Tundra Sway Control Requirement

LongStride

We have a 2020 Tundra Limited Double Cab TRD 4x4 with factory tow package and 38 gallon fuel tank.  It has a tow rating of 9100 lbs. which is the lowest rating for the model year due to the off-road suspension and increased fuel capacity.   

We will be accepting delivery of our Elite l in early June.  If we max out the 5000 lb. GVWR of the Elite, the Tundra should handle it easily.  Even with a full water tank, partial waste tanks, and full LP bottles I doubt we would ever reach 5000 lbs. unless we loaded it with cinder blocks.  We pack light anyway.

We were going to get the Anderson WDH simply to satisfy the requirements of the Tundra Owners Manual which states that "a sway control device of sufficient capacity" must be used when towing a trailer in excess of 2000 lbs.  

I think that the Tundra will tow the Elite without issue, and I don't want to have to fuss with a WDH when I hit the two-track roads.  I contacted Toyota and specifically asked if the built in Toyota Electronic Sway Control satisfied the requirement of "a sway control device of sufficient capacity".  

Their response: "We have researched your Tundra VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, and determined that it has all the necessary components installed to safely tow 9900 lbs. with the standard fuel tank or 9100 lbs. with the large 38 gallon fuel tank."

I need to finalize our options next Tuesday, and I will not be getting the Anderson.  I have documentation of Toyota's response to my query and it is on file at Toyota USA Headquarters.  I will also give a copy to my insurance agent.

I wanted to share this with others that were concerned about liability issues concerning sway control requirements of the Tundra.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 4

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

LongStride,

Your Tundra will handle a single axle Ollie without a Anderson WDH without issues. 

After reading the same section in the 2016 Toyota Tundra's Operators manual, had the same concerns as you.

This is my understanding of their operators manual and only my humble opinion:

A trailer sway device is needed for trailers over 2000 pounds and something like the Hayes Swaymaster electronic sway control device will work mounted on the trailer unless a WDH is used, Have installation photos on an Ollie, if needed. The SwayMaster activates trailer brakes when a sway event is detected.

• Like 3

LE2

Thanks for your input fellas.

I can not find anywhere a written tongue weight rating from Toyota.  As I interpret their literature, as long as you don't exceed the GVWR when including your TW, and don't exceed the rear axle rating on scales; you are good.  Obviously you can't exceed the rating for a class lV hitch either.

I was also contemplating a SwayMaster to satisfy the requirement.  I figured that if I had to have a device to be legal, that I might go that route rather than the Anderson.  Now that I have it in writing from Toyota that I am already fully equipped to tow safely without adding supplemental sway control, I am (should be) golden.

Apparently Toyota is of the opinion that their electronic sway control will do the job.  My truck is equipped with it and it operates on the same principal as the SwayMaster.  I would guess that the Hayes unit may do a better job, but my research indicates that Elite l units don't have problems with sway anyway.

• Like 3

Mike and Yasuko

On 2/27/2021 at 5:49 PM, LongStride said:

We have a 2020 Tundra Limited Double Cab TRD 4x4 with factory tow package and 38 gallon fuel tank.  It has a tow rating of 9100 lbs. which is the lowest rating for the model year due to the off-road suspension and increased fuel capacity.   

We will be accepting delivery of our Elite l in early June.  If we max out the 5000 lb. GVWR of the Elite, the Tundra should handle it easily.  Even with a full water tank, partial waste tanks, and full LP bottles I doubt we would ever reach 5000 lbs. unless we loaded it with cinder blocks.  We pack light anyway.

We were going to get the Anderson WDH simply to satisfy the requirements of the Tundra Owners Manual which states that "a sway control device of sufficient capacity" must be used when towing a trailer in excess of 2000 lbs.  

I think that the Tundra will tow the Elite without issue, and I don't want to have to fuss with a WDH when I hit the two-track roads.  I contacted Toyota and specifically asked if the built in Toyota Electronic Sway Control satisfied the requirement of "a sway control device of sufficient capacity".  

Their response: "We have researched your Tundra VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, and determined that it has all the necessary components installed to safely tow 9900 lbs. with the standard fuel tank or 9100 lbs. with the large 38 gallon fuel tank."

I need to finalize our options next Tuesday, and I will not be getting the Anderson.  I have documentation of Toyota's response to my query and it is on file at Toyota USA Headquarters.  I will also give a copy to my insurance agent.

I wanted to share this with others that were concerned about liability issues concerning sway control requirements of the Tundra.

You will be fine. Go enjoy your new addition to the family. 

Your modern Toyota is well situated to tow an EI. 

RB

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

A Tundra should not have any issues towing a single axle Ollie without WDH or trailer mounted sway control.

We probably have one of the lightest LE2 Ollies @ 4900 to 4950 pounds ready to camp with tongue weight under 500 pounds, empty tanks and it will be getting even lighter after installing Lithium batteries.  Found the 2016 Tundra to handle the LE2 easily without WDH with the highest mileage day around 720 miles.

Our Ollie has trailer mounted electronic Sway Control and it has activated at least two times applying trailer brakes after coming down a mountain when halfway through curves. It was my fault because I was towing too fast. When the trailer mounted sway control activated I could feel the trailer brakes applying.

When we purchased our new 2016 Tundra, also had concerns about legally complying with Tundra's operators manual for sway control just like LongStride. (Forgot about this piece of research in my previous post) Found this 2010 Tundra forum thread about  Tundra's sway control from a Toyota training manual. This is why I installed a trailer mounted sway control. From LongStride's recent communications with Toyota, they have changed their position from the 2010 thread.

https://www.tundratalk.net/threads/trailer-sway-control.85902/

From the above thread link:

"Week 54: Trailer sway control

Customers need to know that a truck equipped with electronic trailer sway control is not a substitute for traditional mechanical sway control designed for the trailer".

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 1

LE2

Coach and JoJo,

I am sorry but I do not have a contact number for Toyota.  

I think that I may have used a link in the Toyota Owners App on my phone to contact them.  I don't really remember.  I am leaning in the direction of the app because they knew my VIN number (and I did not provide it).  

I suggest that you contact Toyota Customer Service to ask about your particular vehicle.  

I had read the tundra talk thread that rideandfly provided a link to while I was doing my research.  I read many others on the subject as well.  I contacted Toyota because I wanted a definitive answer straight from the horses mouth.

I suspect that the Toyota electronic sway control feature has improved a bit in the past eleven years.  Technology moves fast anymore.

• Like 2

Mike and Yasuko