Tire Pressures and Delivery Issues (split from Hull 735 Launched)

Moonlight Mile

• Moderators

Gary,

Certainly I appreciate your concern about appearances, but, I wouldn't worry about it.  During your orientation you will get to know at least a couple of these guys and they are all just regular folks like the rest of us.  Heck, I'd be a bit surprised if they didn't offer to help.

Bill 

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

16 hours ago, John E Davies said:

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2363-how-to-tire-pressure-placard/

That chart is for the Michelin LTX Load E (10 ply sidewall) tires originally used on older trailers but it should be fine for current ones, since I was told that the size and load rating did not change. Always check your sidewall to be certain! The numbers were taken directly from manufacturer data.

Yes, when I looked up the equivalent chart for the Cooper Discoverers I got on  my new Oliver (hull #709, delivered late December) the numbers were identical to these for  the  Michelin (which is a very similar tire as far as I can tell as anything but a tire expert).

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

When I picked up our new trailer we had to go back to Oliver the next day for refrigerator service.  There were hours of idle time just waiting around for service.  While chatting with the employee who did the walk through the previous day, I was asked if I’d lowered the tire pressure yet.  I told him I had.  He nodded, smiled, and said “Good”.  

Don’t worry about lowering your tire pressure at pickup.  I believe it’s expected that the new owner will do this as their very first trailer personalization.  

• Like 3

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

Tire pressure, and other stuff- I think that Oliver delivers the trailer at 80 psi because that is industry recommendation, assuming that the trailer might have a maximum load, which might need the maximum psi. It is up to us to make an educated decision as to how to operate our equipment, and to listen to industry and user experts. How many of us follow the manufacturer's recomendations on anything without evaluating the purpose if the manual makes confusing or misleading statements?

Other delivery issues do not have such a justification. While my main job was being a firefighter, I have always had a second job/business/career. Customer service, with the fire department and for my self-employed businesses was critical for repeat business and customer satisfaction. I had a two-way radio business. I tested every radio prior to delivery. I stayed up all night, literally, for a delivery of more than 300 radios I had to make. I could not claim that it was the radio manufacturer that was the cause of a problem. It was my reputation and responsiblity for the radio to work. When I took in a radio for repair, I would replace small broken items, do a thorough cleaning, and even repaint dial markings as part of my regular service. I retired from the fire department 6 years ago, but have continued to work doing fire origin and cause investigations and other failure analyses. I perform the duties of a forensic engineer. My written reports are what the client, and subsequent lawyers and others, use to evaulate me and the quality of my work. I cannot have misspellings, typos, grammatical errors, formating errors, poor photographs, etc. I pay people to review my work, to make sure that everything is right, then I review it again. And this is not safety stuff. 

So not only do I have issues from a legal viewpoint, as a person who conducts failure analyses, but to allow a trailer to leave the dealership with potential life safety issues is poor customer service and potential legal trouble. There is no excuse for allowing a trailer to have no brakes for 200 miles assuming that the brakes will self adjust, and nothing will happen within the first 200 miles when driven by a person who possibly has towed nothing in their life. Or brake wires that are not connected. Or a door that comes open while driving. Or a door that cannot be opened, with people inside or outside. Or a power cord plug that falls out, or worse, only comes out of the receptacle part way, creating a high resistive connection that results in a fire. Or glue on gel coat that is nearly impossible to remove. Or improperly finished gel coat. Or other issues. It's customer service. It's quality control. It's public relations. It is reputation.

Through my research, I have bought a decent trailer. It has a layout that I like. Through the forum and other sites, I have learned about potential issues at delivery, and other problems that may occur during the first few months of ownership. Design and construction seem to be quality. However, if it were my company, which it isn't, I would take a few hours prior to delivery to operate all appliances and equipment, tow it for at least four or five miles to make sure that the brakes work, and other aspects of the axle work. I also have a very small ham radio business. Industry standard, for the highest quality electronic equipment, is to operate, or at least power up, each piece of equipment prior to delivery. I'm still looking forward to delivery on St. Patrick's Day. I plan to stay two nights at Crockett for an extended shake down. I don't expect to have any problems, but I need to verify that everything works.

And it was a good day for old guys.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 9:59 PM, John E Davies said:

We forum members are also horrified, why does the Service Dept not adjust them correctly right before delivery??? This has been a well kmown issue for many many years. Have you bought a TPMS kit for the trailer yet? It should be at the top of your Honey Do list. Get one that also shows the tire temperature. A properly inflated tire flexes a little (it is not rock hard), cushioning the frame and hull over rough surfaces and bumps. It will heat up a little as you cruise the freeway, as will the pressure increase slightly. It is neat to be able to check each one to see what is going on, plus the spare tire, which obviously won’t react like the ones doing all the work.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I have a TPMS that came with new truck (zero issues)  I have not had time to have it installed. I will do this when I can. 

Edited by Moonlight Mile

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

48 minutes ago, SherMica said:

For now I am not going to debate anyone here or be moderated or whatever.

I might have missed a comment or two but it looks like everyone here was trying to help. Who was censoring you?

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

Yeah, there’s been no moderation or censorship that I’m aware of.  After all, I think I was the one who first brought up the tire pressure issue back when so it isn’t like we’re at odds over the matter.

SherMica, you’ve had nothing but kindness and help from the moderating staff so please don’t accuse us of things we haven’t done.  I mean, moderators have supported you on the forum, contacted Oliver to try to finally get this issue settled, given you personal contact info to try to help, and one actually drove to a campsite to help you.

Apparently that’s not enough.  

Edited by Overland
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Jairon said:

I might have missed a comment or two but it looks like everyone here was trying to help. Who was censoring you?

My comment was split or something into a new topic; that is all I was referring to. 

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

On 3/2/2021 at 8:32 PM, Overland said:

Yeah, there’s been no moderation or censorship that I’m aware of.  After all, I think I was the one who first brought up the tire pressure issue back when so it isn’t like we’re at odds over the matter.

SherMica, you’ve had nothing but kindness and help from the moderating staff so please don’t accuse us of things we haven’t done.  I mean, moderators have supported you on the forum, contacted Oliver to try to finally get this issue settled, given you personal contact info to try to help, and one actually drove to a campsite to help you.

Apparently that’s not enough.  

I am not “accusing” anyone. Thank you all for attempts to help. Apologies for any misunderstanding with that. Best to all. 

Edited by Moonlight Mile
  • Like 1

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• The topic was locked