First time staying on non-rv property... what should I bring with our Elite II?

jordanv

After picking up our Oliver Elite II, my wife and I will be staying on an acquaintances property for two weeks. We were told we will be able to "hook up", which I assume is power and water.

Now seeing as this will be our first long stay somewhere, right after the Davey Crocket 1 night experience, I am at a loss trying to figure out what I should bring with us.

We got the composting toilet option, the solar option, twin beds, as well as the convection microwave oven.

The way I see it I can think of the following to bring:

- Water Hose

- Electrical adapter 15 -> 30amp

- Anderson leveling wheel chocks for 1 side

- 1 pair of wheel chocks for each side

Anything else I should think of?

Edited by jordanv

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

• The title was changed to First time staying on non-rv property... what should I bring with our Elite II?
  • Moderators

Is this a remote camping property? Or a driveway camping experience?

We've done both, and lots if other experiences. Just helps to figure things out. Like, trash, power outlet, etc .

Edited by SeaDawg
Typos
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Assuming that you know that Oliver provides the water hose and pressure regulator for hook up to your acquaintances property.  I have an extra water hose too that can be used if the bib is very far away.  You could also use their water to fill your water tank and be self sufficient.  You will want a water filter either way.  You can get a good Camco filter at Walmart.  I did buy and adapter to convert the external connector to be used with a heavy duty 12/3 extension cord.  Alternatively, there are adapters that work on the power cable that Oliver will supply too.

We have the Andersen levelers and also Balco X-Chocks.  I love both.  If you have a composting toilet, you will want either some dry peat moss or Coco Coir for the bottom of the toilet.  If you will only be using the toilet for peeing, you can skip the peat or Coco Coir.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

Floor mat or large rug for outside the door. Small electric box heater for backup or extra heat in the bathroom. Extra 50 or 100 foot heavy gauge 15 amp extension cord, 12 AWG or bigger. You can plug in and run all your normal stuff off a small cord, just keep an eye on the total load. If they happen to have a 30 amp outlet within reach, use your factory cord and you can run everything at once off shore power. Make popcorn😬

Maybe ask them to send you a picture of the site and ask if there is any solar exposure. In winter a sunny spot will be much more pleasant than a fully shaded north side of the house. 

Ask if there is a place for you to dump your grey tank, because unless you use their shower, your tank will be full in a few days. You should buy a 4” sewer to garden hose adapter, and bring along a 5/8” or bigger junky hose you can screw on there to reach a drain or other location. Make sure you mark the hose Waste Only with a Sharpie. 

This is a good one: Camco sewer to garden, avoid any brand that only has two “ears”, because one will surely break off. This one is very durable.

The absolute worst case for the grey water, drain it into a bucket and carry it inside to dump, 4 gallons at a time, into a toilet. You won’t want to do that again. A two foot piece of 3/4” hose with a female garden hose fitting is useful for this. Again mark the hose Waste Only. They may be OK with your letting the tank just trickle slowly onto the ground, since it is mostly soapy water, but always ask!

Finally, have fun, de-stress, and be prepared to show off your new toy.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

14 hours ago, John E Davies said:

You can plug in and run all your normal stuff off a small cord, just keep an eye on the total load.

If you don't mind, could you be more specific for me on this one?

Are you saying if I dont have a 12 AWG or larger, it would still be fine to use a regular extension cord, and still use all of the inside electric appliances?

How can I keep track of total load, and what should I be looking for there in terms of "too much" ?

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

You cannot run a whole bunch of loads off a 15 amp circuit. You should probably read up on this, it gets discussed at least every couple of months here. Download and understand an “RV electrical load chart”.

With a heavy gauge cord you can run more stuff at once without too much voltage drop and overheating of the cord and plugs. The light duty 14 AWG cords have no place in an RV. I use a 10AWG cord to run my air conditioner, it certainly can handle that kind of load which would fry a smaller one. 

A decent cord, and not too far to the outlet, lets you run at once all the normal inside stuff like lights, fridge, converter (charger), furnace. Maybe a box heater on Low (750 watts or less). Too many amps at one time will trip the house circuit breaker. So you learn to ration your usage, turn off certain circuit breakers like the hot water heater and microwave. Run the HWH off propane instead. Or run it on electricity when you are away and not using a lot of other stuff.

A 30 amp cord and 30 amp power source allows pretty much everything to run at once. Your onboard surge suppressor will show the amp load, I do not know where it is currently mounted. You can flip on things one at a time and see how the number changes. If it gets over about 13 amps on a 15 amp circuit, you need to back off on the usage.

I have both of these and they work fine. The bigger the cord wire diameter (a smaller number) and the longer it is, the more $$$.

USW 12/3 cord

Polar / Solar 10/3 Cord

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

19 hours ago, GraniteStaters said:

I did buy and adapter to convert the external connector to be used with a heavy duty 12/3 extension cord.  Alternatively, there are adapters that work on the power cable that Oliver will supply too.

What adapter are you referring to here? The 15amp => 30amp? Vice versa? If you dont mind, a product link would be helpful.

Thanks a bunch!

28 minutes ago, jordanv said:

What adapter are you referring to here? The 15amp => 30amp? Vice versa? If you dont mind, a product link would be helpful.

There are at least two schools of thought.

Use the factory supplied 30 amp cord, and add a 30 amp to 15 amp male adapter at the power source. This means no worries about a too small cord, but you are still limited to just 15 amps. The very expensive cord is much more likely to be stolen, it will get a lot more dirty and worn since you use it all the time, and it puts a whole lot of stress on the socket it is hanging off.If the outlet is worn, it may be hard to get a good connection.

I prefer to use a cheaper 15 amp cord which is smaller, lighter, less likely to vanish, and it is simple to plug in at the 15 amp source. At the trailer, use an adapter like this.

DC8CD6F0-2162-4B5E-B3AC-020CCD22F0DB.thumb.jpeg.56e98180888533ff6e050c1f2b70b314.jpeg

Marinco 30A female to 15 amp male pigtail

If you do need a 30 amp connection (running AC and other stuff in Summer), pull out the factory cord and use it without any adapters. You can buy a cheaper no name adapter, but it will likely be poor quality and not very durable. The Marinco one is perfect, a “yacht” part, and is of the highest quality. I had a no-name one which burned up, this one is about 30% heavier and much better built.

John Davies

Spokane WA.

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2021 at 4:23 PM, jordanv said:

After picking up our Oliver Elite II, my wife and I will be staying on an acquaintances property for two weeks. We were told we will be able to "hook up", which I assume is power and water.

Now seeing as this will be our first long stay somewhere, right after the Davey Crocket 1 night experience, I am at a loss trying to figure out what I should bring with us.

We got the composting toilet option, the solar option, twin beds, as well as the convection microwave oven.

The way I see it I can think of the following to bring:

- Water Hose

- Electrical adapter 15 -> 30amp

- Anderson leveling wheel chocks for 1 side

- 1 pair of wheel chocks for each side

Anything else I should think of?

As I don't know what Oliver provides any more - 

The basics - You will most likely be on a 15 amp circuit - perhaps 20 - that is shared with other needs of the dwelling - and I believe Oliver supplies the 30 am to less  - adapter. 

Water- they give you a hose - long enough? - site dependent. Any hose  will do in a pinch - but the non smelly ones are preferred.

Wheel chocks - I love my Andersons - work in most places - but again - site dependent. It is always nice to have a few extra wooden spacer blocks for the jacks.

Have fun - it will come to you - grasshopper!😃

RB

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201