Trailer design Theme

Pat Maundrell

We have placed our order for a new Trailer and are now in the phase of not only selecting the Options we want but also thinking on how to decorate the inside to personalize the trailer. I think we already have most of the RV stuff from older Trailers/MHs.

We are retired Sailors so we decided on a Nautical Theme, which should fit the Oliver extremely well! Many of our old Sailboats had white Gelcoat and Stainless Steel\Hardware with Teak Trim which we found really complimented each other.

The question is how to accomplish the objectives you want. Note, hopefully everything can be done without permanently damaging the trailer, i.e. drill into the fiberglass etc, this way it can be change back to suit someone else's taste. In our case, we plan on using Dark Blue fabric on the Dinette seats, (custom upholstery Job) with Gray Piping along with Dark Blue Bedding. We have 2 ZipDee Chairs for the outside, of course Dark Blue. Interior accessories include separate 3-4 inch Chrome Gauges Set, Temperature/Barometer/Clock, mounting location TBD, but probably on the Attic Door. The Bathroom Door Mirror will be covered with a thin White Formica (double taped on), and have a 12-15 inch round Marine Port Hole Mirror adhered to the outside of the door. Fortunately we still have the Marine Silverware and Dinnerware from the sailboat. Now for the Teak Trim, with a little luck I'll be able to make custom Teak CounterTops along with the Nightstand. The Dinette Table will be Teak with a Compass Rose Inlay in the center. The Shower will have the Teak Grate. We like the idea of the Lagun Table between the beds, Of course Teak Top.

I am curious what others have done to customize their Trailers.

Pat & Molly

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hi Pat and Molly.  We used a sea coast and nautical theme.  We live in mid coast Maine.  My wife takes photos so we had a number of them printed on canvas and hung them using 3M strips.  The photos included Maine lighthouses, coastal scenes, navigation buoys, and a nice one of our downeast boat.  We also added a custom side mounted Lagun table per Overlanld's design.  Our table top was a custom made folding mahagony table like one you would find attached to a binical in sailboat cockpit.  We customized the exterior with vinal graphics.  They are photos of Pemaquid Lighthouse.  We named our Ollie "Beacon"  Banana Banners in Bowdionham, Maine did the vinal graphics for us.  We were referred to them by Mainiac.  They have done graphics for several Oliver owners.  I have seen folks also use some custom final graphics on the interior too. MCB did some nice ones in and on the outside of his Ollie. Also from Banana Banners.  We also purchased bed covering to fit the theme.  Good luck this can be fun.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Pat & Molly - 

There have been a number of Oliver owners in addition to Mattnan that have walked down this beach before.  Hopefully even more will chime in with some pics in order to help you get that "look" you really want.

Good luck!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Pat and Molly:

If you decide to not make the Teak items yourself, attached is a catalog from Foy Speering who is a Oliver owner in Florida. I purchased the shower mat, cutting board that fit over the sink and the silverwear organizer. Foy does a wonderful job in his wood shop and ships them to you. Highly recommended and you will find him on the Oliver forums.

Richard

Foybles' Catalog V2.0f (1).pdf

Edited by dewdev
  • Like 2

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Pat Maundrell said:

. The Bathroom Door Mirror will be covered with a thin White Formica (double taped on), and have a 12-15 inch round Marine Port Hole Mirror adhered to the outside of the door

I think that's the most problematic idea, if you're thinking of a traditional (read heavy) port hole surround.

I've never attached anything but a sticky note to the door mirror. I don't think the white laminate is a problem,  but that heavy port and mirror would give me pause.

My daughter made a cute, nautical rope surround mirror. I could see a lightweight, shatterproof mirror circle, with hemp rope surround in that place. 

Screenshot_20210218-163734_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
Add a stock photo
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Other than that, I love your customization ideas. And the color scheme. We are also sailors. Blue, grey, white, and stainless with teak is an awesome combo. A bit of wood, here and there, can warm the interior, immensely.

What fabric are you looking at for upholstery? 

I'll look forward to your photos.

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Our color scheme revolves around navy blue cotton "bedspreads" purchased from Ikea.  The story behind these is:

As a teenager, I spent summers with Dad on his houseboat.  The sleeping area had two bunks, one on each side of the center aisle.  The bunks had royal blue rib cord spreads.  Ever since we have had twin bed RVs I've been looking for similar heavy rib-cord spreads like we had on the houseboat.  Finally found them (IKEA "Indira")! 

I intended to use rugs from our camper van, but they were small 1'8" x 27" (four of them).  I really like the bright colors, but I found it kept tripping over the edges.  Then I found the same rug in a 2' x 8' runner; perfect size for the floor from the galley to the bathroom door.  Will use one of the smaller rugs between the beds.

We like throw pillows for lounging on the beds and for use on the dinette.  Found two square and two oblong that round out our eclectic look.

For accessories, I have a lot of red for contrast.  Will get some interior pictures and share later.

Pillow 2.jpg

pillows.jpg

runner.jpg

• Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Photos, as promised

The embroidered dish towels were my evening projects; I had fun with these.

The brightly colored table cloth is from our camper van

The final photo is looking into the cabin from outside.  I love the navy Gorilla door mat.  It picks up water and debris off incoming shoes (mostly the husband's as I can't convert him to "no shoes").  It easily shakes out and is machine washable.  The back is non-slip.  24" x 17" is the perfect size for inside the door.  It can also be placed in front of the shower door for a bath mat.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Grip-Original-Chenille-Absorbent/dp/B07FPD51XC?th=1

Edit: now I'm working on a small rug knit from Pendleton selvedge ends.  Not sure I'll have enough material to make it very big.

P1000106.JPG

P1000107.JPG

P1000108.JPG

P1000109.JPG

P1000110.JPG

P1000113.JPG

P1000114.JPG

P1000116.JPG

Edited by Ray and Susan Huff
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

All excellent comments and good ideas! 

Initially we are thinking of Sunbella's, Captain Dark Blue Navy with Gray Piping to reupholster the Dinette Seats and now the "Head Protector" over the Door, now that I know it is there.

Throw rugs sounds like  good idea!

As for the Port Hole Mirror Idea on the Bath Room Door. We may be changing our initial idea from covering the Door Mirror with thin White Laminate and sticking the Mirror to it, to a little different approach. I am thinking of making a Flat Panel Door out of Teak with a 60 % bottom panel and a 40% top panel for the Mirror. The perimeter frame material around 1/2 inch thick and the panels 1/4 inch. All this stuck to the Mirror using Double Stick Tape and the Mirror screwed/taped to the panel.

We don't actually have our trailer yet so if anyone could provide us with the dimension that would be great to help us determine the proportions, especially the withd. Please email me so we can communicate better.

Thanks, Pat 

patmaundrell7@gmail.com

• Moderators

I think I'd wait on making changes to the door assembly, til you have it in hand, honestly.  

The bath door is not likely to support the weight of dense teak, imo. It is made to support the glass mirror panel, and vibration of travel. But, it's not a heavy hinge assembly. At least, not in our 2008.

Anything can be modified,  but, I'd wait to see what you're working with, imo 

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I like most color schemes if done in good taste. Our trailer is done in mainly silver exterior stripes and the inside is all white, with cushion and trim done in gray and wine red colors. Our interior is all white with the countertop all being the standard white color, it's very classy looking and we get complements on it all the time, plus was a saving of $1800. I did like the nautical theme and we did give it some thought, that is all white interior, with our trim being done in the green and blue nautical colors. I've had two BMW motorcycles painted that way and they were my favorite color combination. I'd go for that color combination, it would look good with the outside stripes in the nautical colors and a custom front decal that has a palm tree or something like that. Go for it.

trainman

• Thanks 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.