Campgrounds near Mt Rushmore/Custer State Park

TexasGuy

I will be headed to Mt Rushmore in July with my son for the first long trip after shakedown trip in May.  Any suggestions on campgrounds?  I’ve got several state run campgrounds on my list in Custer State Park.   Reservations for our dates open in  April.  The National Forest Service also looks to have lots of options but none with electricity.  

While boondocking is on my list eventually I’d prefer to at least have electricity and water for my first big trip.   One less thing to worry about. 

TIA 

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

I can’t advise about Rushmore, except to say it is usually insanely crowded in warm weather. I suggest that you continue north to the Roosevelt NP area. https://www.beyondthetent.com/camping-in-theodore-roosevelt-national-park/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We ended up at a commercial place  - first one just above the hot temps. I can't remember the name. Was just ok. We had come across SD from the east - it was about 100 in the flat expanse of the big straight multi lane I State. Any port in a storm that day! Look at Campendium - lot a possibilities.

Happy Trails.

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

We liked Custer State Park. Don't remember if we had an electric site or not. It was fairly close to the wildlife loop, which was great at dusk.

Teddy Roosevelt is awesome, and a very different view of the Badlands, but you'll want to stay close to Rushmore,  for that, I'd think. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

4 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

We liked Custer State Park. Don't remember if we had an electric site or not. It was fairly close to the wildlife loop, which was great at dusk.

Teddy Roosevelt is awesome, and a very different view of the Badlands, but you'll want to stay close to Rushmore,  for that, I'd think. 

+1 on Custer State Park! We had a Game Lodge electric campsite, close to the wildlife loop, saw many buffalo.

Sylvan Lake is close and nice place for a walk:

i-G4g9Rh2-L.jpg

Badlands:

i-fk9ZpZJ-L.jpg

Custer State Park:

i-t9mSvmX-L.jpg

Edited by rideandfly
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

LE2

8 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

+1 on Custer State Park! We had a Game Lodge electric campsite, close to the wildlife loop, saw many buffalo.

Sylvan Lake is close and nice place for a walk:

i-G4g9Rh2-L.jpg

Badlands:

i-fk9ZpZJ-L.jpg

Custer State Park:

i-t9mSvmX-L.jpg

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.  

• Like 1

I will have to add Roosevelt NP to my list.  To be honest had not heard about it, so thanks for that.  

I’m not looking forward to crowds but that is where son wants to go and I’m just glad he is still up for these trips!   We rented class B for Oregon trip last summer and had the best time.  Plus South Dakota is one of 4 states I haven’t visited before.

• Moderators

Don't skip the Dakotas, and their unique beauty.  

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

4 hours ago, TexasGuy said:

I will have to add Roosevelt NP to my list.  To be honest had not heard about it, so thanks for that.  

I’m not looking forward to crowds but that is where son wants to go and I’m just glad he is still up for these trips!   We rented class B for Oregon trip last summer and had the best time.  Plus South Dakota is one of 4 states I haven’t visited before.

Custer SP Needles Eye:

i-Cm5s7GZ-XL.jpg

When you're at Custer SP, Devil's Tower WY is not too far away and they have Federal and KOA campgrounds:

i-qVnHqtv-L.jpg

• Like 1

LE2

I’ve been out to the Black Hills area several times with an RV and a tent.  The closer you get to Mount Rushmore, the more valuable campsites become.  If you’re planning on staying in the Hill CIty or Keystone area and want an electric site, it’s going to be in a privately owned park with sites shoulder to shoulder.  It’s going to be expensive and its going to be crowded.  Just accept that given.

If you don’t want electricity, or you’re willing to drive from further away, things open up.  Angostura Reservoir is a BIG campground to the south.  We practically had the whole place to ourselves one time.  Unfortunately its a long drive to everywhere.  Not much shade, but you can get an electric site.  Pactola Reservoir had some nice sites, but most were in the trees and would be tough if you were expecting to run solar.  I don’t think there were electric sites.  Spearfish Campground is at the north end of the Hills and is run by the city.  A trout stream runs through it along with a historic trout hatchery.  Walking distance to  restaurants.  If I’m going to camp near others, this campground was a good compromise for me.  No input on Custer State Park other than plan ahead.  I wasn’t able to ever snag a reservation.

The Black Hills in July is a busy area.  Highly consider a reservation.  Take your time, there is lots to see.  And everything is spread out.   Twice I’ve made the mistake of putting too much drive time into the trip.  The roads are twisty and herds of buffalo take their time blocking roads.

HTH, Ken

• Thanks 1

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

I second the recommendation to TRNP,

There is a North Unit & a South Unit of the Theodore Roosevelt NP, in ND.  The North & South Units have primitive sites, which I believe are all pull thru.  i know the North Unit has a dump station. There are some great hiking trails, with spectacular geological formations and lots of wildlife. 

The south unit is more developed; it has the town of Medora in it.  If you are interested in a “Western Theme” you will enjoy it.  And If you are into it, the Medora Musical is a great show.  There is a "Pitch Fork" Fondue, not to be missed. You can Camp at the South Unit, Hike, View the Wildlife, and if you want excitement, go into Medora.

The North & South Units are accessed by completely different roads.  the only way to get from one to another is over the Maah Daah Hey (Mountain Bike) Trail.  if you want to do this, read up on it.  it is rated difficult.  but you do not have to try it all at one time.

Do not take selfies with the BUFFALO, they are NOT POSERS...  

Edited by SNY SD UP
forgot something, i never remember all the first time...
  • Like 3

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg