1.25" Rear Bumper Accessory Receiver

Carl Hansen

Greetings!

Do you have the rear bumper receiver?  How do you use it?  Can you comment on the quality and durability of the receiver?  Is it well built and solid construction?

We love cycling, so we plan on using the rear receiver for our bikes.  Depending on our destination, we will take either our mountain bikes or our road bikes.  We have NV 2.0 Kuat hitch rack and will need to use a adapter since our rack is the 2" model.  We also have the Kuat Pivot v2 that we use to swing the bikes 90 degrees to access the back of the Gladiator.  I don't think there is a need for the Pivot with the Ollie.

It looks good from the pictures, but I wanted feedback from those who might already have the rear bumper receiver.

Thanks!

Carl

2021 Legacy Elite I | "Lil' Tow" | Hull #924

Tow Vehicle: 2020 Jeep Gladiator

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

The Pivot v2 and the NV 2.0 are both "NOT RV compatible." The Oliver hitch is great if you already have a 1.25" RV compatible rack that you like. If your rack is 2.0", using any adapter will reduce the weight rating of the rack.

Edited by Jairon

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

2 minutes ago, Jairon said:

The Pivot v2 and the NV 2.0 are both "NOT RV compatible."

Yikes!  I’m not planning on using the pivot on the trailer but I didn’t realize the NV 2 was not RV compatible. 
OK, plan B. 

Well that is what Kuat says - which makes no sense to me. Perhaps the added up/down movement on the end of a 20' lever is the issue. 

For my two cents - serious users will need to modify the Oliver structure to accommodate  a sturdy bike  carrying platform. 

I use an older Thule - mounted on the former model of Oliver rack supports. Very sturdy, and still removable. 

The dirt and trash vortex created behind the Oliver is also a bit much - My MTB's feel at home, the road bikes  - abused.😄

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I just purchased a Oliver rear receiver and had Oliver ship it to me so I can install it myself.

The Oliver receiver is a very solidily built unit. It is mounted to the top of the rear bumper with 4 bolts (2 on each side). 

Yes it is a 1-1/4" receiver so you will need a bike rack to accomodiate that size.

Oliver took a 2" receiver and welded a insert into this receiver to make it a 1-1/4 receiver. They did that as they do not want more that 150 pounds (as I was told) mounted on the back of the Oliver.

RB - Thanks for the reminder about the dirt and trash vortex. I will plan to use a cover on my carbon fiber bikes to keep them clean. Grit on the chain and gears are not good.

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

11 hours ago, Carl Hansen said:

Greetings!

Do you have the rear bumper receiver?  How do you use it?  Can you comment on the quality and durability of the receiver?  Is it well built and solid construction?

We love cycling, so we plan on using the rear receiver for our bikes.  Depending on our destination, we will take either our mountain bikes or our road bikes.  We have NV 2.0 Kuat hitch rack and will need to use a adapter since our rack is the 2" model.  We also have the Kuat Pivot v2 that we use to swing the bikes 90 degrees to access the back of the Gladiator.  I don't think there is a need for the Pivot with the Ollie.

It looks good from the pictures, but I wanted feedback from those who might already have the rear bumper receiver.

Thanks!

Carl

Carl

I have the Oliver bumper receiver option. I made a few changes and if interested can be seen at Ollie Modification under Modified Receiver Hitch.

Paul

49 minutes ago, dewdev said:

Oliver took a 2" receiver and welded a insert into this receiver to make it a 1-1/4 receiver. They did that as they do not want more that 150 pounds (as I was told) mounted on the back of the Oliver.

I gave up on the Oliver receiver and I can't get over the fact that they are still saying this. Nothing about a 1.25" receiver prevents people from overloading it. Towing a trailer is all about knowing and following weight limitations. GVWR, payloads, tongue weights, etc; all of which can kill you when ignored.

Edited by Jairon

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

40 minutes ago, Jairon said:

I gave up on the Oliver receiver and I can't get over the fact that they are still saying this. Nothing about a 1.25" receiver prevents people from overloading it. Towing a trailer is all about knowing and following weight limitations. GVWR, payloads, tongue weights, etc; all of which can kill you when ignored.

It is not so much about killing you, as it is also killing that busload of innocent passengers when your trailer swaps lanes on the freeway.... It was their lawyers who are responsible, is my suspicion. Liability lawsuits can destroy a company. A large number of frivolous ones largely helped to wipe out our thriving General Aviation industry forty years ago.

It sure would be nice if they gave us super strong parts and just said, “You can use your own judgement, load that sucker down!”. 😬 But the likelihood of that happening is nil.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

5 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

It was their lawyers who are responsible, is my suspicion.

They should get a second opinion and have someone draft a liability waiver. I've wasted more time than I care to admit looking for 2" receiver solution. 😡

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

1 minute ago, John E Davies said:

It was their lawyers who are responsible, is my suspicion. Liability lawsuits can destroy a company. A large number of frivolous ones largely helped to wipe out our thriving General Aviation industry forty years ago.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Certainly - the bottom feeders in the practice if LAW cause havoc on the well meaning amongst us -  but to often its initiated by unreasonable demands of customers - as they place undue overloads on TV's,  pile more into an RV than its rated, and strain that poor little 11/4" hitch hanging off the rear. 

