Extreme weather

Gofigure1149

My wife and I have lived in our Ollie Elite 2 for 7 months now waiting for our house in Oklahoma to be completed. It's currently minus 18 degrees out there with a snow blizzard. It will last for over a week. If this doesn't test Ollie to the max I don't know what will. I would have gone to a hotel by now if I didnt feel I had to hang with the ship to make sure we don't have damage. Can't dump because valves are frozen. Using outhouse nearby. Hoping gas continues to the furnace and Truma water. Filled fresh water from only un- frozen spigot used for boon docking. Trying to keep heat inside to 70 degrees but floor is really cold. Have small electric in basement working. I think Ollie is great 4 season but not sure about this 5th season. 

Dan and Jennifer Brumfield 

• Like 1
  • Wow 3

• Moderators

Omg. This is crazy weather!

I'm so sorry.  You are really putting your resources to the test. How much propane do you have?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Do you have an electric heater to supplement?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

in your shoes, I would skedaddle to the nearest Walmart or Home Depot and buy two or three additional 20 pound (standard BBQ size) full bottles of propane. You are maintaining a 90 degree temperature differential (Delta T) and your appliances will be sucking gas like you will not believe. I am sure there are a lot of full timers in the South who are in your same situation, so you may not find any full bottles to buy, but I think it would be prudent to check anyway. Is there any way to dump the Truma when it is this frigid? That would save that expensive unit from freeze damage if the worst happens.

Is there a lot of snow on the ground? If so, get out the shovels and pile it up around the belly to block out as much air infiltration as possible. If you have any construction materials that are not frozen to the ground, you could make barricades from that.

Good luck.

john Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks John. All good advice. Should have listened to wife 3 days ago when she suggested buying some hay bales to put around it. Thought then she was being extreme. Too late where I am to get out safely. But I will look for barricade material. I put truck close to one side.. I stuffed insulation under the propane cover to keep the valves from freezing. Tank heaters were an option I thought was ridiculous on this but pretty happy I have them I guess. Other than a set of switches I have no idea if they work. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I don't know if you have power to see the forum, but I,  and many of us, have been thinking of you,,and hope you are doing ok .

• Like 2
  • Care 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 weeks later...

Please post an update, many of us are concerned and very interested to learn how this turned out. Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.