interesting comments below..... It sounds as if the weight carrying capacity has been misrepresented in the press. It is 300 pounds static, not 2000 pounds! And the latch mechanism in the bottom of the bed might be prone to getting jammed with sand or grit.

https://5thgenrams.com/first-drive-2020-ram-1500-ecodiesel-lineup/

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Found the weight, according to the narrator the additional frame and structure add 75 pounds to the tailgate weight. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=55&v=mLWRPOKae9g&feature=emb_logo

IMHO that is way too much of a penalty for a 1500 with limited payload. For a HD truck, it wouldn’t bother me.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Moderators

When I looked at buying a Rebel the end of 2019 I found one with both Ram Boxes and the MF Tailgate.  Unfortunately, that put payload down to about 1100lbs.  I opted for one with out the tailgate.  I was hoping they would offer it on the 2500, but they haven’t so far.  Seems like it would be very handy at the campsite to reach items in the bed more easily.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

I don't know about the Ram, but, when I bought my F150 my salesman basically talked me into buying the tailgate step.  I reasoned that with the number of retired persons in my area this feature just might help with resale on down the road.  However, this step has become another one of those things that I thought was "fluff" - like heated seats and heated steering wheel.  It really is helpful.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

The appeal of the split tailgate to me is also the ability to close the tailgate more easily when inside (when camped with just the truck and no trailer).  The shell window/door is easy enough to close when inside, but a regular tailgate -- even a damped one -- is much more difficult.  Our current truck has a shell with double doors (i.e., no tailgate), but going this route with a newer truck eliminates the factory-installed tailgate camera system, which is too useful to eliminate.

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel