Question about no-microwave option on the smaller Oliver.

cbrucecampbell

Hello Bruce.

I posed the very same question to Anita at OTT.  She said "There is an outlet in the cabinet above the microwave (or convection oven) for either to plug into a power source".  I am guessing that there is some sort of pass thru for the cord.  

I am am getting the microwave box and deleting the microwave.  My thought is to keep a small toaster oven in the cabinet.  I would use that a lot more than I would use a microwave.  I will work out the details of that after I have the trailer.

Anita gave me the following dimensions for the box: 16-1/4 wide x 12-5/8 deep x 20-7/8 long.  I am guessing that the 20-7/8 dimension is the width of the box (as you are facing it) and that the box is 16-1/4 tall and 12-5/8 deep.  I did not verify my interpretation of the dimensions because the important thing to me was the location of the power source.  

Expected delivery for our 2021 Elite l is early June.  

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

• Moderators

I would check with my rep on current dimensions of the replacement box. It seems to change.

Did Anita tell you if you could actually access the outlet above the cabinet,  directly?

In not trying to be contrary,  just know that things have changed,  from year to year.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Longstride: Thanks. Very helpful. My recent experience with microwaves is they are often non-repairable. I think I prefer to have a finished cabinet and bring my own appliance, so I can easily swap it out if it goes bad.

My trailer is scheduled for late September pickup.  I'm trying to make all my option decisions well ahead of time. 

Thanks again. -bruce

• Like 1

You are welcome Bruce.

I agree with SeaDawg about asking your sales rep for dimensions of the box.  My research indicates that the dimensions have indeed changed during the evolution of the cabinet.   

SeaDawg: I did not specifically inquire about access to the power source.  Anita implied that it was set up for the microwave (or convection oven) to plug into.  I am just going to wait until I get delivery to finalize my plans for the box.  Then I can measure everything myself.  

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

• Moderators

@LongStride, I  think that's a good plan.

In our older elite, the outlet was inside the microwave cavity, under the cabinet. But, I've seen other discussions indicating it has moved, over the years .

When you get your trailer, it would be great if you would post current dimensions and outlet location. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Thanks. We mostly used items on hand, and a trip to IKEA. Their blum made hinges are awesome. 

We really find the cabinet to be an asset.

Do realize, we didn't line ours, or build it out, other than the side plywood panels, so ours is a bit bigger than the factory cabinet. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

5 hours ago, LongStride said:

Anita gave me the following dimensions for the box: 16-1/4 wide x 12-5/8 deep x 20-7/8 long.  I am guessing that the 20-7/8 dimension is the width of the box (as you are facing it) and that the box is 16-1/4 tall and 12-5/8 deep.

A couple of weeks ago I was told (I think) that the dimensions are 20" wide,  14" deep, and 12" high.  These are a bit different than the dimensions listed above (although perhaps I wrote them down incorrectly, or perhaps what I was given was very approximate).   

We too are skipping the microwave; a small toaster oven and/or small Instant Pot (for oatmeal, soup/stew, and perhaps fresh bread) will be more useful for us (at least when plugged in to shore power).  Apparently Oliver is discontinuing the option for omitting the microwave, as only about 10% of buyers have chosen to do so.  

Hopefully there will be an outlet, or at least an outlet that can be reached fairly easily.  

The cabinet door, I was told, hinges on the bottom.  

• Thanks 1

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

I was not a fan of the microwave or convection microwave anyway. I think of going the delete way. Could some one post a picture of the cabinet without the microwave in the Legacy Elite II. There are fantastic electric ovens that are cheaper than the $450 upgrade, and I have the generator to power them. I just want to see how it looks.

08AA1C20-79B7-4CD6-9C00-24C80363D4E7.png

Edited by fredmin

We all order our trailers with the options that will work for you, our Casita we did not order too many options and wish we would have ordered a few more, but when we went to sell it, it took 2 days to sell it. Our Oliver Elite II was also ordered with very few options as most everything is standard that we wanted. Our only options that we ordered were the Convection Microwave, Rear Hitch, 2 Propane Outside Outlets, no other options.  Were totally happy with our trailer and all works just fine for us. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

On 2/21/2021 at 6:18 AM, fredmin said:

08AA1C20-79B7-4CD6-9C00-24C80363D4E7.png

FYI That particular unit operates at 1800 watts/ 120 VAC (15 amps!!!), so it should only be used on a shared 20 amp circuit (12 or 10 AWG wire), or at a minimum on its own 15 amp dedicated circuit (14 AWG wire), with its own 15A circuit breaker and NO other outlets. Even then, it might cause the breaker to nuisance trip. It would require rewiring the Ollie. Running one extra 12AWG cable to that location would not be a big deal, but replacing all the existing wires with a larger size would be, indeed! There are empty spots on the breaker panel, so it should be doable.... You should run this by Oliver Service, to get their advice and blessing. I suspect they will tell you to not do it.

A typical large microwave is 1200 watts, a great BIG difference! BTW, it you want to use that Airfryer off the batteries and inverter, it will be a true Battery Killer. Be sure to get the lithium package, or alternatively make a big placard and tape it to the unit: "Shore Power Only!"

