TorkLift Propane Tank Fortress Gas lock review (securing your propane tanks)

Patriot

I am considering this mod to help add a little more security to our propane tanks on our Ollie. The TorkLift lock has been around for awhile. Is anyone using anything different or more robust? Recently I have read on other RV/camping forums that there is a little up tick in propane tank theft grrr! 
It seems like a decent cable lock would slow a thief down or maybe force them to move onto a less time consuming or easier target. This lock appears like another possibility.  I need to check our Ollies tank mount thread size 3/8 or 1/2”? 
Thoughts, suggestions welcome and appreciated. here -  https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Locks/TorkLift/TLA7702.html

A vid review-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrJs_fq9yQg

5D0DAD03-A582-483F-8F15-8308E4635E95.png

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

That looks very sexy, but I personally would prefer a stainless steel version rather than aluminum. It would be no work at all to cut it. Especially for the price! My bottles are not locked, I think having them under the weird doghouse provides a lot of “visual deterrence”. OTH I would probably just get a Master Python 6 foot cable lock ($13 at Amazon) and sleep well enough. The tumblers are not secure, but it is a lot better than nothing.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

9 hours ago, John E Davies said:

That looks very sexy, but I personally would prefer a stainless steel version rather than aluminum. It would be no work at all to cut it. Especially for the price! My bottles are not locked, I think having them under the weird doghouse provides a lot of “visual deterrence”. OTH I would probably just get a Master Python 6 foot cable lock ($13 at Amazon) and sleep well enough. The tumblers are not secure, but it is a lot better than nothing.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Good points....it is pricey. If you find a SS version let us know. An Oliver owner on the Ollie FB page recently had his tanks stolen. I think the cable lock may be enough deterrent for a snatch and grab thief. 👍🏻 Thanks!

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

I've always used a cable that is just long enough to feed through both bottles and then down and around the frame.  All of this is secured with a decent padlock.  Certainly the cable could be cut with a hefty pair of cable cutters but the thief would first have to figure out that the bottles were locked down and then have to take the time to cut the cable or lock.

Having said all this - I've never noticed any sign of tampering with anything around my Ollie to include the dog house.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

AT $84 for the above lock I opted to go this route.
Well it took a few minutes to drill a pilot hole and then again a little larger to accommodate the cable lock. (I happen to have few firearm cable locks handy😎). Will it prevent a random snatch and grab hopefully and possibly.

Will it stop a determined thief?...absolutely not. But this is what I am rolling with. And the price was right. 😄

958E9450-730D-4595-8DE8-F4EE162A8F94.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
Photo edit
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg

I'm thinking a few lifelike rubber snakes - If they get over the fright - after lifting the hatch, well, have at it I say. Course a lock of some sort may also work☠️😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

4 hours ago, Patriot said:

AT $84 for the above lock I opted to go this route.
Well it took a few minutes to drill a pilot hole and then again a little larger to accommodate the cable lock. (I happen to have few firearm cable locks handy😎). Will it prevent a random snatch and grab hopefully and possibly.

Will it stop a determined thief?...absolutely not. But this is what I am rolling with. And the price was right. 😄

26AC3FCC-9B32-4A46-90F9-4E76458CDDB7.jpeg

David,

Looks good!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

LE2

30 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

I'm thinking a few lifelike rubber snakes - If they get over the fright - after lifting the hatch, well, have at it I say. Course a lock of some sort may also work☠️😳

Perfect idea, I will zip tie a few rubber snakes onto the tanks inside the dog house for added effect..😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Mountainman198 said:

Has anyone tried this approach?

RV Propane Tank Lock.jpg

I’ve had that same idea, but can the one wing of the big sheet metal wing nut be bent or folded over, by hand or with pliers, to allow the lock to just slide off? 

Edited by FrankC

1 minute ago, FrankC said:

I’ve had that same idea, but can the one wing of the big sheet metal wing nut be bent over, by hand or with pliers, to allow the lock to just slide off? 

I have not tried it yet either.  Whomever tests it first should post results.  I am not against spending $ to secure the tanks but if a simple solution is possible I'd rather spend the $ on campground fees or gas. 

• Like 2

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

30 minutes ago, Mountainman198 said:

I have not tried it yet either.  Whomever tests it first should post results.  I am not against spending $ to secure the tanks but if a simple solution is possible I'd rather spend the $ on campground fees or gas. 

This option only cost me a firearm cable lock and 5 minutes to drill (2) holes. I agree $84 is a lot for the TorkLift tank lock.
Just a thought.

7CFF01F5-41BA-4123-A4CA-C8AB16BB4C08.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 3

IMG_2879.jpeg

This is my $5 solution.  Not real high security, but it would sure slow down the bad guys.  The three pack costs about $15 at Home Depot.  Nice part is that I use the other two on my generator.  If I need the third one, it is in "storage" at the propane tanks.  🙂

GJ  

image.png.7541f6efdfb0486a96be808911252d62.png

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I feel like a "High School Custodian" with all the Keys I now carry.  I try to group them, Drive time, Setup, day-to-day camping.  Maggie has dups in case I cannot find my Prevagen...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, katanapilot said:

Is propane tank theft really an issue at campgrounds?

In my limited experience, no.  There are plenty of RV’s with an exposed 20 lb tank or two tanks.  They might be more of a target.  I’m not sure a thief would want 30 lb tanks or go through the hassle of getting them out of an Oliver.  My impression is that theft, either propane or the entire trailer, is more common when in storage, not camping.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

A simple theft deterrent for us is to break down camp and put every thing away if we are going to leave for some time. Some will argue that it makes it more inviting for theft.  It has been in my experience that if your in the area were there is other campers and they see your camp stored away they will pay more attention to your camp while your gone. For us it is important to at least say hello to fellow campers, most campers will look out for each other. It has worked well for us. Then again we are in changing times.

• Like 2

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

3 hours ago, katanapilot said:

Is propane tank theft really an issue at campgrounds?  We seem to spend a lot of time worrying about trailer theft, etc. I haven't camped as much as most of you, so maybe I'm just naive or ignorant.

As Mike mentioned and I agree LP tank theft is not a big issue, and  likely will never be if you secure your tanks. For a 5 minute mod why not? We always make it a point when the opportunity presents, to kindly great our camping neighbors and say hello. As for RV theft...very rare, so no worries here. 

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

3 hours ago, katanapilot said:

Is propane tank theft really an issue at campgrounds?  We seem to spend a lot of time worrying about trailer theft, etc. I haven't camped as much as most of you, so maybe I'm just naive or ignorant.

In over 50 years of camping in travel trailers I have never known anyone to have a propane tank taken.

• Like 2

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

I think LP tank theft is more prevalent while the RV is parked at home, depending on your location.  My SIL had her tanks (with no cover) stolen while parked in her driveway in town; we live in a rural area, on a private road, so not too concerned.  

I agree with @Mike and Carol that 20# tanks are more vulnerable.  

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg