Trojan AGM Replacement

We finally made the trip to storage to check the trailer (after 10 weeks) and found dead batteries.  We've had them tested and all 4 are toast so now we need replacements.  Lithiums are not a player at this time for us but we want to know if the Trojans AGM are the best option or is there a better choice?  Since we don't want to go thru this again what is best practice when storing for longer than a month?  Disconnect them, cut off switch of some sort, etc....  There has to be something better than bring them home.

• Care 1

• Moderators

Wow, sorry to hear that..

Av8wife, does your Oliver have solar? Is your trailer in open or covered storage? And, in what part of the country (climate zone) are you located.

If I remember correctly,  you just got a pre-loved trailer last year? What year is your Ollie? Elite II, right, since you have 4 batteries.

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

4 hours ago, av8wife said:

Lithiums are not a player at this time for us but we want to know if the Trojans AGM are the best option or is there a better choice?  S

Sorry to hear about the problem. Are the existing (dead) batteries you are replacing AGMs? Or wet cell lead acid?  I have a 4x12volt wet cell lead acid battery setup in my Ollie (offered as an option at the time) and they have been great, but I’m considering going to 4x12volt AGMs, like the Optima brand batteries, when the lead acid ones eventually need replaced.   Optima makes 12 volt AGMs in the standard automobile car battery size package but listed by Optima as RV batteries, so they would fit the same as the 4 lead acid batteries I have now.   Maybe lithiums but I’m having a hard time justifying that expense.   

And if you’re storing outside but in a fairly safe, secure area, if you don’t already have the factory solar (assuming you don’t since your batteries died) then you can use a portable solar panel to maintain battery charge.   I have a ZAMP 140 watt portable panel with integrated charge controller that I hook up with a 7 pin adapter to the Ollie 7 pin pigtail.   Works great for charging and maintaining the batteries.   If you’re storing indoors with no shore power AC connection, then I know there are a few owners that have a cutoff switch added right at the batteries to eliminate the parasitic current draw from the Ollie accessories.   But 10 weeks is still a pretty long time, especially in cold weather, for a battery to sit. 

E54323A1-6454-454E-9608-D4EA38B0E2B4.jpeg

Edited by FrankC
  • Like 1

You are correct SeaDawg that we have a 2018 LEII that was pre-loved and unfortunately it did not come with solar, although we intend to rectify that in the future.  We live in VA and keep it stored under cover at a secure facility with no access to electricity.

Frank C we are replacing AGM batteries

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FrankC said:

Sorry to hear about the problem. Are the existing (dead) batteries you are replacing AGMs? Or wet cell lead acid?  I have a 4x12volt wet cell lead acid battery setup in my Ollie (offered as an option at the time) and they have been great, but I’m considering going to 4x12volt AGMs, like the Optima brand batteries, when the lead acid ones eventually need replaced.   Optima makes 12 volt AGMs in the standard automobile car battery size package but listed by Optima as RV batteries, so they would fit the same as the 4 lead acid batteries I have now.   Maybe lithiums but I’m having a hard time justifying that expense.   

And if you’re storing outside but in a fairly safe, secure area, if you don’t already have the factory solar (assuming you don’t since your batteries died) then you can use a portable solar panel to maintain battery charge.   I have a ZAMP 140 watt portable panel with integrated charge controller that I hook up with a 7 pin adapter to the Ollie 7 pin pigtail.   Works great for charging and maintaining the batteries.   If you’re storing indoors with no shore power AC connection, then I know there are a few owners that have a cutoff switch added right at the batteries to eliminate the parasitic current draw from the Ollie accessories.   But 10 weeks is still a pretty long time, especially in cold weather, for a battery to sit. 

E54323A1-6454-454E-9608-D4EA38B0E2B4.jpeg

I like your solar setup and would like to do something similar since we don't have solar installed.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I'm not that familiar with your model and features,  but if you don't have a battery disconnect,  you should get one. Others with your model and year will offer better suggestions,  I'm sure. Agms, fully charged, and in good health, should survive 10 weeks storage on self-discharge, imo, in your zone, if no phantom load.

There's another thread going on storage under cover that you might find helpful.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, av8wife said:

You are correct SeaDawg that we have a 2018 LEII that was pre-loved and unfortunately it did not come with solar, although we intend to rectify that in the future.  We live in VA and keep it stored under cover at a secure facility with no access to electricity.

Frank C we are replacing AGM batteries

Where in Virginia do you live?  Our 2015 LEII does not have solar or did we want it when we ordered the trailer from Oliver.  However we did get the four Trojan Wet Cell batteries, so far they are doing great; when it time to replace them it will probably be with the same Trojan Wet Cells or AGM.  Our trailer is kept out the house under a car port; and we have a 30 amp electrical connection for the trailer, so no issue with charging the batteries.

I have been pulling travel trailers all over the USA for years, we stay about 70% of the time in campgrounds with hookups; the other 30% is in National Parks without hookups.  We have never had a problem maintaining a charge on the batteries without hookups and no solar.

Good luck with your battery replacements.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

The propane CO detector and other parasite drains are the issue. You can unhook the batteries but a shut off switch would be better. Still you will be shorting the life of any battery to leave it sitting for long periods. As stated above a small portable solar will keep the batters charged.  Unfortunately if solar is not a option in your storage then bring them home. Keep them in the relative warmth of a garage and use trickle chargers. 

• Like 1

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

Asking for myself...

If you pull your batteries and bring them home, do you put them on wood (Work Bench or 2x4's) or just on the garage floor.  I have heard from some that leaving on garage floor has no adverse effect on them.  Others have told me “insulate them from the “Earth”.

What is the “Life Experience” of the forum members on this?

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• Moderators

In the "old" days when batteries were not as "sealed" as they are now, it was advisable to place them on wood versus a concrete floor.  Even though that is no longer the case, I still do it - why not?

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Old batteries, meaning really really really old ones, were made with glass cells inside a wood box! If placed on a damp floor, the wood could absorb water, swell and break the cells. Later they used steel, which conducts. A plastic cased wet cell or AGM or lithium battery does not have this rather serious design flaw. Concrete is fine for very short term storage, such as under the frame where it is out of the way while cleaning the tray or fixing a cable. But if a plastic cased battery leaks, the acid will definitely etch and damage the floor. 

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2017/02/storing-car-battery-concrete-floor-drain/

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

av8wife,

We also have decided to replace our AGM batteries. While this option does not have all the benefits of Lithium it appears to be easier for me in terms of plug-and-play and cost for my 2015 (#104) Ollie.  I purchased four Bright Way Group EVGC6 - 6V 220AH Deep Cycle Golf Cart Batteries (see attached spec sheet) from batterywholesale.com which is owned by Bright Way Group. The Bright Way AGM's have the same foot print of the Trojan T-105's and are currently what OTT installs as their  AGM option.  Total cost for me was $994.65 which included a 10% discount (look for pop-up while on site) and LTL delivery.  I am currently waiting on the batteries due to the weather issues in the mid-west.  The batteries ship out of the Dallas area and I hope to have them next week.  I will update after installation.

BWG_Spec_Sheet_BW EVGC-220A-AM Final.pdf

• Like 2

Walter & Rebecca| 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II | Hull #104 | "SoGo" | Nissan Titan SL 5.6L w/ Tow Package

ALAZCOIDIAKSKYLAMIMSMOMTNENVNMOHSDTNTXUT

• Moderators

Have any of you tried any other brands of AGMs? We have been quite happy with the Intimidator agm (Deka/East Penn) marine deep cycle 12v batteries we've had in our Elite for the last 4 or 5 years. 

I saw the Duracell agm 6v gc2 batteries on the samsclub site for $179 each. (They have 30 fewer amp hours at 20 hr. rate than the Brightways), but they're also manufactured by East Penn.

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Hi SeaDawg,

I have not tried any others beyond the original Trojan T-105s.  This will be my first replacement.  I will let you know how it goes.  

Walter & Rebecca| 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II | Hull #104 | "SoGo" | Nissan Titan SL 5.6L w/ Tow Package

ALAZCOIDIAKSKYLAMIMSMOMTNENVNMOHSDTNTXUT

We have (2) Lifeline GPL-4CT 6V 220Ah AGMs in our 2018 Elite-I. This is what Oliver was using with the Solar option late in 2018. At the risk of tempting fate they've performed well so far, although its only been 2 years.

• Thanks 1

Tom & Holly

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite I #409 - 2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3L Gas, 4x4 Z71, Dbl Cab, Std Bed

2023-10-16OliverCampedStates(medium).jpg.8e9964c26c7927a0077806565b9dcfc2.jpg

On 3/6/2021 at 12:21 PM, SeaDawg said:

I saw the Duracell agm 6v gc2 batteries on the samsclub site for $179 each. (They have 30 fewer amp hours at 20 hr. rate than the Brightways), but they're also manufactured by East Penn.

We're happy with the Duracell 12V AGM Marine/RV group 27 batteries from Sam's for the past two years. Already have another job for the Duracells to be replaced with lithium.

• Thanks 1

LE2