Dexter Axle Bearings

dewdev

• Moderators

I guess there are pro’s and con’s for the never-lubes.  Seems like a good thing, not to have to worry about repacking all the time.  I have my bearings repacked and brakes checked every spring before the rally.  7 years and still original bearings.  We do 10-15,000 miles a year.  Mike

• Like 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 1 month later...

Well, I took on the challenge of replacing the bearings and races in my 2021 Elite I. It was actually not bad at all. Took a couple of hours on the first wheel because I was careful to check and double check each step to make sure things were correct. . Second went much faster. The original set of bearings appeared fine and had “China” imprinted on them but don’t know enough to comment on their quality. I used Timken products all the way around along with Redline CV-2 grease. Repacks will apparently be even quicker since the races aren’t removed and replaced. Anyway, definitely a DIY project if you’re physically able. 

• Like 6

2021 Legacy Elite I , Hull #765

2021 Chevrolet Silverado 3.0 Diesel 

Navarre, Fl

• 3 weeks later...

2021 LE 2

Timken counterfeits or WBA app wonky...

Last year, I bought Timken bearings from Rockauto to replace all the original wheel bearings. I used the WBA app to authenticate them. Oliver service performed the work. Oliver saved the original China bearings for me to keep as "road spares".

In preparation for repacking this year, I purchase six seals and two sets of Timken bearings to have on hand, if needed. These bearings were also purchased from Rockauto. I checked them with the WBA app....which indicated that both of the set4 and set17 bearings were counterfeit !!

After sleeping on it, I started trying to find out more info on the WBA app....revisions...updates...reliability reviews. Most of what I found was marketing speak.

I decided to delete the WBA app from my iphone (originally downloaded in 2022) and download again. This time the app approved as genuine both of the set17 and one of the set4.

Once again I deleted and downloaded the WBA app. I rechecked all the sets with the same result...one set4 counterfeit.

Next, (without another delete/download) I very gradually moved the iphone camera over the counterfeit set4 CR code without the bar code in the image.....and before my very eyes the counterfeit set4 transformed into genuine Timkens.

I share this with the group for anyone who uses the WBA app for authentication.

So, do I have genuine or counterfeit? False positive?...false negative?...scam WBA app?

I've bought OEM parts from Rockauto for years without incident.

I guess the bottom line is to do the yearly bearing maintenance and carefully inspect them. I'll look forward to how last years installed "genuine" Timkens look this year.

Steve

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

How are folks doing with the Never-lube bearings on the new trailers? Curious if it's worth having a set of backups in hand with these kind of bearings on our Oliver. 

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

4 hours ago, Ollie-Haus said:

How are folks doing with the Never-lube bearings on the new trailers?

No issues the first 2K miles on Hull #1291.  But, bearing issues usually do not appear for at least 10-12K miles.  That said, I ordered a Nev-R-Lube bearing cartridge to have on hand as a backup, just in case.   In the event of failure, it will save at least a week of down time waiting for shipment of the replacement cartridge.

• Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 3:36 PM, topgun2 said:

Flat tire - I carry a "plug" kit that I can get in WalMart.  I've always carried one of these kits - with or without the Ollie in tow.

Wheel bearing issue - I carry a set of bearings like this:

P1010210.JPG

While I could change out the bearings with this set, that is NOT my intent.  It is fairly easy to get the drum off the axle and carry that to virtually any gas station or tire shop that has a mechanic.  The issue is not doing the job on the side of the road where it could be fairly dangerous, but, getting to a safe place and NOT having to wait for them to order the bearings.

Yes, these bearings are fairly standard, but, I don't want to hear, "I'm sorry, we just sold our last set this morning".  I've been carrying two of these sets around for the past seven years - just in case.  And, before you ask - yes, they are made in China.  However, I figure that they will last long enough to get me home where I can do a proper job with good bearings and good grease.

Bill

Bill,

on AMAZ is this your "on the fly" kit

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Bearing-Spindle-Redline-BK2-100/dp/B002PNJZN8/ref=sr_1_17?crid=17SIRFR32CI5R&keywords=trailer+parts+pro+redline+BK2-100&qid=1681157189&sprefix=trailer+parts+pro+redline+bk2-100%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-17

• Like 1

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, SNY SD UP said:

on AMAZ is this your "on the fly" kit

Certainly that looks the same and the part number is the same.

I've had tow sets of these in my Oliver since day one - over 7 years ago - and thankfully have never needed either set.  They look exactly the same today as they did then.  Good insurance.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderator+

Just so everybody is on the same page, the bearing Kit shown above is for the 3500 pound axles used on the Elite II's through 2021. In 2022 Oliver started installing a 5200 pound axle on the Elite II models. This axle is the same size that has always been supplied on the Elite's except it is de-rated to a 3500 pound weight capacity due to using a 4 leaf spring pack (3500 lbs) instead of the normal 5 leaf spring pack (5200 lbs.) These new axles are now standard with Dexter's Nev-R-Lube Bearings.

If you have a 2021 or earlier Elite II with the standard bearings they cannot be replaced by the Nev-R-Lube style. There were changes made to both the hub size and the spindle size. The complete axle would have to be replaced.

If you have a 2021 or earlier Elite I it will require the standard bearings for a 5200 pound axle.

If you have a 2021 or earlier Elite II it will require the standard bearings for a 3500 pound axle.

Advantages with Dexter's Nev-R-Lube Bearings:

* No need to pull the hubs to repack the bearings or replace the grease seals when checking the brakes.
* No more inner and outer bearings. Just one sealed bearing cartridge.
* Pre-set adjustment means installation is easy and human error is virtually eliminated in bearing adjustment.
* Pre-lubricated at the bearing factory providing resistance to contamination.
* Sealed for life which means increased durability and reliability and no more bearing maintenance.
* 5 year or 100,000 mile warranty against defects in material and workmanship.

I do want to emphasize if you do have a trailer that has the Nev-R- Lube bearings installed there are periodic checks that need to be performed to make sure they are in good working order.

Nev-R-Lube Bearing maintenance needing performed every 12 months or 12,000 miles.
1. Elevate and support the trailer unit per manufactures instructions. Never jack the trailer up on any part of the axle. Always jack the trailer up on the main frame rails of the trailer.
2. Check for excessive wheel end clearance by pulling the tire assembly towards you and by pushing the assembly away from you. Slight end play is acceptable.
3. Rotate tire slowly forwards and backwards. The wheel should turn freely and smoothly.
4. Excessive wheel end play, restriction to rotation, noise, or bumpy rotation should be remedied by replacing the bearing unit.
Note: A slight amount of grease weeping from the seal is normal. Excessive leakage may indicate abnormal bearing operation.

The important thing to remember is that even though this bearing is sealed and does not need lubricated it still needs to have a yearly inspection for the end play. Having this checked will hopefully keep you from having wheel bearing issues on that next adventure you are planning.

If there's a downside, it would be that if/when you need to replace them it will cost a lot more than the old style bearings and seals. A sealed Nev-R- Lube bearing Kit -42MM CARTRIGE & ATTACHING COMP, FITS 5,200 LB & 6,000 LB AXLES - Part #K71-997-00 will cost over $300 per wheel. I would be remiss to only replace one at a time.

• Thanks 5
  • Like 8

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

17 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

If there's a downside, it would be that if/when you need to replace them it will cost a lot more than the old style bearings and seals. A sealed Nev-R- Lube bearing Kit -42MM CARTRIGE & ATTACHING COMP, FITS 5,200 LB & 6,000 LB AXLES - Part #K71-997-00 will cost over $300 per wheel. I would be remiss to only replace one at a time.

A friend of mine just replaced bearings on a Nev-R-Lube axle with genuine Timken bearings bought from Summit for $50 each. Same part number on the bearing as OEM. Worth researching if needing replacements or backups.

• Like 1

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

• 1 month later...

I have a few questions re wheel bearings on our Elite 2:

If the bearings are appropriately maintained, how long can they be expected to last? 

if the bearings are in for service anyway, is it worthwhile to replace the original bearings with Timken?

The bearings on our trailer now are original to the trailer and are whatever brand Oliver uses. They have held up fine so far, and mechanics who have looked at them have indicated that they are decent quality. 

Thanks in advance. 
David

Kim and David Thompson Nomads' Nest 2018 LE2 #366 2018 Toyota Tundra, 4x4, 5.7L

• Moderator+
2 hours ago, thompsonkd said:

I have a few questions re wheel bearings on our Elite 2:

If the bearings are appropriately maintained, how long can they be expected to last? 

if the bearings are in for service anyway, is it worthwhile to replace the original bearings with Timken?

The bearings on our trailer now are original to the trailer and are whatever brand Oliver uses. They have held up fine so far, and mechanics who have looked at them have indicated that they are decent quality. 

Thanks in advance. 
David

With appropriate maintenance, I would expect the bearings to last decades. Your original bearings are of what came in the axles supplied by Dexter to Oliver. To the best of my knowledge, Oliver doesn’t actually have a dog in that race.

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I agree with ScubaRx, quality bearings can last indefinitely. What kills bearings quickly is water contamination, cheap seals leak, then corrosion causes pitting and grease breakdown. Even if you don’t want to upgrade the bearings, I strongly recommend the Timken seals they are FAR superior to the  $2.00 cheap ones. Change the seals for new Timkens at every service.

One thing I like about eliminating the chrome hubcaps is that you can install marine style caps with rubber inspection plugs, you can pop off the plugs and easily see if the grease is still in good condition. This lets you extend your service intervals. You must seal the perimeter where they go into the hub with silicone sealer, or they will seep grease and sling it out onto your pretty wheels.

IMG_2028.thumb.jpeg.885560226373948ba5d1dcd83d0c5de9.jpeg

IMG_2029.thumb.jpeg.73fb2fe396c6ff8e4402e7740074aff6.jpeg

I also strongly recommend Redline CV2 full synthetic grease over any other brand. Another tip that may not be practical, depending on your climate, never tow on rain soaked highways…. that spray acts like a high pressure hose, driving water and grit past the seals. That problem is easy to avoid:

IMG_3501.thumb.jpeg.570a58c474b37ee9099f401fa60fa4d8.jpeg

IMG_3502.thumb.jpeg.e29179fba8f4594ffd73a31dfbab2f37.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 10/7/2021 at 6:55 AM, Mike and Carol said:

Certainly the sets I bought are "Made in China" but to get me back on the road until I get home - I don't care.

We carry the same - pre-grease packed in ziplock bags, ready to install on the side of the road....

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

On 4/17/2022 at 2:27 AM, Frank C said:

Here’s the tools/etc. that I used for my recent replacement of the bearings on all 4 wheels:

I would add a full roll of paper towels, a 5 gallon "Home Depot" bucket (or simular), and a boat throw cushion. 

The last two items are optional, but trust me if you are my vintage and choose to skimp on them ..... you will regret having done so.     

🙂

GJ

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

9 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

I would add a full roll of paper towels, a 5 gallon "Home Depot" bucket (or simular), and a boat throw cushion. 

The last two items are optional, but trust me if you are my vintage and choose to skimp on them ..... you will regret having done so.     

🙂

GJ

I do carry a large Husky kneeling pad to make things more comfortable when working at ground level.  I don’t have much trouble kneeling down to work on the wheel bearings, it’s getting back up that’s the issue 😂.   I’m “vintage” as well.

IMG_2470.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2
  • Care 1

On 5/19/2023 at 8:23 AM, Frank C said:

I do carry a large Husky kneeling pad to make things more comfortable when working at ground level.  I don’t have much trouble kneeling down to work on the wheel bearings, it’s getting back up that’s the issue 😂.   I’m “vintage” as well.

IMG_2470.jpeg

I love that pad.  My truck has a similar one I always carry as well.

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

Because of this thread I had repacked my bearings over a year ago, wow, over 1.5 years.  Oy!  Time flies.  

Anywho, when putting on my tire I had got checked out at the tire shop I noticed not one, but two wheel bearings needed to be snugged up a tad bit.  It was a good find and a quick tweak. 

All-in-all, a good night for minor repairs and improvements.  Maybe a step closer to a super long trip.

I still prefer these forums over Facebook.  🙂 

• Like 3

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia