Remote Temperature Sensors

dewdev

What brand of remote temperature sensors are people using?

Are the fairly accurate and reliable?

My Ollie does not have a hatch to open like others have in the bottom of the night stand so I am not sure how to get the heat down below into the basement as well as into the plumbing areas. Will opening kitchen cabinets help get the heat down below? Any suggestions short of cutting holes in the fiberglass?

It looks like people are suggesting placing temperature sensors in the basement, under the bunks where the plumbing is and one or two on the outside of the Ollie. Is that the suggested locations?

Thanks

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators

Mine is very similar to THIS.

I've had it for seven years and it continues to function without any issues.  Even though I am mostly camped at altitude in the Rockies I do enjoy having the humidity readings along with the temps.

I keep one sensor under the propane tank area, one under the spare tire cover and one between the hulls (usually on the street side near the outdoor shower.  The main readout provides the temp and humidity for the main cabin - I have this mounted via "command strip Velcro" - between the bathroom and closet doors up fairly high so it can be seen from most places in the camper and yet is out of the way of the entrance.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We have an Acurite 3-zone monitor.  I like that all four sensors are shown on the screen; you don't have to cycle through the channels.  We did not camp in cold weather in our previous RV since it was not 4-season, so we used the sensors in the fridge/freezer/outside.  While camping in our Oliver during cold weather, the sensors are used in the basement (near the exterior hatch)/fridge/freezer.

When parked at home, we monitor the basement and water heater compartment (so we don't have to drain the water heater).  If the HWH area starts getting near freezing, we simply turn it on.  The basement temp isn't that much of an issue when the Ollie is parked at home, since we always put antifreeze in the water inlets and outdoor shower when cold weather is predicted.

In our previous RV we had to monitor the refrigerator constantly as it (a Dometic) struggled to maintain desirable temperatures.  With the Norcold we monitor to ensure it isn't too cold . . . . . thus far, the Oliver fridge is so much better than the "Demonic" ever hoped to be.  Setting the temp to levels 2-4 has been good so far; we'll see how it performs when outdoor temperatures warm up.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

11 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Mine is very similar to THIS.

I've had it for seven years and it continues to function without any issues.  Even though I am mostly camped at altitude in the Rockies I do enjoy having the humidity readings along with the temps.

I keep one sensor under the propane tank area, one under the spare tire cover and one between the hulls (usually on the street side near the outdoor shower.  The main readout provides the temp and humidity for the main cabin - I have this mounted via "command strip Velcro" - between the bathroom and closet doors up fairly high so it can be seen from most places in the camper and yet is out of the way of the entrance.

Bill

How many velcro strips did you use and does it stay on the wall when traveling or do you take it down?

One thing I did was to label each zone: basement/fridge/freezer to avoid confusion.

• Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

For the readout on the interior I use just two of those strips.  Other than taking it down for winter storage, the unit stays right there.

For the exterior sensors I used exterior "Velcro" (remember the thread regarding the different types of this stuff).  These also stay in place during my Rving season and are taken down during winter storage.  The sensor in the "basement" is also attached with a command strip.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We also use AccuRite 3 zone as stated above and as shown in our blog here:

https://4-ever-hitched.com/ggs-blog/f/keeping-gg-safely-warm

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg