Bed Sheets or Sleeping Bags... Which do you use?

Carl Hansen

We are planning to use sleeping bags on top of sleeping pads for our bed arrangement.  In an Elite I, we don't think leaving the bed made up with sheets makes sense for us.  We need all the space we can for cooking/eating and independent work projects.  Sharing the small dinette table doesn't seem feasible.  So we anticipate quickly packing away sleeping bags and pads every morning to have more usable space.  Of course the Elite I does not have much storage room for such things, so I am thinking these will be stored in a bin in the back of the truck.

What has your experience been?  What has worked for you?  Please share your thoughts and your experience. 

Thanks in advance!

Carl

• Like 1

2021 Legacy Elite I | "Lil' Tow" | Hull #924

Tow Vehicle: 2020 Jeep Gladiator

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

We have done both. As we are in the EII, we have more room, and thus don't rearrange each morning. We leave a covered topper on the regular cushions, (tuck a sheet around it)  and either use a heavy comforter , down bag, or light blanket - just depends on temps.  It all just gets moved to the rear - if we need seating. But not very often.

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

We also have both. We tend to use the sleeping bag as secondary bedding for short trips. I would use the sleeping bag more if they were zippered on both sides I’m a turner and wind up getting wrapped up in the sleeping bag, We purchased bedding from ABS bedding  and really like the custom fit sheet and blankets it gives you that home sleep feeling. In short which ever make you more comfortable, 

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Sleeping bags for us, definitely.  We tried real bedding but it was too much trouble and honestly just didn't feel like camping.  If we were full timers, then I imagine that we'd reconsider.  

We carry both lightweight and heavyweight bags, plus a couple smaller Rumpl blankets, which are great to have around camp.  We've found that instead of sleeping inside the sleeping bags, we'll put one down as the bottom and then one on top as a comforter.  That's less constricting and the bottom one acts as extra cushioning.  Everything is down, and thus can all be easily stuffed into the top of the closet, with some netting to hold them in place.  It takes two minutes tops to put everything away in the morning, leaving us with a great lounge/dining area in the back and not feeling like we're camping in our bedroom.  

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

I'm also in an Elite II but don't think that I'd sleep much differently in either Ollie.  I did get a mattress for one side and I use the other side as a couch unless my wife or fishing buddy is along.  Initially I tried the regular bedding thing with special sheets but soon reverted to my long time tradition of a sleeping bag with a mattress cover and bottom sheet on the mattress.  I bought a "rectangular" sleeping bag so as to have more foot room and it is only a 25 degree bag.  This weight bag allows me a fairly wide range of conditions where I can use it along with a microfiber bag liner and a couple of blankets.  If it is hot I simply use the liner.  If it is cold I use the liner in the bag along with blankets at the feet in the event I get chilled towards morning - note that I almost never sleep with the heat on.  In the morning, the sleeping bag is much easier to smooth out and/or roll into a neat "pile" at the foot of the bed.

Either way - experiment a little until you find what works for you for a great nights sleep.  I'd bet that moving the bedding back and forth to your TV will get a bit troublesome after awhile though.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

3 hours ago, Overland said:

Everything is down, and thus can all be easily stuffed into the top of the closet, with some netting to hold them in place.  It takes two minutes tops to put everything away in the morning, leaving us with a great lounge/dining area in the back and not feeling like we're camping in our bedroom.  

We have migrated to what the backpacking crowd calls a  quilt - Revelation Quilts (enlightenedequipment.com) - we have two - hers and mine. They are "spendy" but top quality and stuff into almost nothing. 

RB

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BackofBeyond said:

We have migrated to what the backpacking crowd calls a  quilt - Revelation Quilts (enlightenedequipment.com) - we have two - hers and mine. They are "spendy" but top quality and stuff into almost nothing. 

RB

I think if we didn't already have ours, we might have tried those.  Actually, one of the bags was leaking a bit this last trip, so maybe I should take a look at a replacement.

• Like 1

• Moderators

We usually leave the bed made up. In our 2008, the table is pretty heavy and awkward for me to manage alone, plus I  like the extra storage beneath the bed.

For those who do like the sleeping bag option, silk slerpbags are really nice by themselves in the warmer months, or as a liner in cooler months. I bought them for our family decades ago for cabin camping and hostels in Scandinavia,  where you either must bring your own sheets, or rent them. Sleeping bags are usually not allowed. 

Our sleep sacks have ties, not zippers. But they're easy to handwash, dry quickly, and breathe. They weigh almost nothing, have a pillow cover attached, and roll and squish down into a little stuff bag. I saw on Amazon that some versions now have zippers. They come in different sizes.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We use sheets and quilts, with wool blankets on top when it is really cold. I don't like the constricted feeling of a sleeping bag or the nylon against my skin. David would probably be happy either way.  We have the Elite 2, twin bed model, with the beds made up during the day with the quilts and matching shams on big bed pillows it looks nice and gives us a comfy place to relax.  Paula

• Thanks 1

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, GraniteStaters said:

We use sheets and quilts, with wool blankets on top when it is really cold

You would be surprised at how much warmer a wool blanket is, with a sheet on top. Kind of like insulation. If, you ever feel you need it.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, dewdev said:

LL Bean sells sleeping bags with flanel inners.

I love the nostalgia.  But, a cotton liner needs to be dried out, daily, to stay warm. 

There's an old saying in cold country, "cotton kills. Wool warms."

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

8 hours ago, BackofBeyond said:

I have been considering the very same product. I’m glad to hear you love yours. Do you sleep directly on the trailer cushions with the quilt over top, our do you use a layer underneath you?

2021 Legacy Elite I | "Lil' Tow" | Hull #924

Tow Vehicle: 2020 Jeep Gladiator

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

From a previous RV - we use a 2" Latex  memory top, (I cut to fit) covered by a sheet, then depending on temps, a quilt or whatever. 

We use the quilts in our everyday life also. I originally purchased  for backpacking  but - we use them everyday in the winter - last few days for sure. 

Beware - these are extremely efficient - depending on the fill - we have 10 and 20 degree - you will stay warm. I sleep warm - so I am usually semi covered.  

Quality is top notch. 

RB

Edited by BackofBeyond
correction

Sleeping bags remind me of my boy scout days, I don't really care to sleep in them again. I guess since we don't Boondock only at Walmart when we have to, I hope to pass on those wonderful experiences back when I was a kid.  But, if it works for you, go for it.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I saw this 4 day sale on Costco this morning on the XL Duvalay, which I  think would fit really nicely on the Legacy II twins. It combines everything- pad, sheet, comforter, and would likely be less confining than a sleeping bag. Rolls up nice for daytime storage in the photos.

Three colors. 

Unfortunately,  sale ends tomorrow.  But even the regular Costco price is a big savings over srp.

Screenshot_20210304-085746_Costco.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I use a light three season (35 degree) poly mummy bag with a microfiber liner. https://www.rei.com/product/850235/cocoon-microfiber-mummy-liner

It is really really hard to get in and out of, but I SLEEP much better, mainly because with the narrow bunk mattress and regular cotton bedding I cannot simply roll onto my side, I have to wake up and heave my body to its new position. This slippery bag conforms to my body and I can change position much easier, so that often I don’t wake up at all. I do use both a mattress cover and a decorative cover under the bag. I wash the liner at home after every trip, or it could easily be hand washed in the sink, and I wash the bag at the end of the season. My wife OTH much prefers sheets and blankets.... I normally set the cabin furnace temp to about 60 degrees, but when I am alone it goes down to 50. I try to supercool it in very hot weather and turn off the AC at bedtime.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.