Ollie Television/Radio Antenna

Carl Hansen

Greetings!

Newbie question here:  Does the Oliver Elite I come with a basic television/radio antenna or do I need to add something to my configuration to get basic reception?  I don't see anything in the "Entertainment Features" section about an antenna.  Do I need to add the Omni-Directional Antenna to get any reception?

Thanks!

Carl

2021 Legacy Elite I | "Lil' Tow" | Hull #924

Tow Vehicle: 2020 Jeep Gladiator

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

Not so "newbie" of a question.

Yes, there is a "standard" antenna.  Its usefulness is subject to where you will be using your Oliver.  Having said that - I believe that the standard antenna is not very good unless you are camped very near a transmission tower (i.e. a fairly large city).

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We chose to not add the Omni-directional antenna.  Aside from an occasional DVD movie when foul weather forces us indoors, we watch very little television while camping.  

With TV/movie streaming becoming more prevalent, I would question whether the Omni-directional antenna will be a very popular option in the future.  Without it, there is one less thing on the roof which leaves room to expand the solar capacity, if that is important to you.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

• Moderators

The only real advantage is the wiring is already run, should you decide you want a better antenna, and like watching broadcast TV.

I  did a lot if research on antenna models when we decided to remove our unused KingDome last year. I  decided to just stick with the small portable we stuck in the attic, as we never watch brodcast TV, anyway. We do stream Netflix or Amazon TV, occasionally, but usually on a tablet or phone, as we like different types of shows.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Carl Hansen said:

Can anyone comment on the performance of the Omni-directional antenna?  It seems a bit pricey but is it worth it?  Please share you experience with this antenna.  

Performance? - certainly it is better than the standard antenna and I believe that it is much better than the old "bat-wing" antennas that I used prior to getting my Oliver.  

Is it worth it? - Obviously that depends on how much broadcast TV you plan to watch which is (somewhat) a function on where you plan to camp.  Relative to the overall cost of the Oliver it is not that expensive, you don't have to raise and/or lower it, you don't have to turn it to find signal and it functions as your antenna for the radio too (weather band, FM and AM).  But, if you plan to not watch TV much and mostly boondock then and/or don't plan to travel long distances where you might be interested in seeing the local weather/news then virtually any antenna is too expensive.

Bill 

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I agree with topgun2 comments.

I think that the omni-directional antenna comes with a signal booster located in the attic (upper cabinet at the back of the trailer). I have a push button on the cable plate.

At my home,  I got zero channels with the booster switch off. Once I turned on the booster the signal improved so that I got 6 or 7 channels.

Edited by dewdev
  • Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators

"Boosters" typically require 110 hookup, which we normally don't have.

Another reason streaming is more efficient for us. If we have signal. If not, downloaded movies, or dvds, work well.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks for all the feedback!!! I probably will stay with the standard antenna. We don’t watch that much network tv. We currently stream much of our content. We will probably stay with that model. 

2021 Legacy Elite I | "Lil' Tow" | Hull #924

Tow Vehicle: 2020 Jeep Gladiator

• Moderators

Since everything changes,  year to year, you may want to ask your rep if any antenna , and wiring, is included in the base package .

Just a thought. 

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4