City Water Pressure

dewdev

Is a pressure water reducer device necessary for my Elite II between the trailer and the city hook-up?

I used on for my past pop-up trailers but they did not have the robust pex tubing that Oliver uses.

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

We typically don't use it when parked in our own driveway, but everywhere else we do. Just like electrical "surges", you will never know when you need it until its too late...

Tom & Holly

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite I #409 - 2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3L Gas, 4x4 Z71, Dbl Cab, Std Bed

2023-10-16OliverCampedStates(medium).jpg.8e9964c26c7927a0077806565b9dcfc2.jpg

Yes, a regulator is strongly recommended.  Oliver provides a water pressure regulator at delivery but it isn’t adjustable and it doesn’t have a gauge.   Get one with a gauge and set the pressure to 35-40 psi.   Here’s the one I use.  

Renator M11-0660R Water Pressure Regulator Valve. Brass Lead-free Adjustable Water Pressure Reducer with Gauge for RV Camper, and Inlet Screened Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7JZTYX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7VKMEB2RZM3SRXQNCNCR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by FrankC
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

While on the subject - don't forget that during the summer months the sun will increase the pressure in those exposed hoses.  If you put your regulator at the pedestal source and have your supply hose laying in the sun, the pressure inside that hose could increase well above the desired limits.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

We've only hooked up to city water a handful of times in 13 years. We fill the tank, and work from that.

We recently bought a regulator, similar to the one franc posted. Thinking/hoping we will get to travel more, if we land at a full size hookup someday, might even be able to check out that "endless shower"  with our instantaneous water heater. 

• Haha 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I know, unlikely we'd ever do an endless shower. Even at home, I set a timer.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, dewdev said:

Is a pressure water reducer device necessary for my Elite II between the trailer and the city hook-up?

I used on for my past pop-up trailers but they did not have the robust pex tubing that Oliver uses.

Just depends- I don't recall any excessive pressure at any of the places we have used the water. However, mine is just part of my set-up, which also includes a filter. At my home - the pressure is about 110 - better have a reducer - the hose will not last long - esp in the sun. I have full pressure on the outside faucets

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
2 hours ago, dewdev said:

Yes.  We’ve stayed at campgrounds that warn about high water pressure and even loan water pressure regulators for those that don’t have them.  They aren’t expensive and it’s good to just get in the habit of using one.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

We collect our own water from rainwater, at home. We power our home (and boat, and trailer) with solar .

11 minutes ago, mjrendon said:

Is there an enforceable household rule that goes with your timer or is it just for your own amusement?

Not enforceable, but not for amusement.  Just always trying to maintain conservation values. 🙂

Even though we do, indeed, use more water at home. And, of course, more electricity. Our house is a bit bigger than our little Elite I trailer. 🙃

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

FrankC

I like your idea. When pop-up caming I had a pressure reducer that you could not set and I do not remember what it reduced the pressure to.

What do you set the pressure at on your device?

Thanks

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators

40 psi tends to be the most often cited standard.  However, the Oliver can handle pressures a tad higher but I would not go above 60 psi.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I have a full flow gauged regulator set at 60 psi, the cheap “cigar” ones do not so much regulate, as they do restrict the flow. They do not allow full flow at that non-adjustable reduced setting.

Screw a brass 90 degree garden hose  adapter onto the side City Water port, attach the regulator with the gauge facing you, and then a blue Camco inline filter, and lay the hose horizontally over the top of the bumper. This keeps the parts out of the dirt (about to turn to mud if you get a leak) and provide some strain relief for the fittings. And it makes your trailer look even more cool. Dirty hoses and cords lying haphazardly in a pile on the ground makes it look as if you don’t care about your equipment.🙂

Never leave the site faucet turned on when you leave the trailer unattended for more than a very short time. “Danger Will Robinson!” A supply hose failure will make a mess on the ground, and hopefully a neighbor will shut it off, but an internal failure like a line rupture or snapped elbow may severely flood the trailer. An Ollie can withstand a small leak, but a constant spurting geyser could flood the channels where the wires go, ruin electronics and the wood cabinets and might electrocute you too, if you are on shore power. I turn it off even for a short walk.

FYI: the two side water ports, the shower and their plumbing are very close to the inverter and electrical components under the street side bed. Maybe not the best location for water lines.... 

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

dewdev, 
We typically turn the city water off if when we are leaving our Ollie for a few hours or a full day excursion.
Just a best practiced we use.

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

The pressure regulator Frank lists is a real pressure regulator. There are cheaper devices listed on ebay that claim they are pressure regulators, but really just restrict the flow volume, not the pressure. Make sure that the pressure regulator you use is really a pressure regulator.

John

• Like 1

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited