Is 2021 the right time to buy a new RV?

Ken_Judy

I ran across a You Tube video with the above subject and gave it a watch.  It was interesting to compare buying an Oliver to the "mainstream RV buyer possible concerns about purchasing in 2021.  They were listed as very little inventory to choose from, very little discount on the ones available, not getting the exact model or options you want, build quality during covid, and finally when everyone who purchased an RV in 2020 decides it was a poor decision and wants to sell the market for used trailers will tank.  One, well as most of us know, there is no inventory to choose from and all Olivers are optioned out just for you.  Two, very little discount ha ha how about no discount.  The discount went away with the thought of a dealer network.  Third, I'm sure covid was a challenge to Oliver as well but I doubt it affected quality.  Finnaly, Olivers like many fiberglass trailers hold their values well and unlike the stick and staple units out there there really is value in an Oliver.  Enjoy

• Like 1

Believe the RV market is different for Oliver Travel Trailers.

When we first learned about Oliver Travel Trailers, Oliver was not building campers due to an economic slowdown. We wanted one when they were not being built and when Oliver started building the LE2 during 2015 and we wanted an LE2 eventually buying a used LE2 during 2016. We keep Ollie in good condition and it has appreciated!

Even with higher fuel prices believe Oliver Travel Trailers will continue to be in demand. Since we love camping and still have plenty of places to visit and enjoy, not only is our Ollie a vehicle to explore new places, it's also an investment that appreciates.

• Like 1

LE2

I’ve seen several videos on this topic by the YouTube “experts”.  I agree that the normal RV market doesn’t really apply to direct to customer manufacturers like Oliver, Escape and Casita.  I think all these now have delivery dates in 2022 at this point.   As pricing is set you aren’t really subject to supply/demand dynamics of dealer model to get the best deal .  Will be interesting to see if market gets flooded with used RVs late this year into 2022. I don’t think you will see that with Oliver.   Given price point I’d expect most buyers to have down considerable research before buying.    Will be interesting to watch.  Maybe some deals to be used had on some nice tow vehicles!

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

The fiberglass travel market is a whole different animal, if you purchased a stick build trailer your probably going to loose your rear end, but you did get to go camping. We had a Casita Travel Trailer before our Oliver Elite II and all I can say is it was a very good trailer for our first trailer in 30 years. Oh we sold it for $400 less then we paid for it three years earlier. The fiberglass travel market is no where like other trailer travel trailer markets, even Airstream doesn't have the resale as high as the Oliver's do. All being said, do your homework, I didn't watch the video because I've all ready done my homework. None of the fiberglass travel trailer manufactures discount, maybe that should tell you something, plus if you want one to order, you best start now if you intend to go camping in the next 6-12 months. 

trainman 

Edited by Trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators

I think the very best time to buy a travel trailer is when you have the time to use it.

We never looked at our Ollie as a financial "investment, " but we do feel we've had a great return in memories and fun. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Such an interesting question.  Certainly many factors to consider. But perhaps the most important for me would be -WHY, and do you have the means to purchase, and the time to enjoy it....

My Ollie as a  financial investment - Hah, NOT!! however, if you consider it an investment in our health and mental wellness - it does add to our living enjoyment, a decent investment indeed.

I always get a kick out of price and design comparisons between SOB -  AIRSTREAM and Oliver. One could spend a great deal of time and energy delving into the subject. I don't believe there is much to be compared. Each time I have attempted - it ends up that about the only similarities I find between the two major players at the top  - they are both RV's and command prices well above industry norms. Otherwise they diverge from there. I am also on the fence if they even serve similar segments of the  market. Course that is my opinion. 

Good day all

Edited by BackofBeyond
  • Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

On 2/17/2021 at 6:06 AM, TexasGuy said:

I’ve seen several videos on this topic by the YouTube “experts”.  I agree that the normal RV market doesn’t really apply to direct to customer manufacturers like Oliver, Escape and Casita.  I think all these now have delivery dates in 2022 at this point.   As pricing is set you aren’t really subject to supply/demand dynamics of dealer model to get the best deal .  Will be interesting to see if market gets flooded with used RVs late this year into 2022. I don’t think you will see that with Oliver.   Given price point I’d expect most buyers to have down considerable research before buying.    Will be interesting to watch.  Maybe some deals to be used had on some nice tow vehicles!

There will most certainly be an overabundance of used RV's as the "Covid Campers" tire of RV life.  Those in the market for a used SOB would definitely benefit from waiting.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 2/21/2021 at 9:19 AM, SeaDawg said:

I think the very best time to buy a travel trailer is when you have the time to use it.

We never looked at our Ollie as a financial "investment, " but we do feel we've had a great return in memories and fun. 

I find it frustrating that we are now owners of a quality trailer, but have limited opportunities to enjoy our previous adventures, especially camping in State/National parks.   I do hope that, once the RV "fad frenzy" has subsided, we can again pull into our favorite campground in the middle of the week and find a vacancy.

• Love 1

Ray and Susan Huff

On 2/27/2021 at 2:57 PM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

I find it frustrating that we are now owners of a quality trailer, but have limited opportunities to enjoy our previous adventures, especially camping in State/National parks.   I do hope that, once the RV "fad frenzy" has subsided, we can again pull into our favorite campground in the middle of the week and find a vacancy.

I agree! Texas has limited the campgrounds due to Covid only allowing a certain number of people in the parks with a day pass and not all camping sites are available to reserve. Those that are available book up the minute they become available on the reservation system 4-5 months out. I still work so we are pretty much limited to Fri/Sat/Sun when everyone else wants to camp. I also agree that the used RV market will be flooded in the next 6-12 months both from those unable to use their trailers as much as they had expected, those who can't afford them when their unemployment benefits run out and those who only purchased to travel when the cruise line and airlines limited their previous types of travel.

Cindy

• Like 1

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

5 hours ago, Time2Go! said:

I agree! Texas has limited the campgrounds due to Covid only allowing a certain number of people in the parks with a day pass and not all camping sites are available to reserve. Those that are available book up the minute they become available on the reservation system 4-5 months out. I still work so we are pretty much limited to Fri/Sat/Sun when everyone else wants to camp. I also agree that the used RV market will be flooded in the next 6-12 months both from those unable to use their trailers as much as they had expected, those who can't afford them when their unemployment benefits run out and those who only purchased to travel when the cruise line and airlines limited their previous types of travel.

Cindy

I think Texas facilities will be much more usable in the near future. 

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BackofBeyond said:

I think Texas facilities will be much more usable in the near future. 

Yes, we’ll be fully open next Wednesday.  Weekends in Texas State Parks fill fast, but weekdays are generally available.  With the governors announcement that COVID restrictions are gone next week I hope that state parks will be open to capacity.  Mike

• Sad 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

9 hours ago, Time2Go! said:

Cindy

We got lucky this week . . . . . with three days of sunny weather forecast, we decided on a last minute trip to a nearby State Park to do some biking.  Checked in at 4:30 on a Monday; there were 8 sites available.  We went ahead and reserved our site for the following night, as it hadn't been reserved yet.  By the time we pulled out Wednesday afternoon, all open sites were reserved.  

Looks like we might be doing a lot of boondocking or something other than state parks for a while.  At least we are both retired, so can go mid-week, though it doesn't really seem to matter what day it is!

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff