Dodge durango for a legacy II

Which engine?

1E5570A4-268B-4204-9B24-FAE8AC9E8F55.thumb.jpeg.ebc3150dfda1aa2e4eb545ff17550fa8.jpeg

IMHO an SRT would be great, the 6.4 is quite a beast, and that model has a very good payload. The 5.7 would be marginal, due to its inadequate payload, the V6...... well, no.

Welcome to the forum.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

As John said, the 5.7 looks ok for towing but a little marginal for payload.  And check the actual cargo/payload sticker on your Durango.  It’ll usually be on the driver’s door jamb.  The payload varies based on how your Durango is optioned.  Everyone tends to look at towing rating, but cargo/payload is the overlooked limiting factor for most people towing with SUVs or even 1/2 ton pickup trucks.  The tongue weight of the Oliver (500 to 600 lbs. depending on Oliver options), driver and passenger weight (and be honest 🙂), luggage, camping gear, a toolbox, a cooler, etc. put in or on the tow vehicle all count towards the payload limit.  Even the weight of the Andersen hitch has to be counted (about 50 lbs.).  Your sticker will tell you your specific limit.  It’ll look something like this with a max cargo / payload number.  This is my F-250.  3,334 lbs payload.  We carry a lot of stuff when camping, so we are probably around 2,000 lbs. when traveling.  I like to have a nice safety margin.  

475FE6D2-AF20-4958-9624-7B40AA33B057.jpeg

Edited by FrankC

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, FrankC said:

I like to have a nice safety margin.

The old "rule of thumb" was to have a minimum of a 20% safety margin.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I don't know if @Commanche still tows with his Durango 5.7 hemi, or not. Haven't seen him in several years. He was quite happy with it then.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Where you tow also is very important, you can get by with a less capable tow vehicle if you never get into really strenuous conditions. Somebody who never left Florida might find the V6 to be acceptable, but the first steep mountain grade would reveal how very bad a choice it is, plus that engine has to be revved really high, the peak torque is at about 4000 rpm. A screaming engine is hard on the passengers nerves..... the 5.7 is perfectly fine for power, you just won’t be able to carry very much of your “stuff”, especially if there are more than two normal sized people. If there are four adults, then you won’t be able to bring ANY gear inside it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

I don't know if @Commanche still tows with his Durango 5.7 hemi, or not. Haven't seen him in several years. He was quite happy with it then.

The last I saw him - in 2020 - he was still happy with his Durango.  A PM (private message) might be in order even though Commanche's Dodge is a bit older.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I sent Donna a PM, and yes still love my Durango, taking my first long trip to Florida this week as a loner, be really missing my late wife  Carol and  my late dog Gunner. 

• Care 4
  • Sad 3

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderators

Stan - 

So sorry to hear about your loss(es).  You might remember that Gunner was the first Oliver owning pup that we met as new Ollie owners.  He was also a great help in keeping the armadillos at bay!

Bill

P1000808.JPG