Furnace Report and Bathroom Heat

Note: I seem to recall discussion regarding heating the bathroom . . . .  but can't find it with "Search" function.   

We just returned from our first real outing in our 2021 Elite II, spending three nights at a nearby park we frequently visit.  When shore power is available, unless it is extremely cold, we use a small space heater to keep the cabin warm.  However . . . . . our inexpensive little heater has decided to quit working.  So, we resorted to using the furnace.  Here are some first impressions:

The furnace is amazing . . . . it's the same we had in our Leisure Travel Van, but so much quieter.  Most likely because of where it is located (not right under the dinette seat, as in the LTV).

There seemed to be plenty of heat/airflow coming from the vent under the bed; not so much in the galley.  Then we noticed some fins behind the louvered vent (sort of like a camera shutter).  They were pretty much closed on the kitchen vent.  Are they supposed to automatically open as air flows through the vent?  We had to manually open them; this resulted in good heat/air in the galley.

The furnace did a great job of keeping the bathroom warm; not toasty warm (hey, we're camping!),  but it did make a big difference.

We kept the thermostat off while we were away from camp, to conserve LP.  The cabin takes very little time to warm up once the furnace is turned back on.  

Unless it is extremely cold, we will not use the furnace at night.  For one, the noise wakes me up.  Two, we have down sleeping bags.  

We have not yet programmed the thermostat for blue-tooth operation, but it would be nice to turn on the heat before getting out of a warm sleeping bag.

• Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

52 minutes ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

Unless it is extremely cold, we will not use the furnace at night.  For one, the noise wakes me up.  Two, we have down sleeping bags.  

We have not yet programmed the thermostat for blue-tooth operation, but it would be nice to turn on the heat before getting out of a warm sleeping bag.

Hmmm, it seems to me that somewhere in the Owners Manual it says that the husband was supposed to get up and crank up the thermostat 30 minutes before wakeup time..... at least, my wife has told me that several times. I am the one who reaches up to turn on the water heater switch, but I can reach that without getting up. Our thermostat is the old fashioned kind, where the husband IS the remote.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

. Our thermostat is the old fashioned kind, where the husband IS the remote.

He/she who sleeps closest to the controls.... is elected  😆

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The trick to heating the bath is to make sure that the main duct is open - it’s the tall rectangular flap with a mirror on one side.

We also only use the heat when it’s super cold, and even then we set it to 50 or something.  And I just recently swapped out the thermostat for the Bluetooth one and being able to turn on the heat in the AM from the comfort of your sleeping bag is definitely better. It’s easy and only takes a minute to link your phone. 

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Hmmm, it seems to me that somewhere in the Owners Manual it says that the husband was supposed to get up and crank up the thermostat 30 minutes before wakeup time..... at least, my wife has told me that several times. I am the one who reaches up to turn on the water heater switch, but I can reach that without getting up. Our thermostat is the old fashioned kind, where the husband IS the remote.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Husband also starts the coffee (that I prepare at bedtime)!

Ray and Susan Huff

Speaking of bluetooth thermostats, MicroAir has one now that works with our Dometic ACs.  It costs a good bit more than the Dometic version, but it's programmable, works via either bluetooth or wifi, works remotely, has a nice touch screen, etc.  Pretty nice.

https://www.microair.net/products/easytouch-rv-thermostat?variant=32199143555156

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 2

On 2/8/2021 at 8:50 PM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

Note: I seem to recall discussion regarding heating the bathroom . . . .  but can't find it with "Search" function.   

We just returned from our first real outing in our 2021 Elite II, spending three nights at a nearby park we frequently visit.  When shore power is available, unless it is extremely cold, we use a small space heater to keep the cabin warm.  However . . . . . our inexpensive little heater has decided to quit working.  So, we resorted to using the furnace.  Here are some first impressions:

The furnace is amazing . . . . it's the same we had in our Leisure Travel Van, but so much quieter.  Most likely because of where it is located (not right under the dinette seat, as in the LTV).

There seemed to be plenty of heat/airflow coming from the vent under the bed; not so much in the galley.  Then we noticed some fins behind the louvered vent (sort of like a camera shutter).  They were pretty much closed on the kitchen vent.  Are they supposed to automatically open as air flows through the vent?  We had to manually open them; this resulted in good heat/air in the galley.

The furnace did a great job of keeping the bathroom warm; not toasty warm (hey, we're camping!),  but it did make a big difference.

We kept the thermostat off while we were away from camp, to conserve LP.  The cabin takes very little time to warm up once the furnace is turned back on.  

The vent under the galley is supposed to allow for manual adjustment.  One of the fins on ours was out of true so Jason from the shop told us how to realign.  Basically, you stick a finger through the outer grate and pull as it is meant to just pop off.  The vents were easy to pop back in their tracks after.  We have closed ours entirely and turned to rear vent to blow air towards the galley.  Plenty warm to fill the cabin.  This allows more heat to make it to the bathroom

• Thanks 1

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

3 hours ago, GAP said:

The vent under the galley is supposed to allow for manual adjustment.  One of the fins on ours was out of true so Jason from the shop told us how to realign.  Basically, you stick a finger through the outer grate and pull as it is meant to just pop off.  The vents were easy to pop back in their tracks after.  We have closed ours entirely and turned to rear vent to blow air towards the galley.  Plenty warm to fill the cabin.  This allows more heat to make it to the bathroom

That would explain why our bathroom was getting good heat.  I didn't think to evaluate it after we opened up the galley vent.

Ray and Susan Huff

On 2/10/2021 at 9:12 AM, Overland said:

Speaking of bluetooth thermostats, MicroAir has one now that works with our Dometic ACs.  It costs a good bit more than the Dometic version, but it's programmable, works via either bluetooth or wifi, works remotely, has a nice touch screen, etc.  Pretty nice.

https://www.microair.net/products/easytouch-rv-thermostat?variant=32199143555156

2021 Legacy Elite II  Twin Beds   "R-Villa" ~ Hull #803 

2021 GMC Denali HD, 6.6 L Duramax Turbo-Diesel, 10-speed Allison

ALARILINIAKYMNMSMOMTOHSDTNWIWYsm.jpg