Locking diesel fuel cap for Ford F 250/Ram 2500

Patriot

After a rather lengthy scouring of the internet and Ford forums I found a small business in Kansas that makes custom locking diesel fuel caps crafted out of billet aluminum. They make them for 2500 Rams as well. I called the phone number on the fuel cap I saw on a members post in a Ford forum and placed my order for a cap and two keys. This company is small and do not advertise on line. They take over the phone orders only or at least they did for me.

I am not that concerned about someone stealing diesel fuel, rather the random act of vandalism of fuel contamination which will destroy most engines costing thousands to repair or replace. The machined aluminum cap has heft to it and very well made and seals excellent and locks on strong to the tank lip. If you loose the key, you had better have a backup key.
To my knowledge they only produce locking caps for diesel fuel vehicles. The gal that I placed my order with at BEM auto name is Nicole. Very nice and very professional and I would not hesitate to do business with her again. Like anything well made it does come at a cost - 1 cap, 2 keys (I added a spare) $67.00 shipped to my door in NC. I inquired about a locking DEF cap as well and they maybe producing those in the near future for the F250, I am on the list for a DEF cap if and when they produce one. They only ship UPS. 
If your interested in ordering or have further questions give them a call and naturally have year make and model of your handy. Made in the 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Happy Camping! 

Here are a few photos-

4F454744-68BA-42D1-BC95-8A139D5856D1.jpeg

4BE92CCF-202D-4244-8D1C-E0EC49691433.jpeg

B1815095-C37E-498A-A1B3-D0F8346BA11D.jpeg

keys-

A463369B-884B-437E-95B7-8C998B22EB2F.thumb.jpeg.f8388589f2a8071f7ee421feb02db70f.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 3
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

Does the fuel door open by hand, or must a remote release be operated? Is it possible for somebody to syphon out fuel with the factory setup ?

That cap is a nice piece of equipment and I think the price is more than reasonable. Even if it is never actually stops vandalism, it will make you sleep better. You have so many other things to worry about with a modern diesel ☹️

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

Does the fuel door open by hand, or must a remote release be operated? Is it possible for somebody to syphon out fuel with the factory setup ?

That cap is a nice piece of equipment and I think the price is more than reasonable. Even if it is never actually stops vandalism, it will make you sleep better. You have so many other things to worry about with a modern diesel ☹️

John Davies

Spokane WA

Sometimes it’s better to just keep right on scrolling. 😉 

• Like 4

IMG_2879.jpeg

1 hour ago, Patriot said:

Sometimes it’s better to just keep right on scrolling. 😉 

I don't get it. ??

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I have a 2020 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel. I contacted BEM at the number on Patriot's invoice, and was told that BEM sells their locking fuel and DEF caps through Genosgarage.com.

I just placed an online order for a locking fuel cap and locking DEF cap at Genosgarage.com. I called Genos to ask about keys, and was told that the keys are the same for both the fuel and DEF caps, with each cap coming with two keys. The fuel cap was $59.95, and DEF cap was $49.00, before tax and shipping.

Both products are currently backordered, with expected delivery in early April.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2021 Legacy Elite 2 Twin Bed | Hull Number 894 (9/16/21 delivery) | Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4 3.0L EcoDiesel 3.92 axleAZARCAIDMTNVNMORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderator+
4 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I don't get it. ??

John Davies

Spokane WA

I believe he's suggesting that since you don't tow with a diesel (as many of us do) you don't technically have a dog in this race.

Edited by ScubaRx
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

On 2/26/2021 at 3:40 PM, Fargoman said:

I have a 2020 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel. I contacted BEM at the number on Patriot's invoice, and was told that BEM sells their locking fuel and DEF caps through Genosgarage.com.

I just placed an online order for a locking fuel cap and locking DEF cap at Genosgarage.com. I called Genos to ask about keys, and was told that the keys are the same for both the fuel and DEF caps, with each cap coming with two keys. The fuel cap was $59.95, and DEF cap was $49.00, before tax and shipping.

Both products are currently backordered, with expected delivery in early April.

Fargoman, Glad you were able to locate a vendor for the Ram fuel cap and Def cap. I did not inquire about the availability of Ram caps when I placed my order. I did ask about a def cap for my F250 and was told it may go into production at some point. I feel sure they are a small factory. I was glad to purchase an American made product. As mentioned I am impressed with the fit and finish and quality for a machine piece. I think it will be worth your wait. 👍🏻

-Patriot

Edited by Patriot

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Good timing.

A locking fuel cap is good in low fuel availability times. I had one on my Maverick back in the day  ..

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

Good timing.

A locking fuel cap is good in low fuel availability times. I had one on my Maverick back in the day  ..

It doesn't pay enough! 

Diesel at $2.85 - jeesh - I would have get up off the sofa - find the correct "tools" to actually siphon the fuel - spend time watching a YouTube on how to actually do it correctly without setting myself on fire, and then figure out what to do with my newly stolen booty. It is too much work. 

Naw - I'm good - the Glock, the dog, and my SO - money to be funneled elsewhere. 

But of course - your situation may be different and thusly more better in choice for the matter at hand. A tautology of sorts

Oh I see - now! You reference a Maverick - the poor mans Cobra jet M - stang - I waste  my words - lock em if you got them...

RB

PS - I rode around - a lot - in a cool Maverick - no-not the western flyer version.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

Loved my Maverick. It was a somewhat puny engine,, but it got me out of a lot of snow banks in deep snow country,  rocking the three on the tree.  

And, a simple car to work on. Slick look for the times. I traded it for a plymouth Duster. 

I think my locking fuel cap , back in the day, was less than $20

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

But I thought that Maverick was nothing without Goose.  Or, was that something else?

In my experience, locking gas caps are much like "locking" anything else.  A person that REALLY wants your stuff is going to get it.  However, for the more casual thief it just might cause them to move on to an easier target.  And, it gives the owner a bit of peace of mind knowing that they have done something to help their cause.  In this regard, I recently installed front and rear "dash cameras" - at least I'll know what they looked like when they take my stuff. 

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

The gas thief  see’s the locking fuel cap, the next lock pick tool of choice is the ice pick driven through the bottom of the fuel tank.  They take what they can and the rest remains on the ground.  Locking fuel caps are great for piece of mind and as I always said which always sounds negative, if they want it they will get it. The way I look at it is what the cost of the damaged that will be caused versus  the cost of the replacement to the item taken.  Ive seen a lot of damage to vehicles back in the day. Some times they get what they want sometimes not, but the damage is extensive and costly. 

• Like 2

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

On 5/15/2021 at 9:57 AM, Landrover said:

The gas thief  see’s the locking fuel cap, the next lock pick tool of choice is the ice pick driven through the bottom of the fuel tank.  They take what they can and the rest remains on the ground.  Locking fuel caps are great for piece of mind and as I always said which always sounds negative, if they want it they will get it. The way I look at it is what the cost of the damaged that will be caused versus  the cost of the replacement to the item taken.  Ive seen a lot of damage to vehicles back in the day. Some times they get what they want sometimes not, but the damage is extensive and costly. 

A contaminated diesel fuel tank with a hole poked in it is a lot cheaper to replace than a contaminated fuel system and engine. Sadly there are bad actors out there who like easy targets for vandalism.
Just another point of view.
What’s interesting is a friend of mine who just purchased a new 2021 GMC 2500 gasser has no gas cap at all, just a fill port. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Patriot said:

What’s interesting is a friend of mine who just purchased a new 2021 GMC 2500 gasser has no gas cap at all, just a fill port. 

Yep - my 2017 F-150 has no gas cap either!  And, I'm still not a fan of that.  However, I found out the hard way that it is difficult to pour anything down that open hole given that in trying to pour some fuel injector down there it simply ran out to the pavement.  I THEN read the instructions that told me I needed to use the "special" funnel provided for such maneuvers.  Well, that worked, but, I sure didn't see much "special" about THAT funnel.🙄

Bill 

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"