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 2/20/2021 at 2:17 PM, LongStride said:

Hello Bruce.

I posed the very same question to Anita at OTT.  She said "There is an outlet in the cabinet above the microwave (or convection oven) for either to plug into a power source".  I am guessing that there is some sort of pass thru for the cord.  

I am am getting the microwave box and deleting the microwave.  My thought is to keep a small toaster oven in the cabinet.  I would use that a lot more than I would use a microwave.  I will work out the details of that after I have the trailer.

Anita gave me the following dimensions for the box: 16-1/4 wide x 12-5/8 deep x 20-7/8 long.  I am guessing that the 20-7/8 dimension is the width of the box (as you are facing it) and that the box is 16-1/4 tall and 12-5/8 deep.  I did not verify my interpretation of the dimensions because the important thing to me was the location of the power source.  

Expected delivery for our 2021 Elite l is early June.  

We opted for no microwave; our Breville Mini-Smart toaster oven fits in the cabinet with a bit of room left over.  Regarding the outlet: it is in the cabinet above the microwave.  When you order the oven deletion, Oliver finishes the inside of the cabinet with fiberglass, but there is no cord port to access the outlet; you have to get to it from the overhead cabinet.  I don't think it would be hard to put an access port in, if you aren't opposed to drilling in your new Oliver!

I am afraid to use the toaster oven inside the cabinet since it puts out quite a bit of heat.  We set ours up on either the twin bed nightstand or on top of the stove (if it isn't being used).  You could also set it on the dinette table.  When better weather arrives, we will use the oven outside so as not to warm up the interior of the trailer.

I purchased a silicone heat mat for under the oven to protect the counter.  I also got one to place under our induction burner.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RNKFXRU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Good call about not using the toaster in the opening. All of the toasters, microwaves, air fryers need a few inches clearance and air circulation to prevent heat damage or fire. Or give me a call when the trailer burns. The investigation work pays for my new trailer. 

• Haha 1

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

17 hours ago, JRK said:

Good call about not using the toaster in the opening. All of the toasters, microwaves, air fryers need a few inches clearance and air circulation to prevent heat damage or fire. Or give me a call when the trailer burns. The investigation work pays for my new trailer. 

The toaster oven is more prone to excessive heat since the length of time it operates is generally longer than a regular toaster or microwave.  There is plenty of clearance with a smaller oven like the Breville Mini-Smart, but still no air circulation.

Ray and Susan Huff

Love, love our microwave convection oven, I could not even imagine buying a new or used Ollie without one, not to mention the value it will bring at resale.
Of course most options can be added by Oliver Service after the fact, but it’s costly.
Just another view point. 

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

We've monitored our toaster oven (also the Breville) and it doesn't seem to transfer much heat to the cabinet.  I mean, I wouldn't close the door while it's on.  We do make sure that it isn't in contact with anything else but that's all.  I was a little worried after I added a shelf above the oven, which closed down the gap at the top to about an inch, but even after 30 minutes with the oven on 450, the bottom of the shelf isn't particularly hot.  I think we had some discussion a few years back about adding some heat insulating board to the inside of the cabinet.

Edited by Overland

2 hours ago, Overland said:

We've monitored our toaster oven (also the Breville) and it doesn't seem to transfer much heat to the cabinet.  I mean, I wouldn't close the door while it's on.  We do make sure that it isn't in contact with anything else but that's all.  I was a little worried after I added a shelf above the oven, which closed down the gap at the top to about an inch, but even after 30 minutes with the oven on 450, the bottom of the shelf isn't particularly hot.  I think we had some discussion a few years back about adding some heat insulating board to the inside of the cabinet.

Where do you plug it in when it is in the cabinet?

Ray and Susan Huff

6 hours ago, Overland said:

The outlet is in the cabinet above, and there's an access hole in the top of the microwave cabinet.

6 hours ago, Overland said:

The outlet is in the cabinet above, and there's an access hole in the top of the microwave cabinet.

Our cabinet (2021 E2) doesn't have the access port . . . . . . I don't think . . . . . I'll check again, to be sure . . . . . . tomorrow, after daylight!

Ray and Susan Huff

I've been evaluating my microwave usage in my home kitchen - I have been using my Breville  multi-function oven more than the microwave and even my gas oven. I seem to use the microwave to heat water, and little else. the air fryer and reheat functions of the Breville get a lot of use, as well as replacing my toaster.

I did get the convection oven option for the Oliver. During the months after I placed the order, I think I realized that I don't need the microwave - hot water with electricity can be done in a water heating pot, or in a tea pot with a propane stove for french press coffee. I am seldom in a rush to get out the door since being semi-retired. I can plan my day being self-employed, mostly. I like an oven, so went with a convection oven, not really the microwave. Wasn't aware of the mini Breville. I think I would have gone without the microwave if I had thought more about it. I am a cheap ...... so have to further justify removing the convection microwave. I actually like toast made on one of those metal things that sit on top of a burner that require me to pay attention and turn the bread.

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited