Weather

topgun2

• Moderators

Last night I saw video footage of the 100 vehicle pileup near Fort Worth, TX that killed at least 5.  Scary stuff!  Hopefully none of our Oliver family was involved. 

With the large amount of cold and snow now gripping the USA, please be very careful out there.  In particular this applies those that are soon to be picking up their new Ollies.

Bill

Edited by topgun2
spelling
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Portland, OR/SW Washington experienced freezing rain yesterday and a bit of snow in the surrounding hills today.  Be aware if you plan to be traveling in the PNW.

Definitely not a good time to be picking up your Ollie.  Our delivery was originally scheduled for Feb 4, but was moved up to Dec 7.  In light of recent weather conditions, I am extremely grateful for this.  As it was we had no weather related problems going to Hohenwald (via I-80) or coming home with our Ollie (via I-40).  Though it was a bit cold, we only experienced one little snow flurry around Cheyenne, WY.  

Always be sure to check weather/road conditions before departure; stay safe on the road.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

We live 30 minutes south of FW where the accident happened. 133 vehicles involved and 6 dead.

We were scheduled to pick up our OLE2 on Monday, 2/15. However, our low temp here on Sunday is 3 and Monday is -2 which is unheard of in North Central TX. We are also expecting 3-7+ inches of snow between Sunday and Wednesday with the temps below freezing the entire time.

Tennessee is also expecting lots of ice and snow so we have delayed our travels by a week.

It's disappointing after waiting so long and having everything gathered and ready to go but better to be safe than sorry. Certainly not looking forward to pulling a trailer in ice/snow and possibly coming home to broken pipes at the pool equipment or house.

Forecast for the following week looks so much better!

Cindy

• Like 3

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

Cindy- 

I think that this is very wise of you. 

Certainly it will make for a much more enjoyable trip and delivery experience.  The current weather conditions are very unusual for most areas to include Hohenwald and as you point out a week from now will bring a change for the better.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Who da thunk it ?!?!  I am sorry to hear you all are having to delay - but, as Bill said, wise call!  I doubt the stress of driving in those conditions is not what you need for pick up.  Here's hoping the week flashes by quickly for you and next week's weather is great!

Jim

• Thanks 2

SE Texas  | 2021 Elite II  Twin Bed # 927  "Lucy"  |  2019 F250 FX4 6.7

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, TXLSUCajun said:

Who da thunk it ?!?!

I agree. 

Much safer to stay home, and postpone, no matter how disappointing. 

Black ice is the scariest. When I lived in (tropical) Southern Minnesota,  it was the worst part of winter. 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I agree, stay hunkered down! That Texas pileup was just awful to watch, because the speeds were so high. My son totaled my beloved 1996 Series 80 in similar conditions a few years ago on black ice. Here is the big 2008 Portland Oregon snowstorm, which dumped a good bit of it on top of glare ice. Even if you had snow tires (very few residents do) it might not have made any difference. Chains or studded tires would have been fine....

Ice carnage

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

From the reports I'm seeing this morning it appears as though things are getting worse with this set of storms.

Please everybody - be very careful out there.

Bill

• Thanks 1

This is an interesting shot from the NOAA “predictive” weather site. I really like the old school graphics showing the fronts. I don’t recall ever seeing this much chaos spread all over the USA at one time, keeping in mind that the one solitary “H” represents the middle of the Polar Vortex. I think Sunday would be a good time to just hunker down and binge watch cable TV, if you still have power.

E04BE111-DC1B-44A6-9923-9DC0B815577E.thumb.jpeg.790775843b4303aa1cc6a772eabd92a7.jpeg

NOAA Weather Prediction Center

And here is a screen cap from my Windy app, showing temperature.

7700140F-80A0-4D6F-B344-4DF1752FCC9B.thumb.jpeg.ff80f5dad8e0937e31e844b7cc84c3a8.jpeg

https://www.johnnyjet.com/windy-best-free-weather-app/

So far in NE Washington we have missed all but some single digit night time temperatures, no snow, ice, or wind storms. No snapped trees or multi-car crashes. Stay warm and safe.

John Davies 
Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Care 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

9 hours ago, John E Davies said:

This is an interesting shot from the NOAA “predictive” weather site. I really like the old school graphics showing the fronts. I don’t recall ever seeing this much chaos spread all over the USA at one time, keeping in mind that the one solitary “H” represents the middle of the Polar Vortex. I think Sunday would be a good time to just hunker down and binge watch cable TV, if you still have power.

E04BE111-DC1B-44A6-9923-9DC0B815577E.thumb.jpeg.790775843b4303aa1cc6a772eabd92a7.jpeg

NOAA Weather Prediction Center

And here is a screen cap from my Windy app, showing temperature.

7700140F-80A0-4D6F-B344-4DF1752FCC9B.thumb.jpeg.ff80f5dad8e0937e31e844b7cc84c3a8.jpeg

https://www.johnnyjet.com/windy-best-free-weather-app/

So far in NE Washington we have missed all but some single digit night time temperatures, no snow, ice, or wind storms. No snapped trees or multi-car crashes. Stay warm and safe.

John Davies 
Spokane WA

Nice charts - Purple is usually one my favorites but not here.🙃. Real time this morn - 28, overcast, miserable - not a happy Valentine's. Netflix it will be....

March cannot come soon enough.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201