Oliver once provided a very robust rear "Rack" platform - and discontinued due to  - well doesn't matter. 

Oliver continues to provide the basics of what could be a robust platform. 

I'm in the camp of  - good start - I'll take it from there. Or copy the parts of the design I like - and go from there. 

Does any other SOB even provide a platform? 

I understand what Oliver is doing on the rear hitch option. In the end it is attempting to meet customer demands without giving them a potential  weapon that could sink the company.

RB

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jairon said:

They should get a second opinion and have someone draft a liability waiver. I've wasted more time than I care to admit looking for 2" receiver solution. 😡

The solution is simple - and most competent fabricators can build an appropriate solution.

RB

29 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

The solution is simple - and most competent fabricators can build an appropriate solution.

It is simple once you exhaust all other reasonable options which include a back and forth with the sales team on utilizing their receiver as the base of your custom modification only to find out they won't even sell it to you with a piece left off. This conversation was after searching the forums for weeks looking at all of the custom designs done by users over the years.

Then you actually have to find a local fab that is competent and have them build it from scratch based off the data you've collected during your month long forum investigation. Hopefully the end result is better than something Oliver could offer... hopefully.

Or... I could check a box and sign my name next to a box that says "You agree to never load our 2 inch receiver over the weight limit of X." This would be in addition to the legalese I've already agreed to which I'm sure absolves Oliver of any liability for anything an idiot could dream up... *deep breaths* 🤪

I'll let you know how my gamble works out: https://www.gsfabricating.com/

Edited by Jairon
  • Like 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

Were I Oliver - an X on a liability waver_ would not suffice either. 

Hope it works out.

Are you in Ohio? or close to GS. Seems a local would be better to work with. But I digress.

RB

Seems I remember Mr. Ford offering to meet customers demands on model T exterior color - you could have any color you desired - as long as it was black. Seems Oliver is slightly better in this respect......😀

I wish you well and look forward to the solution.

Edited by BackofBeyond
I'm stupid.

10 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

Seems a local would be better to work with

GS is local.

12 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

Were I Oliver - an X on a liability waver_ would not suffice either. 

Maybe a lawyer on the forum can better explain how overloading one system and killing someone/yourself is not a liability but overloading another system is.

12 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

and look forward to the solution

Me too! 😂

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2 hours ago, Minnesota Oli said:

I have the Oliver bumper receiver option. I made a few changes and if interested can be seen at Ollie Modification under Modified Receiver Hitch.

Wow Paul!  That is a very elegant solution. I don’t have fabrication skills but it is great to see what can be done.  Nice work!

Carl

Anybody - try checking some local 4x4 offroad custom shops, they are used to fabricating all sorts of stuff. Usually from steel, but some will have aluminum expertise. And don’t forget local machine shops. Jeepers and overlanders get stuff made all the time, you can benefit from those shops. Any machine shop could mill a beautiful 2” receiver from a solid block of 3” square 6061 T6, and put in the necessary holes or grooves. Or they will weld one up from 1/2” plate. This is nothing out of the ordinary for them.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I have that carrier option on my Oliver.  It is extremely well built and constructed...not an off the shelf item at all.  Just looking at the metal thickness, weld quality, and overall construction, one can see it is a quality designed and built item.

The big issue with the carrier is the access to the spare, as the tolerance is so tight on the construction that it can (an does) bind when pulling the pins and trying to slide the carrier rearward to gain access to the spare.  I found it necessary to remove my carrier and rework it a bit.  Unless that carrier is mounted on a perfectly flat surface, you will have binding when attempting to slide rearward for spare tire assess.  This can be overcome by reworking slightly the pin holes and rounding the edges of the thick aluminum tubing.  This carrier was mounted by Oliver and I don’t believe they could have inspected its function after installation.  I now carry a rubber hammer in my tool kit so I can “assist” the carrier rearward to gain access to the spare.

There are most likely some very good reasons they install a 1 1/4 hitch size...but I believe the carrier capable of more weight to carry than Oliver suggests.  There are many factors to consider other than what the carrier is capable of.

Steve R.

ARLAPATNTXVAWVsm.jpg

2015 Oliver Elite 2

Hull #106

2019 Ford F-250 Super Duty, 6.7 diesel 

I appreciate everyone who has chimed in here.  I believe for now I will still include the receiver in my build configuration but many of your comments have given me some food for thought!

Carl

We purchased the receiver option on out 2019 Elite II, we original purchased it to carry two bicycles, used them once and then sold the bikes and purchase two E-Bikes and we carry them in the back of the PU as they weigh around 70 lbs. each. I guess we might have made it work, but I just didn't like how it would work out, so I opted for a better way to carry the E-Bikes. The hitch is now unpinned and is setting in my shop, I may some day buy a aluminum carrier and use it that way, but as of today I have not needed the extra caring room. Plus I'm not too crazy about it being in the way everytime I want to get the sewer hose out and use it. I would also change out the 1 1/4" receiver for a 2" receiver, the 1 1/4 is pretty flimsily and I didn't like it either.  

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.