Standard Floor Plan vs Twin Beds

Pat Maundrell

Pat,

We did it.  The bed rails were $225 each and shipping to the west coast was $85.  They attached with rivets and the installation was simple.  We did not install the drawer/table between the beds.  If you decide to do this, PM me and I can go over exactly how I installed them to keep them from squeaking.

Before, Bed Rails and After pictures.

Andrew

IMG_0901.JPG

Twin Bed Installation 5.JPG

Modified Twin.JPG

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

I like it!  Though the nightstand is nice, not having one seems more roomy.  And you have the hatch to access the back of the basement.  

Our twin bed Leisure Travel Van had a night stand, but it was at the same level as the mattresses.  You still had the platform to use for a nightstand.  It also made making the beds much easier.  Instead of the mattress insert, as pictured here, a small platform could be built to fit that space.  It could be made to flip over to double as a tray for carrying food, etc outside.

@AndrewK I see you have your blinds flipped.

Another edit: @AndrewK Did you also remove the TV, or order without?  We thought about doing this, but decided if at some point we don't want it, we can take it down.

Edited by Ray and Susan Huff
  • Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Thanks Ray/Susan!

I am 6'5" and sleep on my back with my elbows out.  I need the extra width, at what we use as the head of the bed, to be comfortable.  I extended the depth of the space between the mattresses a foot.  It is 18" w x 36" d.

When we want a hard surface between the beds (morning coffee) we place the sink cover on top of the center mattress and place our coffees there.

I found flipping the blinds to be very simple.  A few hard tugs to get them off and a few more thumps with the palm, to get them back on.  Once the top is aligned and attached, the bottom falls in place.

Andrew

Edited by AndrewK
Added additional comments.
  • Like 2

Andrew

• 2 months later...

Hey Andrew,

Like the conversion without the nightstand, notice you do not have table supports in the floor.    Before this conversion did you use the table top and set up the sleeping area as a full bed?

We are thinking of going the other direction from Twin to Standard to open up the sleeping area length wise.  I still have a few inches to grow before getting to 6'5" but it is still pretty tight between the cabinets and rear wall.  

Mike

Back In the Queue

Mike,

Before we ordered, we knew the dinette was going to be the only table we needed so we asked for the rear table mounts not to be installed.

Before camping in the trailer, we spent many an hour deciding on how to best live and sleep in the trailer. 

We first thought the "king" setup with a topper would be best and ordered a three inch memory foam topper.  When it was delivered, we found out the topper to cover the entire king bed area weighed almost 50 lbs. so, we reconsidered.  We were struggling with what it would take to make the bed up each night.  We also didn't like the idea of leaving it made up as a bed all of the time.  We felt it made the trailer feel too small and made access to the three rear upper cabinets less than convenient.

After hours of trying to figure out the best option/compromise, we came up with what we call the modified twin.  It has worked out very well for us.  We have easy access to the upper cabinets and there is no real compromise to the spacious feel of the standard twin.  We sleep with our heads toward the back of the trailer where the mattress is three feet deep and the width of the trailer, where we need it and 30 inches wide at the feet.  

The center mattress has also been a good place for our dog, when she is with us.  It keeps her off of the floor and out of the way.

Andrew

Andrew

Andrew,

Thank you this is very helpful

We currently own an LEII twin and a replacement in the order queue with Oliver. The one item we are still working through is twin vs std and the associated compromise around upper cabinet access and cushion/mattress configuration and storage.

Your experience working through this and creating the "modified twin" is likely the right balance between "options and compromise" for our situation as well.  We sleep in the same orientation and can easily forego the nightstand, now thinking the extra width at the head (rear of trailer) will open up the Twin configuration enough to improve sleeping space.  Unfortunately I am not ready to disturb the great caulk lines Oliver delivers to remove the nightstand on our current twin model to get a feel for the "modified twin".

Noticed in your second picture what looks like blue painters tape marking the extension of the center section, if I may ask, did Oliver provide the additional extension support or did you have that custom fabricated?  

Thank you

Mike

Back In the Queue

Mike,

When you get a standard floor plan, it comes with a rear table that is 39" long, that you use to fill in the space between the seating, to make the "king" bed.  The entire space is actually 51" long and requires an additional 12" filler that comes with the trailer.  

I used the 12" filler, that was white gelcoat fiberglass and fabricated it to fit the space.  The painters tape was to protect the piece when I was cutting it on the table saw.  I cut the ends off to make the filler 18" wide, the distance between the two twin bed rails.  I cut the ends down to use as the brackets to support the filler.

I can send you more detailed pictures.  If you are interested, message me your email address.

I would also be more that happy to discuss the topic with you further, over the phone.

Andrew   

Andrew

Does anyone know if you can get the twin bed risers that were sold some years ago as an option. Just wondering if parts might sell them, they were a great storage option, but you would need a ladder to get into bed. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.