coat of gel coat ?

hbschof

• Moderators

I don't believe that you can actually re-apply gel coat without sanding down to the fiberglass underneath and even then I think that there would be difficulties.  There are a number of threads about this subject over on the Fiberglass RV Forums.

Usually the preferred method is to polish the "chaulk" (sp) off and give it a good coat of wax.  If, indeed the gelcoat is beyond repair then people resort to things similar to floor sealer after they have polished off the chalk.  I'd first check with a good detail and/or boat shop before proceeding.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

You can usually bring gelcoat back with fine rubbing compound, and buffing, waxing etc.

Gelcoat isn't a paint, or a coating. It's fiberglass, without the "fiber", and sprayed onto the mold before the rest of the fiberglass is built up.

The gelcoat on our trailer is marine grade, fairly thick, and you'd be surprised at what some buffing and waxing can do. Even when it looks chalky and tired.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Yes, fwiw I recently rehabbed the long neglected white fiberglass top of a sixteen year old camper van with a buffer and two steps of buffing compound and then some paste wax, per pointers SeaDawg had given somewhere on the forum to Practical Sailor magazine, which has a fantastic set of articles on the topic including well done tests/reviews of various products for each step. I used it as an excuse to get another power tool 🙂  - I went with a pretty decent Shurhold dual action buffer rather than the awesomely powerful but perhaps hard for newbies to handle DeWalt - forsaking a little efficiency in favor of not burning my fiberglass. It will come in handy for the regular wax jobs required for the trailer too (presuming I stick with the paste wax which does seem to do a pretty great job). Here's one of the multiple PS articles I read to help guide me through this rewarding if time consuming task. There are businesses that do fiberglass work that will probably be up for doing this for you as well - often clustered around businesses catering to boaters but not always. The van top now looks great and more importantly is not a dirt magnet as it had become, and water beads up and runs off instead of just spreading out in a film on the formerly very chalky surface.

Edited by Jim_Oker
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

Re-gelcoating is not even remotely practical.  It can be done but the cost would be well north of 10 - 15K and there is really no point in it.  If your gelcoat has gone beyond buffing and waxes, than painting is the next step.  This is done all the time with fibreglass boats.  In fact, I don't think I have ever heard of anyone re-gelcoating an entire boat ... small, damaged areas yes but not large surfaces.  You can do an amazingly good job by rolling and tipping some of the high tech paints commonly used in the marine trades and professionally done sprayed two part urethane paints will out-shine new gel coat.  When your Oliver reaches, say 40-50 it may need paint but not before.

Edited by Neuman's
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 5:38 PM, Neuman's said:

high tech paints commonly used in the marine trades and professionally done sprayed two part urethane paints will out-shine new gel coat.

Neuman's comments are 'right on the money'.

Gelcoat on boats (same as Oliver) commonly can be buffed and waxed to like new for easily 25+ years. The next step is painting with something like AwlGrip or AwlCraft and your ready for next 20 years.

• Like 1

'There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us,it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us'

> 2021 OTT EII , TAB Teardrop has good home after 10,000 miles of pleasant learning <

On 2/23/2021 at 6:30 PM, rideandfly said:

We have had good results on Ollie using Meguiar's #67 Marine/RV one step compound then Meguiar's Flagship Marine wax.

IMG_5726-L.jpg

3M also makes a good marine fiberglass/gel coat restorer and protectant: https://www.amazon.com/3M-09005-Marine-Restorer-Wax/dp/B0000AY65X/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2VJ0S4J967QA31EBVEA1

There are several formulations, depending on the degree of oxidation.  We use this (for light oxidation) to restore and protect our fiberglass tub/shower.  Works great for built up soap scum.

Edited by Ray and Susan Huff
  • Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience with ceramic coatings such as Simonize GlassCoat on their Oliver?  I have used this on my autos & trucks for many years with very much success.  It is pricey up front; however, it eliminates waxing for many years. 

2021 Legacy Elite II  Twin Beds   "R-Villa" ~ Hull #803 

2021 GMC Denali HD, 6.6 L Duramax Turbo-Diesel, 10-speed Allison

ALARILINIAKYMNMSMOMTOHSDTNWIWYsm.jpg