Towing questions

Go2mt

About to pickup up our Oliver II at the factory on March 4th.   Our tow vehicle is a 1500 Chevrolet.   Please confirm that the top of the hitch ball is 23.5 to 24.5.   Is the ball size 2 5/16?   Is the recommended ball height the unladen height without the trailer?  Thank you!
John Conn & Linda Bush, Michigan

Hull #752

Edited by Go2mt

6 minutes ago, Go2mt said:

About to pickup up our Oliver II at the factory.   Our tow vehicle is 1500 Chevrolet.   Please confirm that the top of hitch ball is 23.5 to 24.5.   Is the ball size 2 5/16?   Is the recommended ball height the unladen height without the trailer.  Thank

The standard size that they install is a 2" ball.

image.jpeg.09f40a09983d95bd862eb789e3430148.jpeg

2019 Ram 1500 5.7L V8, 3.92 axle ratio - 2020 LEll - Hull676

2" ball. Your in the ball park with your hitch height- unladen. 

However, each situation may be different - based upon payloads, where you have stuff stowed in the Ollie, ext., 

After your all hitched up, and loaded as you would be for a normal trip - take the time to find a nice flat spot, and take a look at how your truck and trailer are setting. A slight bias to the front - lower in the front of Ollie - is desired.  I actually run mine at level - but just barely. I am sure each trip and loading results change the ball weight in either direction. The Walmart just outside the Oliver sales and service complex would be a fine place to check your self out.

Your settings worked for my 2004 GMC. However it didn't have the power delivery I wanted - so I upgraded to a 2500. 

Of course these are my opinions and worth about what one pays for them. 🤑

Happy Trails

RB

OFD

Edited by BackofBeyond

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

You probably need the Andersen hitch, almost all light trucks do for the LE2 because of the fairly high tongue weight. Oliver will set it up for you at delivery day. It is adjustable for height.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Go2 - 

I'd add to what JD said above and strongly suggest that if your 1500 is still under warranty you there is no "probably" in getting the Andersen unless you want to take the risk of losing that warranty and/or having liability issues in the event of an accident.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

20 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

You probably need the Andersen hitch, almost all light trucks do for the LE2 because of the fairly high tongue weight. Oliver will set it up for you at delivery day. It is adjustable for height.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thank you

8 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Go2 - 

I'd add to what JD said above and strongly suggest that if your 1500 is still under warranty you there is no "probably" in getting the Andersen unless you want to take the risk of losing that warranty and/or having liability issues in the event of an accident.

Bill

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Pat - 

I started to recommend that you also post this over in Classifieds but then I saw that you already had completed that action.

In both cases though, you might want to consider adjusting your phone number to make it more difficult for BOT's and Spammers to read it.  Something like:

five one 3 8 nine 1 5 one one 2 is an example.

Bill

p.s.  good luck!

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 2/15/2021 at 12:27 PM, Ray Kimsey said:

The standard size that they install is a 2" ball.

For a small up-charge, they will convert the BullDog hitch to a 2 5/16".  We did that with ours.

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• 2 weeks later...

I have pulled my Elite II with our 4wd Ram 1500 with no problems when we first got it, but the weight factor is where you could have a problem. Most half ton pickups pretty much max out at 500 lbs. tongue weight, so for insurance and safety reasons you need the Anderson hitch to put you in the safe range.  Yes, you could have an accident and if it went to court you could loose the case and your insurance could deny paying the claim because you over loaded your tow vehicle beyond the manufactures ratings. It takes a 3/4 ton pickup for an Oliver Elite II to be within the safety range for towing said vehicle.

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Long ago I upgraded to the 2 5/16 hitch.  Glad I did.  Would do it again.  

Lots of discussions on this topic.  Suggest you search the blog.

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg