Tank Monitor “sht” error code

SherMica,

I am assuming this is the first time you have had this problem.

I can only think of two things for you to check. 

- If you can get behind the SeeLevel monitor, try wiggling the wiring harness attached to the back of the monitor.

- Check to see if your are storing anything that is metallic, that could be touching one of the senders attached to the tanks.  The most likely place would be under the forward dinette seat.  People often store items under that seat.  The sender in attached to the side of the black tank, mounted under the toilet.  If something metallic is touching the sender, it could show a short.

Andrew 

• Like 2

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

The three tank monitors are wired - connected -  such that any one of them can cause an error code. In my case it was a loose connection on the black tank monitor -located in the port front access area- just behind the shower wall. If the connection is good at the black tank -You should also check at the grey tank and H2O locations - it may just be a semi bad connection that needs some love. You will need to use the hatch under the  starboard side front under the "bed"  cushions. The tanks are flat and a reach - but doable. I wiggled the connection - was not a visible indication - has worked fine ever since. The connection is a small wire that is soldered to what looks like a copper strip - running vertical on the tank - At least that is what my  2018 looks like.

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

22 hours ago, BackofBeyond said:

The three tank monitors are wired - connected -  such that any one of them can cause an error code. In my case it was a loose connection on the black tank monitor

I disconnected my black tank monitor when I removed the tank and it didn’t cause an error.  I’m pretty sure that I just unplugged it and tucked away the wire.  Possible that I clipped it, just don’t remember.  The only result is that I think the monitor says ‘open’ when I click the black tank button.

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Overland said:

I disconnected my black tank monitor when I removed the tank and it didn’t cause an error.  I’m pretty sure that I just unplugged it and tucked away the wire.  Possible that I clipped it, just don’t remember.  The only result is that I think the monitor says ‘open’ when I click the black tank button.

Mine says ‘open’ from time to time.  I just press again and it gives me the level.  

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Sheri has an Elite I, single axle, if that makes a difference for locations of wiring. I am learning from her issues as I pick up my Elite I in 16 days.

As things bounce around in a trailer, wiring and connections can come loose. I used to install mobile radios as my second job and for fun, so became used to properly installing electronics, connections and such. Not good to have a radio loose power, or an antenna connection come lose in an ambulance or fire truck. I can say that I have never had that occur. Aircraft electronics follow specific connection protocols to avoid such issues. Solder connections are not always the best - other systems are used in aircraft, depending upon issues. 

If wiggling a connection "fixes" the problem, the problem still exists, unless it was a loose conncector that was improved by the wiggle. But the error indicates a "short", which would not be a connection/connector issue. The connectors should be protected (again, emphasis on should) so nothing should come across the connectors/junctions to cause a short, or nothing should be in the area that could cause a short. If stranded wire was used, a stray wire that was not properly seated in the connector may have found its way to another connector. This would be at the back of the display panel, or at any factory made connection. The insulation on wiring may have been chafed or exposed, allowing the wiring to come in contact with another conductor. 

Or the error message occurs for issues other than a short.

Sheri has been out a couple of weeks since picking up the trailer. Simplest cause would be something conductive falling across two exposed connections along the black water circuit, or an insulation failure. Connectors at the back of the panel shouldn't cause a short, unless there was a stray conductor. This is still a part of the shake down cruise, finding what might have been missed at the factory prior to delivery. What came loose during that short time?

John

• Like 1

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

On 3/2/2021 at 7:51 PM, SherMica said:

John — They are sending someone out to fix this. It has NOT been a smooth experience in my one month of ownership. Honest review to follow. Somewhere. Probably not here. 

If it makes any difference, I am told that from now on they are not sending out new Oliies with tires at 90, but 55. Which is what I was told was about right by a licensed state inspector. I strongly suspect that the production rush, perhaps combined with the relatively few E1s being fabricated (as opposed to E2s), and the insane tire pressure (driving on concrete blocks, basically), created a perfect storm of unnecessary and avoidable issues. Perhaps not. I have no real way of knowing. YMMV (and I hope it does). I have a lot more to say about all this, but it won’t be here. Not to be the turd in anyone’s punchbowl but perhaps my experience may help others. Good luck.

I think that would be a shame.  Potential buyers come to this forum for information - both good and bad - about the Ollie experience.  I dare say most have had good experiences, but as your experience has been less than good - you should share that here. If you don't share here, where would you share that a future buyer would be likely to read?

Before I bought our previous motorhome, I wish I had researched the company and the model better via the owners forum (I didn't even know it existed).  I might have made the same decision, but would have gone into the purchase with eyes wide open and the benefit of the good and less than good experiences that owners had related.

Personally, I think you would be doing all of us and future owners a great service by sharing your experience with your Ollie and with OTT.

Edited by katanapilot
added bold text
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, katanapilot said:

Personally, I think you would be doing all of us and future owners a great service by sharing your experience with your Ollie and with OTT.

Couldn't agree more!  Hopefully as winter turns to spring and the weather turns nice you (SherMica) will find some humor in at least some of your experiences -- experiences from which the rest of us can learn.

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

I don’t see a lot of reviews here; and I do have the 2021 Elite 1 — likely quite different from E2s in many ways, and likely different from earlier years of Elite 1s and earlier models of either E1s or E2s. My E1 also has most every add-on package available. 

Edited by Moonlight Mile

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

Well that's unfortunate, but I understand.  The previous owners forum I belonged to was much the same -- if you posted a negative comment about your experience, you got pilloried by the fanboys and fangirls.  The issue was always "your fault" and you didn't "ask nicely enough" to get your issues resolved. 

I hope that's not the case here and so far, I have seen a fair mix of positive feedback and constructive criticism.  I think this is a forum that allows and encourages both, but maybe not...

I hope you will reconsider.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, SherMica said:

but do not feel all that comfortable reviewing here, as this is a *positive* space (branded by OTT). 

Oliver provides the platform (server, software, administrators) for the forum.  Forum content, guidelines, etc are managed by the moderators with no direction from Oliver.  We try to keep this a friendly place where there can be a free exchange of information.  Complaints and issues are not censored or removed.  Yes, there is a generally positive vibe, but that’s because folks are generally happy with their trailer.

1 hour ago, katanapilot said:

I hope that's not the case here and so far, I have seen a fair mix of positive feedback and constructive criticism.  I think this is a forum that allows and encourages both, but maybe not...

Positive feedback and constructive criticism are both welcome here.  Folks that have issues early on can find a lot of expertise here to help get them resolved quickly.  Moderators are also open to suggestions, criticism, etc.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I have been here over five years and I never felt that I could not post a less than rosy comment or thread, in fact I continue to be quite critical of a few factory design and build issues, ones that do not appear to be much improved year after year (and also of an occasional owner modification that I felt was dangerous or unsafe.) The Mods have never censored me.

Personal attacks or nasty comments OTH are never tolerated. There have been a very few unhappy new owners that go away and never return, leaving unanswered questions - “Where did he go???” I don’t think there is anything that can be done about it in any forum. I participate in many, and this by FAR is the only one that feels to me like close family. As it grows, I really hope that it stays that way. Thank you Members and especially thank you Mods!

FYI, after several horrific ownership experiences with boats and RVs, I swore I would never own another one. This forum convinced me to get “Mouse” and I have zero regrets about that investment. It is an excellent product, without a doubt the best RV for its price range, produced by a stellar company that prides itself on trying to make us all happy. Not everyone will be happy, but that IMHO is to be expected. 

John Davies 

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 6

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

"We typically don't send a mobile service as it is not covered under any of the multiple warrantees on the camper. Under normal circumstances a mobile service fee isn't covered and the Tank monitor system isn't covered under the Oliver warranty but rather through Garnet Industries who do not cover mobile service fees or labor charges for any repairs or replacements. many of the warrantees do not cover labor as well. There will be some items that may not be covered by Oliver. We will always assist and help you or locate a service center to help but not all fees are covered."

Edited by Moonlight Mile

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

Interesting there must be more to this story. When I picked up my 2019 LE2 I had several issues that I caught before ever leaving the parking lot. Two days camped in the parking lot, all issues were resolved.  While at David Crockett SP. two more problems all taken care of. They weren’t owner errors.  One month later several more warranty  issues. Oliver staff set me up with the closest dealer to me and all work was covered no charge.  Your warranty should cover all items for at least the first year on non Oliver items ac fridge etc. and Oliver’s warranty is covered for two years. Which is one of the best compared to others.  Unless this all changed.

• Like 2

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

2 hours ago, Landrover said:

Interesting there must be more to this story. When I picked up my 2019 LE2 I had several issues that I caught before ever leaving the parking lot. Two days camped in the parking lot, all issues were resolved.  While at David Crockett SP. two more problems all taken care of. They weren’t owner errors.  One month later several more warranty  issues. Oliver staff set me up with the closest dealer to me and all work was covered no charge.  Your warranty should cover all items for at least the first year on non Oliver items ac fridge etc. and Oliver’s warranty is covered for two years. Which is one of the best compared to others.  Unless this all changed.

I think the key wording is that using third party “mobile services” labor and fees for repairs aren’t covered, but if the Ollie is taken to an RV service center then labor usually is covered.   

Edited by FrankC
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, FrankC said:

I think the key wording is that using third party “mobile services” labor and fees for repairs aren’t covered, but if the Ollie is taken to an RV service center then labor usually is covered.   

OTH, I had a mobile tech come to inspect my inverter chassis (second) ground wire for the recall a couple of years ago, and Oliver sent me a check, no hassles. But for a safety recall, their policy is probably more lenient toward the owner.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

😩

As  Charles B often said - "Good Grief"

I remember a former "new" Oliver owner who shared on this forum, his many problems of initial Oliver ownership. He was not a happy customer, and after much back and forth, on this forum, and - as he stated - with Oliver - eventually - parted ways with his new Oliver.  Despite a somewhat irregular - ownership experience -and with many numerous posts -  I never observed any action -by anyone, Oliver included,  that attempted to alter, influence, or diminish the negative posts. As forum readers we see the  participants public comments and stated issues, but do not hear the other side of the story. Oliver's official  response is kept between the parties.  Thankfully we are spared the  "Yelp review - he said  - no -  she said"  - back and forth.   I am inclined to believe - at times - moderators, and other folks of influence, have given Oliver a heads up - or actually asked for clarification.  Us Oliver owners like to  believe the mothership is connected to this forum for both good and bad, happy and sad. I believe they are. It is just good business! If I am in error here - well Oliver is missing out. 

If a tree falls in the woods and there is no one there to observe the fall - did it happen? Quantum mechanics questions the validity.

If I was a disappointed, angry, or unsatisfied customer and I wished to share my experience, it would make sense to do so in a site that had participants who not only had an interest in the situation, but also had influence in the community. Rational people usually make rational decisions that lead to rational response. History shows Oliver to be more rational in customer concerns than most SOB's. 

However, regardless of where one shares the story - actual problem remediation can only be made through the customer/business problem resolution process.  In the end - Oliver is the final arbitrator - if the customer remains unsatisfied, none of us on this forum can remedy the situation. However, the majority of people on this forum are eager to help with suggestions and experience backed responses to aid all that ask. Family helping family.  I would not think to question the motives and integrity of this forum and it's participants - as my experience here indicates otherwise.  Overall it is a civil and positive place to share experiences and provide feedback. 

I am done here.  This thread to the dustbin of concern.

RB

• Thanks 2
  • Like 7

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201