power generation option?

mtkadan

My thought is IF I were interested in this, I would likely wait a year just to see how this set up works out. And I would do a much deeper dive spending some time on the Ford 150 forums to get owners thoughts and feedback that have really used this generator before ordering this option. 

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 2/24/2021 at 4:44 AM, Patriot said:

My thought is IF I were interested in this, I would likely wait a year just to see how this set up works out. And I would do a much deeper dive spending some time on the Ford 150 forums to get owners thoughts and feedback that have really used this generator before ordering this option. 

We avoid purchasing vehicles the first year of release.  Although the F-150 is not new, this configuration is.  Best to let others test the waters; investigate further, especially with the amount of technology that has infiltrated the automotive industry. 

For this very reason we are keeping our 2013 F-350 Super Duty.  It has been insanely reliable, probably in part due to the minimal computerized components.  I'm not sure what Ford is thinking here; the integrated generators seem more appropriate for commercial use, yet most contractors, etc. opt for a 3/4 or 1-ton pickup.  I imagine Ford is thinking more people can afford the 1/2-ton version, thus there will be more being tested by consumers; Ford's way of testing the waters, I say 😖

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

I'm not sure what Ford is thinking here; the integrated generators seem more appropriate for commercial use, yet most contractors, etc. opt for a 3/4 or 1-ton pickup.  I imagine Ford is thinking more people can afford the 1/2-ton version, thus there will be more being tested by consumers; Ford's way of testing the waters, I say 😖

Maybe in your part of the country, but, around here, many, if not most contractors I know drive half-tons.

Today's half-tons can tow the construction trailer to the jobsite, especially in my flat urban/suburban area. And, the trucks themselves are comfortable daily drivers.

In my area, most of the few 2005  (or was it ) 6  to 2008 Chevy  first gen half ton  hybrids sold to contractors.  Idling, they could run or charge power tools .

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

14 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Maybe in your part of the country, but, around here, many, if not most contractors I know drive half-tons.

Today's half-tons can tow the construction trailer to the jobsite, especially in my flat urban/suburban area. And, the trucks themselves are comfortable daily drivers.

In my area, most of the few 2005  (or was it ) 6  to 2008 Chevy  first gen half ton  hybrids sold to contractors.  Idling, they could run or charge power tools .

Depending on the contractors needs -  those few that have dirt moving equipment go 3/4 route.  Most all the landscapers have a 3/4 ton or larger, same for the concrete guys.  The framers, electricians, and such - 1/2 ton for sure. The person not getting dirty - 1/2 ton top optioned...... Denali's, Limited, etc..

I would also believe - carry gen sets - as they are much simpler to get to the jobsite. 

At least around these parts.

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Here is an earlier thread.

2021 F150

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Love 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.