Height of Oliver E II hitch from the ground

Coach and JoJo

23.5" for the 2020 EII we just picked up last November.  Keep in mind your tow vehicle hitch will sink an inch or two (depending on your suspension, etc.) with the additional tongue weight (and any other weight you may be carrying in the back of your TV).  My '06 2500 Silverado sinks 1.5" and I raise it back up to 23.5" with air shocks.

• Like 2

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

• Moderators

23.5” is what I used, too. (+/- a half inch).  My truck sank a little more than an inch, trailer is pretty level.  For a half ton, there will be a lot more drop once the trailer is hitched.  The Andersen can even that out.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

And, that 23.5" should be with your tow vehicle loaded with all the "stuff" that you would normally carry on a camping trip.  However, don't get too excited about being too precise on this measurement.  The guys at delivery will adjust it further and/or after you have towed for a bit you should find a level piece of ground and examine the "look" of your combined rig.  level to having the Oliver slightly nose down is good.  Having the nose of the Oliver higher than level - the back of the Oliver lower than the front of the Oliver is not good when hitched on level ground.  Fine tuning can be done with washers but be sure to re-torque appropriately.

Bill 

Edited by topgun2
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I am not sure if you are getting the Andersen hitch or not.  We purchased the Andersen Hitch and we tow with a half ton Tundra.

During our pick up and orientation Oliver adjusted  the Andersen Hitch for the drop of our truck when the trailer tongue weight was added. 

I amnot sure if the still do this. 

They were super helpful as we also had some small corrosion issues with our 7 pin hook up. This was solved with some special "jelly" 

We are complete novices when it came to camping.  We have made our share of mistakes, believe me!!! 

Good luck with your new Ollie!!!

• Like 1
  • Care 1

• 1 month later...

RESOLVED

I need to pickup an Andersen hitch this week for a previously owned LE2.

A. To determine which model, i.e., amount of drop, their instructions ask for the distance from the ground to the bottom of the coupler. Then the distance to the bottom of the receiver on the truck.

Bottom of my receiver is 20" (and might go up a bit with larger tires later).  If top of bulldog is 23.5, can I assume the bottom is 21.5?

Thus the difference is less than 4" so I just need their 4" drop model...which I expect is the most common.

B. Then they ask for measurements to determine bracket size.  Does anyone know the vertical width of the trailer frame at the front, where the brackets mount?

If 4 3/8 or 8" then that bracket is used.

If vertical width/distance is 3", 4", 5" or 6", then I need the distance from the ground to the top of the trailer frame, which is hopefully over 18" to use the standard brackets.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59717c92e6f2e15e9222f72c/t/59babeaecd39c35c59a52fad/1505410735094/Fitment+Guide+WD+Hitch.pdf

Thoughts?  thanks...

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

• 2 weeks later...

My trailer hitch guys recommended trying the Roadmaster Active Suspension System instead of air shocks or air bags on my GMC pickup. Takes one bolt to install.  It made a huge difference towing a heavy boat. I was down at the “Mother Ship” the other day to see our “new baby” being made for delivery June 1st and hooked a ll up to the truck. I was pleased to find the back end sank 1.25 inches and was eyeball level. The hitch guys told me to take an Anderson with me at pick up and if I didn’t need it, just return it. 

I’ve towed for 45 years, so it will be interesting to see how the Oliver ll tows. 

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Oldharry said:

I’ve towed for 45 years, so it will be interesting to see how the Oliver ll tows. 

You're going to love it - very stable!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"