Are you getting ready for camping season?

SeaDawg

• Moderators

Paul and I  have done a lot of work on both the Oliver and the boat this winter.

We looked at the calendar,  and realized we're just a few (6?) weeks out from the beginning of our usual camping season.

We still have to install new ac, sort camping gear, get fogged  windows repaired.  Wash , clean, and wax the trailer.

Time is getting short. At least, at the rate we work these days.

Are you ready? What's on your list?

Oh, and we are soooo ready to pull the trailer out of the sideyard.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We are so ready to go.  All the camping gear is already sorted.  It’ll be a few weeks yet till we hit the road though.   The trailer was washed and waxed before being put under cover for winter, so all we need to do is to de-winterize and get everything loaded up.  First destination will be Hohenwald for the annual 12 month checkup and maintenance on the Ollie and then hitting the road after that.   This is pretty much the sad way it’s looked for most of the winter.  

07CFEA61-FBD1-46BB-A4B1-8905FE74EF15.jpeg

Edited by FrankC
  • Like 1

I hate to say it, living in Southern California, our camping season lasts 365 days a year.

October - Lassen Volcanic National Park, CA

November - Alabama Hills outside of Lone Pine, CA

January - Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, AZ

February - Zion National Park, UT

March - Will be Organ Pipe again

Don't hate the Camper, hate the weather!

Wishing you all the most wonder and safe camping season ever!

Andrew

• Like 3

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

What a great topic and yes! 👍🏻👍🏻
We are chomping at the bit as they say in the equestrian world ready to go. We are already watching temps and ready to de-winterize Ollie. I am planning on replacing our Ollies rubber valve stems with (5) steel stems I ordered  from etrailer. I also plan to replace and install the black window seals and clean window track as needed.
Other than normal maintenance and visually inspecting our Ollies caulking and a full systems check, everything is a go, and we are ready! 
Happy Camping Season!

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Are you ready? What's on your list?

We just got back from Arkansas and eastern Texas, in time to batten down for the arctic blast that hit Texas.  I’ve got some maintenance do to in March then April we head to KY, TN then the non rally in AL.  July we’ll be in Colorado, Durango, Silverton, Ouray and Telluride, then over to Sylvan State Park north of Aspen.  Trying to decide whether to go east or west in Sept and Oct.  Mike

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Yes, just took the cover off this week as we hosted a "Oliver Visit" today.

Got her all cleaned up inside and out looked great because it was under the cover all winter.

We sanitized the fresh tanks and flushed it twice.

Also learned a quick way to "drain" the fresh tank is to open up Truma water dump spigot in addition to the lower tank drain and turn on the pump.
It quickly evacuated down to 6% of water then I shut off the pump and let it dribble over night.

We're prepping for a set of trips soon.

Best wishes for a safe, healthy and fun camping season.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

We are so ready to hit the road.  We're doing a shakedown trip to Big Bend at the end of the month then going to Colorado to play golf in April, with a side trip to Bears Ears.  We covered the Ollie with a clear tarp over the winter and the solar panels kept a charge, so that's reassuring.  For now, we're just happy to plan for these two short trips, but look forward to longer trips this year.  Possibly Novia Scotia and Maine to see friends.  We can't wait and hope you all have a wonderful year out there!  

• Like 3

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

Going to replace Ollie's tires. The furnace outlet vent hose became disconnected under the sink in the bath. After installing tires & reconnecting the hose, Ollie will be ready to go!

I'm so ready! It's been a long winter. (Even though we live in Florida. )

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

July we’ll be in Colorado, Durango, Silverton, Ouray and Telluride, then over to Sylvan State Park north of Aspen.

Telluride has a nice city park .  I don't remember having any hookups, but it was close to town. Small, maybe 20 or so  sites? 

Don't miss Molas Lake, outside Silverton.  It's so beautiful!

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

In Ouray, we stayed at 4j +1. It's really close to town. Walking distance to lots of things. Very clean gravel sites. Nice laundry. Really nice owners. We don't often stay in rv parks, but the state park near town was closed  

Deer every night on the hill behind our site .  It was a very pleasant experience,  except for the lack of grass, and lots of cottonwood stickers in the late spring . 

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Our first trip is the first week of June just 50 miles away on the coast of Maine.  It will likely be chilly and probably black fly season.  We put the trailer away in the barn washed and waxed.  We will just need  to dewinterize, try all of the systems, and load up.  We usually plan to head south in January every year but with covid we chose to stay home this winter.  It felt right for us.  

We checked on the Ollie today as we are showing the trailer tomorrow to some folks that are thinking of ordering a new Elite Ii.  "Beacon" was in great shape and ready for viewing tomorrow.

• Like 2

Tomorrow we head from Florida to California.. then from California to Maine in a month or so.. if the border opens up this summer we will celebrate by going to Newfoundland.. seems like I perpetually getting ready for camping season🙂

• Like 3

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

• Moderators
10 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

We don't often stay in rv parks, but the state park near town was closed  

We don’t either.  We’ll be staying in the state park to see Ouray, Silverton and the area.  We’ve got reservations in a couple of other state parks as well as USFS campgrounds.  Otherwise, it will be no-reservation USFS and BLM.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

6 hours ago, Mcb said:

Tomorrow we head from Florida to California.. then from California to Maine in a month or so.. if the border opens up this summer we will celebrate by going to Newfoundland.. seems like I perpetually getting ready for camping season🙂

Awesome!! What a great trip planned. Wishing you safe travels and miles of smiles! 👍🏻

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

17 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

We just got back from Arkansas and eastern Texas, in time to batten down for the arctic blast that hit Texas.  I’ve got some maintenance do to in March then April we head to KY, TN then the non rally in AL.  July we’ll be in Colorado, Durango, Silverton, Ouray and Telluride, then over to Sylvan State Park north of Aspen.  Trying to decide whether to go east or west in Sept and Oct.  Mike

West, where Sept and October is some of the best camping weather.   We'll be on the lookout for you 😁

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

We’ll be staying in the state park to see Ouray, Silverton and the area.

I really do not have first hand knowledge regarding this particular Colorado State Park, but the ones that I am familiar with not only charge a fee for your camping but they charge an additional fee for your tow vehicle.  Add to this the quarters you have to feed the shower machine if you chose to use the bath house.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I really do not have first hand knowledge regarding this particular Colorado State Park, but the ones that I am familiar with not only charge a fee for your camping but they charge an additional fee for your tow vehicle.

It gets good reviews.  We get an annual park pass.  With our son and family in Durango we’ve been going to CO more often.

• Like 1

Come May - More time planned for Utah, CO, and AZ. Less driving - more staying is this years goal. Come Dec - life turns around. Seasons of year will not matter!

RB

• Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

I really do not have first hand knowledge regarding this particular Colorado State Park, but the ones that I am familiar with not only charge a fee for your camping but they charge an additional fee for your tow vehicle.  Add to this the quarters you have to feed the shower machine if you chose to use the bath house.

Bill

I can confirm that the state park north of Ouray has daily site fees, vehicle fees, and coin operated showers.  We stayed there for a week during the summer of 2019 while attending a Land Cruiser event based out of Ouray.  This is a photo of the view out of our Oliver door.  

7E940574-6FB8-48CA-9786-4ADB802D4D04.jpeg

Edited by KenB
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So, most projects are complete. Last big two left: take the Oliver in next week to get the two fogged windows repaired in Hudson, and then, restock and reset the empty camper.

I'm starting the reset with the cupboards, as in paper, plastics, cleaning supplies. I'll wait on the rest til the Oliver is back home.

Sailing season is almost over. Let the camping begin!

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

We are pulling "2 Hobos" out of the barn (Hobo Hideout) at the end of April and will head south from VA.  Stops include: Charlotte, NC to visit some friends.  Beaufort, SC (my hometown) for a few days.  Then on to Jekyll Island, GA to just to hang out on the beach.  Next: St. Augustine, FL for five days of bouncing around FL to visit old haunts and some friends.  After that we move up towards AL for the unofficial owner's rally with a stop along the way at a HH overnighter.  We'll be at Lake Guntersville for four days and then head back to VA with another stop along the way at another HH location.

Currently, I'm in the barn installing propane gas monitors, greasing the axles, checking tire lugs torque, etc.  Next week I roll it out and dewinterize it wash it, then put it back in to wax and detail.  Donna already has most of the camping cloths, seasonal decor, etc. in the trailer.  We're anxious to get back on the road.  We have had both of our Covid shots (completed 22 Feb).  Big trip in the fall will be planned around a wedding in Nebraska so we'll be looking for suggestions of places to stay and see along the way from VA.  We'll probably head west for a while either before or after the wedding.  Probably end up in Wyoming/Montana area before turning back east.

Edited by hobo
  • Like 2

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators

We’re heading out in a few weeks for KY, TN, AL and AR.  We’re going to do some Bourbon trail touring.  We’ll be home a few weeks in June the will be in Colorado the month of July.  Our COVID shots are done as well.  As far as I’m concerned we’re back to normal.  Mike

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Moderators

One more tiny project before we take the trailer to Hudson on Monday is complete.

While I was checking the thermocouples, and  cleaning and polishing the stainless SMEV cooktop yesterday (I  like Ceramabryte stainless polish), I  noticed the spiders/grates were getting some rust spots on the underside.

I  braved the holiday traffic to get some odd size nuts and bolts for Paul at Ace today, and picked up some high heat spray paint. While I  was gone, Paul prepped the spiders for paint.

It's matte, instead of the original glossy, but I kind of prefer the look--like super skinny wrought iron. 

Should help keep the old SMEV in good shape for a number of years. (I'll work on the little bits of rust on the hinges this summer on a rainy day. White vinegar is really good to loosen surface rust, I've found.)

20210403_142143.jpg

20210403_142151.jpg

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

Not sure i would do this again. I'm thinking the waste from burning the paint may have clogged my jet. We'll see.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4