Pathfinder towing a 23' Legacy Elite II ??

mannyqc

I was very surprised to see a picture of a Nissan Pathfinder towing (or just posing in front of...) a Legacy Elite II 23' on page 22 (Warranty page) of the 2016 Legacy Elite II PDF Catalog !

Pathfinder towing capacity is listed at 5000 lbs and tongue weight at 500 lbs. That seems a little too tight in my mind for towing the 4600 lbs dry weight Elite II. I would surely prefer towing with a midsize SUV like a Toyota Highlander or a Pathfinder, for exemple, than a full size truck, but i guess it is just not possible. Too close to the limit, it would be unsafe.

What do you think ? Thank you

Manny, We were in the same situation, our old pickup (97 F150) was too old and maybe not dependable, and we wanted a midsize SUV. I had a big spreadsheet with all possibilities, and it came down to a Dodge Durango R/T with the 5.7 Hemi. So far it's been a great TV, handles the Elite II with ease. We have about 13,000 towing miles so far and get about 12 mpg, which could be better, but it is what it is. We put the seats down and a piece of fiberboard with carpet over the top, and thats where the dog rides.

It suits us.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

I agree, those two vehicles are just pushing the safety envelop too much for me. I'm sure they would be fine with the smaller Elite but not the Elite II. Its also worth pointing out that you will never reach a 4600 lb dry weight, once we added in the options (fiber granite, solar, 4 batteries etc) ours came out to just a tad below 5100 lbs. Add water, two tanks of propane and all the goods to go on a camping trip and you're easily past 6000 lbs and closer to 500 lbs tongue weight.

We use an F150 with the Eco Boost engine, Super Crew Cab and long bed with a 157" wheel base and love it, works great. I wouldn't want to be without a truck myself and don't find them to be that much more difficult to maneuver than the mid size SUV's. Perhaps a little but to us the advantages far out weigh the disadvantages. All of the big 3 trucks are not like the ones of yesteryear either, they all drive like sports sedans in a bigger box, very smooth, quiet, agile ride with great handling given what they are.

That said I've also seen Stans Durango its a really nice rig, and if not using a full size truck this would also be on the top of my list for a tow vehicle, maybe the Ford "Exploder" as a distant second.

Hope this helps.

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators

I suspect the Nissan is simply artistic license on the photographer's part...

Does look nice, though, huh?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

What Buzzy said… ditto. To that I would like to add a couple of other considerations.

The full size trucks/suvs have another attribute I'm not sure the smaller suvs have, that being electronic anti-sway capabilities and it works which I can attest too having towed our Oliver in some West Texas winds that had to be in excess of 60-70 mph. Not that the Oliver doesn't track well, it certainly does but given that wind storm we were amazed at how well the both of them stayed composed on the highway.

Add to that the longer wheel base which provides yet more stability with a rather heavy 6000 lb load behind you for added safety.

Legacy Elite II #70

• 1 month later...

:) Really like this conversation, thanks to both of you. Any thoughts on the Nissan Titan XD? 5.0 Cummins TD and heavy frame? ..thanks. Vector

Hi Manny,

Sounds like you may be considering the purchase of a new or new-to-you tow vehicle? You expressed a preference for a mid-size SUV versus a pickup truck. Like yourself, I had a strong preference for an SUV but ended up purchasing a pickup truck to tow my future Elite II. I began in the customary manner with an understanding of the tow capacity as well as the pay load limits for the tow vehicles I preferred. I suspect my Ollie fully loaded will weigh around 6,000 pounds with a tongue weight of maybe 525 pounds. Since I hope to add into the tow vehicle people, sloppy dog, kayaks, outdoor gear, etc., I wanted a pay load capacity of at least 1200 pounds. The sloppy dog is not too heavy, but the sloppy people is where I pick up the added weight.

Although there are many great tow vehicles on the market, you might seek a few added features which could make your life easier. The features I thought would be helpful for me are:

1. Tow Mirrors.

2. Integrated Trailer Brake Controller.

3. Extended Range Fuel Tank.

4. Navigation.

5. Rear View Camera.

6. Pro Trailer Backup Assist.

7. Hill Descent Control.

8. Hill Start Assist

9. Smart Trailer Tow Connector.

Clearly, most of the features listed above are not required, but they can be helpful in functioning as a second set of eyes if you plan to travel solo. Just remember, as you add in options it can take away from the overall payload capacity for the tow vehicle.

Three weeks ago, my tow vehicle (Ford F150) arrived and I was apprehensive about driving a full size pickup truck. My prior driving experience had been limited to compact cars and mid-size SUVs. I thought it might not be as maneuverable as I preferred and perhaps the ride would be too harsh. So far, I love the truck. All concerns have faded away. It is quiet, wicked fast (3.5L EB), great ride quality, very maneuverable, can tow over 11,000 pounds and has a payload capacity of 1777 pounds. I know it is overkill for towing an Elite II, but I should have no problems going up and over the White Mountains here in New Hampshire or the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. I guess as long as it gets me out and about in a safe manner, it is a good tow vehicle for me.

Buzzy

2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II;  #129

Ordered in 2015, picked up in 2016.  My friend Don Thompson picked his up right in front of me, very cool dude.

2016 Nissan Titan XD, Diesel

Thanks Buzzy. Working on getting approval from my CFO (Chief Female-Financial Officer) :)

Strong on the XD right now, good to hear about the Cummins good rep. 5.0 TD, sounds about right for what I would like it for. I think i'll get 4 wheel drive, just for those slick spots, where it might be wet when you're turning around...i'll just retire later ;)

Know anything about the Aisin transmission?

thanks.

Ordered in 2015, picked up in 2016.  My friend Don Thompson picked his up right in front of me, very cool dude.

Thanks Buzzy. Working on getting approval from my CFO (Chief Female-Financial Officer) :)

Strong on the XD right now, good to hear about the Cummins good rep. 5.0 TD, sounds about right for what I would like it for. I think i'll get 4 wheel drive, just for those slick spots, where it might be wet when you're turning around...i'll just retire later ;)

Know anything about the Aisin transmission?

thanks.

Appreciate the insight Buzzy. I like that truck that you bought, nice choice. That's on my short list..we'll see what the pricing works out to.

thanks. Vector.