Sales tax & Property tax in NC

fredmin

Hi I am thinking of buying an Elite II twin bed, I live in NC but also have an address in FL. I was wondering if forum members of both states could tell me what their experiences are with these taxes, the initial registration and subsequent annual property tax ( I believe none in FL).

Also heard about registering in MT...

First, welcome to the forum. I noticed you did not indicate if your purchasing new or used.
If your purchasing new this is generally what you can expect in North Carolina-
After you purchase and take delivery of a new Oliver in Tenn, you receive a 30 day Tenn temporary tag. Naturally you will need to register your Ollie before the expiration of that temporary grace period of the 30 day tag.

To register In NC, as a resident you will be required to show proof of purchase - your sales receipt, (and a CO or certificate of origin from Oliver), proof of insurance and then pay NC the sales tax. The CO is required to establish the new title for the state of NC. 
Once you pay the 3% sales tax on the total cost of your Ollie, title application fee, and all applicable registration fees and  a “cash” $5 notary fee you will receive a permanent “tin tag” that day.  I believe you can pay the registration and sales tax via personal check, or visa. You may want to call your local office and ask. The process is not difficult as long as you have ALL your required documents.
Then annually as a NC resident you are required to pay a property valuation tax and registration fee to receive a new registration and yearly sticker which you apply to your license plate which indicates your plate is legally registered in NC for the new year.
Any further details I may have overlooked can be found by going online to NCDMV or call your local DMV tag office. Hope this helps.

Maybe someone else can chime in on Florida and the Montana.

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

28 minutes ago, fredmin said:

Thanks for the detailed reply. How much does NC charge you annually for property tax on the Ollie?

The property tax in each county is different. You may want to check with the county you reside in. 

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

We keep Ollie in an airplane hangar in another North Carolina county that has lower tax rates compared to the NC county of our residence. Had to give NC DMV the airport address for where taxes are paid on Ollie, but they still mail the annual registration document to our home address for paying annual NC license registration and  tax fees.

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 1

LE2

In Florida, we have no annual property tax.   We pay a one-time sales tax, in my county it’s 7% total.   Annual tag and registration fee is < $50.   I don't know  if you can license your Oliver here if you are not a resident.  They validate my drivers license when I register a vehicle.  

• Like 2

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

3 hours ago, Hokieman said:

In Florida, we have no annual property tax.   We pay a one-time sales tax, in my county it’s 7% total.   Annual tag and registration  They validate my drivers license when I register a vehicle.  

Really like states without state income tax and no annual personal property taxes!  👍

• Like 1

LE2

TN - you pay sales tax up front - tags are about $30 year. 

No Income tax , no personal tax, very low property tax.  Sales tax - 8-10% depending on location. Hard to beat. 

RB

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

4 hours ago, BackofBeyond said:

TN - you pay sales tax up front - tags are about $30 year. 

No Income tax , no personal tax, very low property tax.  Sales tax - 8-10% depending on location. Hard to beat. 

RB

Planning next camping trip to TN to look at property. 👍

• Like 1

LE2

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

Planning next camping trip to TN to look at property. 👍

Don't forget that all States have basically the same expenses for social programs and infrastructure.  If they don't get it from you one way, they are sure to get it from you another.  Or, they will not be able to provide these services that society expects from governments.  😬

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Don't forget that all States have basically the same expenses for social programs and infrastructure.  If they don't get it from you one way, they are sure to get it from you another.  Or, they will not be able to provide these services that society expects from governments.  😬

And that is why - TN is such a bargain - one less income reduction drag, my stuff is mine - without state rental fee, etc... 

Regardless of expenses - (I will not argue with your assertion here - maybe over an adult bev one evening) ) TN somehow seems to keep within the income - expense  equation.  TN's don't expect as much - per capita - as some....

Not to dip into investment income theory - as long as I keep my income low - the feds get little to fuel your concerns - wealth creation is not always taxable - upfront.....

And with the recent fed give backs - I may come out  within earshot of even this year ....🤑🤑🤑

And My Oliver is still a great RV - Don't tell any one in the Fed - it may become something of note....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Fredmin, Apologize for drifting away from the thread topic. 

Some states ask a little extra for services, too.  😬  Been looking at TN, TX, or FL for relocation for a while. Found an area in TN to look at first, next FL, then TX. 

• Like 1

LE2

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Absolutely true. Having moved around and living in different states more than several times in my former career nothing is free. You certainly end up paying somewhere along the line. Sadly with some businesses shuttering do to the pandemic a gap in tax revenue for towns, cities and eventually states is more than likely. It will be interesting to see how this all works out. 

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 3

IMG_2879.jpeg

Having lived in ON, IL, PA, IA, FL and now NC. I have experienced huge differences on tax pressure among them. The services provided argument, is relative, as I usually are not on the receiving end... it just boils down to how wasteful you local politicians are with your money....so far IL the worse.

Edited by fredmin
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, fredmin said:

I live now In Mecklenburg county in NC, I could not find the personal property tax rate in their website....probably not a good sign.

We live next door in Lincoln County.

Found this on Mecklenburg County:

https://www.mecknc.gov/TaxCollections/SiteAssets/Pages/Mecklenburg-County-Tax-Rates/2020-2021 Tax Brochure.pdf

LE2

• 2 weeks later...

Regardless of the tax rate - the yearly fee to own personal property just seems over the top. I have come to accept sales taxes and yearly Real estate property tax - but the "rental" fee local governments levy is too much for me.  I am glad we have choices on where we call home.

• Like 2