Tips on draining holding tanks???

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Mattnan said:

Rookie mistake and learning opportunity that hate to admit

You're not the first. Won't likely be the last. But really kind of you to make others aware.

I think it's also important to not feel "hurried" at the dump station, just because there is a line. We wait our turns. Those behind us will wait theirs.

Edited by SeaDawg
Typo
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Just now, SeaDawg said:

You're not the first. Won't likely be the last. But really kind of you to make others 

I think it's also important to not feel "hurried" at the dump station, just because there is a line. We wait our turns. Those behind us will wait theirs.

In respect to crowds at the dump station, it sometimes pays to check out early and avoid the line.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

35 minutes ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

And don't forget the grey tank valve in the bathroom . . . . if not closed (in), you will arrive at your next destination with a full shower pan.

We always forget the opposite.  We forget to open it when we set up at a campground, then we use the bathroom sink and suddenly realize our feet are standing in a puddle.  

Edited by FrankC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, FrankC said:

We always forget the opposite.  We forget to open it when we set up at a campground, then we use the bathroom sink and realize our feet are suddenly standing in a puddle.  

Yeah . . . . . done that too!

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, FrankC said:

We always forget the opposite.  We forget to open it when we set up at a campground, then we use the bathroom sink and realize our feet are suddenly standing in a puddle.  

Yep - that is the reason I've got two bath mats

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Yup, even if we just emptied tanks, I  close the shower valve. Open it at arrival. Part of the list.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

HELLO!  Has anyone found a way to put a blade valve between the PVC and the flexible hose in the aft compartment to prevent "dribble" ?   We've had a couple of accidents.  (wasn't sure if we needed to start a new thread with this question)  This thread has been very educational.  We are getting better at it -- so far three sessions at the pump-out during three shake down cruises.   Practice practice practice.  "Big trip" planned mid-May beginning with the NotRally.

Zef and 00na

3 hours ago, ZEFAN00N said:

HELLO!  Has anyone found a way to put a blade valve between the PVC and the flexible hose in the aft compartment to prevent "dribble" ?   We've had a couple of accidents.  (wasn't sure if we needed to start a new thread with this question)  This thread has been very educational.  We are getting better at it -- so far three sessions at the pump-out during three shake down cruises.   Practice practice practice.  "Big trip" planned mid-May beginning with the NotRally.

Zef and 00na

There are “twist on” valves that can be added.  Might be a really tight fit inside the bumper area though.   But why are you getting the dribble?  Are you disconnecting the flexible hose from the rigid connector in the bumper?  I just leave the flexible hose connected to the Oliver rigid connector all the time.  And after emptying the tanks and making sure the Oliver valves are closed, and draining the hose as much as possible, I just cap the other end of the hose and store everything in the bumper.   You should have gotten the cap for the hose with the Oliver.  If not they are available on Amazon as well.

There’s a pretty long section of pipe between the actual valves (located at the front of the trailer near the bathroom under the front dinette seat) and the drain connection in the rear bumper.  So even after you close the valves, there can still be some liquids/solids in that length of pipe that will drain while you are towing.   Just leave the hose connected all the time and cap the far end. 

Valterra Twist-On Waste Valve, Mess-Free Waste Valve for RV's, Campers, Trailers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYJS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_T4DWB4XCG6F9XV4209A6

Camco RV Sewer Hose Storage Cap Set - Lug and Bayonet Caps | Allows You to Seal Both Ends of Your Sewer Hose Before Storing | Odor and Leak Proof Connection - 2 Pack (39752) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ1FKZ9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XJ3YQWCEEZ5KJASMG0NA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by FrankC
  • Like 3

• Moderators
5 hours ago, FrankC said:

There are “twist on” valves that can be added.  Might be a really tight fit inside the bumper area though.   But why are you getting the dribble?  Are you disconnecting the flexible hose from the rigid connector in the bumper?  I just leave the flexible hose connected to the Oliver rigid connector all the time.  And after emptying the tanks and making sure the Oliver valves are closed, and draining the hose as much as possible, I just cap the other end of the hose and store everything in the bumper.   You should have gotten the cap for the hose with the Oliver.  If not they are available on Amazon as well.

I agree with Frank on this.  The only dribble I can see would be if you unhooked your hose after you dump.  There is no need to do that - just leave it connected and cap it.  The next time you use it just hold the hose up so any remaining fluid doesn’t dribble out.  Put your elbow on and lower it over the dump hole.  Mike

Edited by Mike and Carol
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 11:34 AM, Mike and Carol said:

I agree with Frank on this.  The only dribble I can see would be if you unhooked your hose after you dump.  There is no need to do that - just leave it connected and cap it.  The next time you use it just hold the hose up so any remaining fluid doesn’t dribble out.  Put your elbow on and lower it over the dump hole.  Mike

THANK  YOU ALL!  We had another practice camping and followed your advice.  No more adding gates or extra valves etc...just leaving it hooked together.  (sometimes we look at each other do a face palm and say, "Thank goodness for the forum").   We are also pleased to have practiced tank flushing, getting a  setting up and taking down routine and mastering the whale tail.  So looking forward to May and the NOTT.

Zef and 00na

• Like 3