How much wind can the awning handle

We have considered not purchasing the wind sensor feature of our power awning.  Does anyone know how much wind the awning can handle before we need to retract it?

ALAZARCOFLGAKSKYLAMSMTNENVNMNYOHOKPATNTX

#837 started this new traveling experience in the summer of 2021 and loving it.

TV is 2020 Durango Citadel or 2021 Dodge 1500 diesel V6.  2021

I would suggest that you contact Oliver sales group. They should know how the system was designed and be able to give you the information first hand.

Let us know here what you find out.

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

I believe the Girard awnings use a "motion" sensor similar to what can be seen on page 9 of the PDF:

https://newpar.newmarcorp.com/instance1env99newmar/html/images/023964.pdf

The sensitivity is adjustable: "Set the Adjustment Dial to the desired sensitivity level 1 to 5. Never set higherthan 5. (The factory setting is 3)"

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

One strong gut of wind can be just as serious as high sustained winds.  Be aware, in certain areas of the country, sudden gusts can occur with little or no warning.  We experienced this  while eating dinner outside our camper van in Arco, ID a few years ago. . . . . . 

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

1 hour ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

sudden gusts can occur with little or no warning

Yes. This past September we met a couple at the  WA  coast who  had their  awning case  all  covered in duct tape with the  awning not deployed on  a hot sunny day (onshore breeze for the  locals - the  only time the WA coast is EVER  hot). They said that, despite  the wind sensor,  it had beeb wrapped back over the  roof from a sudden gust I think near Santa  Fe, where  the host had warned  them about awnings and the gusts...

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

56 minutes ago, Jim_Oker said:

Yes. This past September we met a couple at the  WA  coast who  had their  awning case  all  covered in duct tape with the  awning not deployed on  a hot sunny day (onshore breeze for the  locals - the  only time the WA coast is EVER  hot). They said that, despite  the wind sensor,  it had beeb wrapped back over the  roof from a sudden gust I think near Santa  Fe, where  the host had warned  them about awnings and the gusts...

Yes, we too were warned by the campground host . . . . . lesson learned: Heed the warnings of the camp hosts!

• Care 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Suggest you NEVER leave the trailer to go on an outing without first retracting the awnings regardless of type.  We stopped at a Harvest Host winery about two hours away from Hohenwald on the way to a service appointment and a late afternoon storm rolled in and before we could reach the trailer from a pavillion about 50 yards away, a gust of wind caught the awning and folded it back.  Ruined instantly.  Ours is the manual version so it ONLY cost about $2K to replace.  Luckily, the service department had our particular awning in stock so they replaced while we were there.

I do believe a weighted tether of some nature at the two outside corners would have helped and perhaps given us enough time to retract them in time.  Lesson learned (the hard way).

• Sad 1

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

I bought some support poles, straps, and stakes from Colorado Carefree. If you search for "Support Poles" you will find a thread with ideas. With my system I have had my manual awning out in 20 - 25 mph wind and it was secure. I still would not leave the awing extended when not close to the camp site. 

• Like 1

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

One good Bee cough will test most awnings.

A few of the poles as stated help out a lot. Overland has posted some  pics of a setup that looks about as secure as possible. 

We have learned - put it up when you will be gone for any amount of time. Murphy is always watching.

RB 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

We have the 2021 Grard awnings with wind sensor. We were told that they retract at 18-20 mph. Not sure if that helps or not. We do not plan to leave ours out unless we are there and probably never overnight.

Cindy

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

Does the edge of the awning have a place for attaching poles?  We get our trailer in July and have to travel to Montana that same month.  I want to ha e poles purchased before then

14 minutes ago, DonnaScott73 said:

Does the edge of the awning have a place for attaching poles?  We get our trailer in July and have to travel to Montana that same month.  I want to ha e poles purchased before then

The Carefree poles have a cradle and strap setup to hold the awning arms.  They also include a small jaw clamp attachment option to clip to the edge of the awning rail instead but it’s useless.  The cradle/strap option works well.  Here are some pics of our setup with the poles.  We have the Dometic power awning.  We shut off the awning power when using the poles and straps so we don’t accidentally try to retract it when it’s anchored down.  And then turn the power back on when it’s time to retract.  

Carefree HD Stabiliz’r Awning Support Pole Kit - R019399-002 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08528L363/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7WGPCPPHQ46HZ5NZ6FXZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2875AC82-B90F-41A6-B3DA-177A830A5CFD.jpeg

A18991E2-B6D3-4FB3-AE6D-B2FACB94AFB0.jpeg

1B6D9639-F81A-4A20-A59A-9290AE038585.jpeg

C346A43D-633E-4DE9-92EF-87F83642C169.jpeg

Edited by FrankC
  • Like 6

Thanks

3 minutes ago, FrankC said:

The carefree poles have a cradle and strap setup to attach to the awning. Here are some pics of our setup with the poles.  We have the Dometic power awning.  We shut off the awning power when using the poles and straps so we don’t accidentally try to retract it when it’s anchored down.  And then turn the power back on when it’s time to retract.  

Carefree HD Stabiliz’r Awning Support Pole Kit - R019399-002 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08528L363/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7WGPCPPHQ46HZ5NZ6FXZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2875AC82-B90F-41A6-B3DA-177A830A5CFD.jpeg

A18991E2-B6D3-4FB3-AE6D-B2FACB94AFB0.jpeg

1B6D9639-F81A-4A20-A59A-9290AE038585.jpeg

C346A43D-633E-4DE9-92EF-87F83642C169.jpeg

Thank you, this is perfect

I'd use a little bit of caution when using tie downs at just the ends.  With a decent breeze, we can see the outside rail of ours visibly bending when we've only staked out the two outside points.  Another strap in the center prevents that; and with that setup, we've weathered some pretty intense winds.  

We use REI awning poles with ours.  They're sturdier than the Carefree ones, but require you to drill small holes in the bottom of the rail to accept the pin on the end of the poles.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Overland said:

I'd use a little bit of caution when using tie downs at just the ends.  With a decent breeze, we can see the outside rail of ours visibly bending when we've only staked out the two outside points.  Another strap in the center prevents that; and with that setup, we've weathered some pretty intense winds.  

We use REI awning poles with ours.  They're sturdier than the Carefree ones, but require you to drill small holes in the bottom of the rail to accept the pin on the end of the poles.  

Even with the poles I’m still very cautious (paranoid?) with the wind levels, and will stow the awning if things get above “mouse fart” level wind gusts. 🙂 And ALWAYS stowed away if we are away from the campsite.  

Edited by FrankC

10 minutes ago, Overland said:

We use REI awning poles with ours.

Do you know if the REI poles you use are still being sold? Don't worry about trying to hunt them down if you don't remember the name. Thanks!

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

2 hours ago, DonnaScott73 said:

I’m pretty sure the 2021 Grard awnings do not have a place to attach poles. I do not remember that on ours we just picked up. 

Here are a couple of photos of a showroom model if you zoom in you can see the underneath. 

Cindy

B9507B10-ED2D-4E78-B495-7C51BEBEE7AC.jpeg

36BEA64C-CC5D-4499-8626-53C9A63A5979.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

3 hours ago, Time2Go! said:

I’m pretty sure the 2021 Grard awnings do not have a place to attach poles. I do not remember that on ours we just picked up. 

Looks very similar to the Fiamma or Carefree.  I'd bet that either the Carefree poles attached like FrankC showed, or the REI with holes drilled in the bottom of the awning rail would work.  

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Overland said:

Is that Oliver's new showroom?  

That, my friends, is a shiny floor.

My thoughts, as well. Looks really great!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Overland said:

Is that Oliver's new showroom?  

Yep.  When I was there back in early September, Scott Oliver was in discussions with contractors as to how far this floor would extend - i.e.  would the Service/delivery area get the same treatment or not.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

4 hours ago, Time2Go! said:

Here are a couple of photos of a showroom model if you zoom in you can see the underneath. 

Cindy

B9507B10-ED2D-4E78-B495-7C51BEBEE7AC.jpeg

36BEA64C-CC5D-4499-8626-53C9A63A5979.jpeg

So far the awnings have never failed inside the showroom - floor shine and all!

The sensors for retraction would be a few nanoseconds to late in most sudden gusts. As the awning curls up and over the solar panels - the retractor motor strains to understand why it is struggling  '''''''

I'll put mine up.

RB

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201