Shower track question

Fargoman

According to the upgrades list, the shower track option does not include a shower curtain. For those of you who have this option, what style/size curtain works for you? Does a standard 'home' shower curtain fit the contours of the bath/toilet area? Thanks for any advice - these forum posts have been invaluable. I'm trying to have as few surprises as possible when we collect our Legacy Elite 2 in September 2021.

2021 Legacy Elite 2 Twin Bed | Hull Number 894 (9/16/21 delivery) | Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4 3.0L EcoDiesel 3.92 axleAZARCAIDMTNVNMORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Congratulations on your upcoming Oliver.  Good to see more Oliver's on the west coast.  We are not far away in Coos County, SW Oregon;  I have and aunt and several cousins in Redding.

We did not order the shower track, but do plan to use a shower curtain.  I had a vision and it works pretty well:

I purchased a dozen small suction cup hooks and spaced them evenly over the shower door and  along the front of the lower edge of the cabinet above the toilet.  I only takes a minute to hang a standard size shower curtain (ours is water repellent fabric - not vinyl).  The curtain covers the entrance, then wraps around in front of the toilet, all the way to the front wall. My idea is not so much to keep the toilet area dry, but to allow showering with the shower door open (for extra ventilation and to relieve me of a bit of claustrophobia).   I attached a suction cup to each bottom corner of the shower curtain to attach it to the shower wall so it stays inside the door.  I haven't tried it yet, but in theory it should work.

I did this same thing in our camper van (the shower was self-contained, fully enclosed and much smaller than the Oliver wet bath shower), except I used a short tension rod over the door.  Unfortunately the tension rod won't work in the Oliver because the walls aren't square.

With this in mind, I think a regular shower curtain should work with the shower track, though I'm not sure if you need the full, tub length curtain or a narrower door width one.  Perhaps someone with the track that did come with a curtain could give you dimensions; it is very easy to alter a store bought shower curtain.

I will say this: when I shower by holding the shower head, rather than attaching it to the wall bracket, the bathroom doesn't get very wet.  When I wash my hair under the shower attached to the wall, the toilet area does get rather wet.  But it's nothing to dry it.  We use a synthetic car washing "chamois" - sort of a sponge towel.  It works great, and you don't have to dry it after using; just wring it out and store in it's container as it is supposed to be kept damp.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Interesting. I opted for the track and it came with a curtain. Hull #709, late December delivery, considered a 2021 model. It seems like a custom curtain cut to fit the curve etc. I am happy enough with it. It covers both the door and the toilet area and you can  bunch it up and strap it to the wall between the door and the towel rod. 

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

• Moderators

One with the curtain and one without - sounds to me like this is a question for an Oliver Sales Rep.

Personally, I'm in the "Huff" camp - I don't have a curtain because what little that gets wet is simply too easy to clean and dry versus dealing with a curtain that is there all the time.  Space is really precious in the bathroom.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks for the feedback. I will ask Phil Andrews about the shower curtain - when I posted the question last night I had a feeling that at some point in time I heard or read that the track came equipped with a curtain. I'm not trusting my memory as much as I used to.

• Like 1

2021 Legacy Elite 2 Twin Bed | Hull Number 894 (9/16/21 delivery) | Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4 3.0L EcoDiesel 3.92 axleAZARCAIDMTNVNMORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

9 hours ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

the toilet area does get rather wet.  But it's nothing to dry it.  We use a synthetic car washing "chamois" - sort of a sponge towel.  It works great, and you don't have to dry it after using; just wring it out and store in it's container as it is supposed to be kept damp.

🙄  I am not happy about your method, not unless your goal is to cultivate a lot of bacteria. Even when used on a car, it should be washed afterwards. Since it will inevitably pick up some grit that will damage the finish, I gave up on this way of drying cars twenty years ago. I was seeing too many fine scratches. In the shower I use an old cotton hand towel after first using a  Water Blade   (which stores overhead). The towel hangs to dry and gets washed at the next opportunity. For my cars I do the same but I use 100% cotton bar towels, one time, then into a bucket, then when the bucket it is full, into the wash. Your gel coat is quite soft and easy to scratch, so you need to be aware of any material that could mar it. These ... Zeppoli Auto Shop & Car Wash Towels - 36 Pack - 100% Pure White Cotton ... work great, but they take a few washes before they become super absorbent. They are also great for general Ollie cleaning.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, topgun2 said:

I don't have a curtain because what little that gets wet is simply too easy to clean and dry versus dealing with a curtain that is there all the time.  Space is really precious in the bathroom.

Us too.  Simple is good.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

JD certainly has a point about first using a squeegee of some sort and finish drying with something else.  

While not practical in the bath of the Oliver, I'm now using a blower (electric) for the major drying of my vehicles to include the Oliver.  Its quicker, doesn't leave water spots, and  doesn't scratch (unless your careless and hit the vehicle with the blower).  If I have the time I then go back over the vehicle with a good "detailer" with clean microfiber cloth and it looks showroom new.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I may  eventually just remove the curtain if cleaning *it* when it inevitably gets a kinda dirty seems like a bigger deal than dealing with keeping the toilet area dry and  clean of soap  scum. But in a time/money tradeoff world I  decided to let the factory provide me with the chance to try a pretty decent curtain design out. So far that little bit of vertical  space  it  takes  up along the wall has  not  seemed like a noticeable cost  to  me, just  fwiw. There's  no  right  or wrong here - just  sharing my own  assessment for me/us.

And yeah, I've  also put a squeegee in  the bathroom. It's what  we use at home after showers as  well to do the bulk of the cleaning. Using liquid soap versus bars also  helps a LOT with  preventing soap scum buildup  btw. A tip I learned from a tile guy.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I'll second that suggestion by Jim on the liquid soap.  Besides the buildup he mentions, liquid soap also helps conserve water - particularly in hard water areas of the country.

Bill

8 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

While not practical in the bath of the Oliver, I'm now using a blower (electric) for the major drying of my vehicles to include the Oliver.  Its quicker, doesn't leave water spots, and  doesn't scratch (unless your careless and hit the vehicle with the blower).  If I have the time I then go back over the vehicle with a good "detailer" with clean microfiber cloth and it looks showroom new.

This made me smile.... I pre-dry “Mouse” by firing up my gas blower, followed by a wipe down with cotton towels. The first time I did it the new neighbor kid was totally freaked out when he saw me clinging to the step ladder with one hand and blasting the water off the roof and solar panels with the other. It does work pretty well! I also bring it along on trips where dusty roads might be encountered, to blast the dust off the trailer sides and back, and the truck. It looks better then, and if it should rain, it won’t look so diseased with spots. The blower is also great for clearing needles and leaves from the ground at the site, way better than a broom or rake.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Fargoman said:

Thanks for the feedback. I will ask Phil Andrews about the shower curtain - when I posted the question last night I had a feeling that at some point in time I heard or read that the track came equipped with a curtain. I'm not trusting my memory as much as I used to.

If it doesn't,  I  have found it pretty easy to change out the curtain in the rvs we delivered to Alaska. (I hate the new plastic smell.) Same number if grommets. I  just buy a peva or fabric curtain at tjmaxx, cut it with my shears to length. I fold the stinky supplied one, put it in a bag, and store it in a cabinet.

The camping world curtains are expensive,  imo.

Let us know, for other future owners. (We're in the no curtain camp.)

Edited by SeaDawg
Typos

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I will be getting an Elite I in 6 weeks. I also am getting the shower curtain option, but assumed that a curtain came with it. I was going to use that curtain as a template for a new curtain, if I didn't like it. I probably should have looked at this forum in more depth before I made the purchase. Many items that I was told by sales as being a necessity, or the best function on the market I am finding out may not be. I would appreciate you letting me know what you find out about delivery with or without a shower curtain. 

I got my vin today, and the registration process is going forward.

John

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

I had this question myself. Before we signed the final contract, that was one of the things we asked Anita, our rep. The shower track INCLUDES a custom shower curtain. 

• Like 1

2021 Legacy Elite II  Twin Beds   "R-Villa" ~ Hull #803 

2021 GMC Denali HD, 6.6 L Duramax Turbo-Diesel, 10-speed Allison

ALARILINIAKYMNMSMOMTOHSDTNWIWYsm.jpg