Outdoor workspace: Suggestions please

hobo

When preparing food and cooking on the grill, we need some dedicated workspace to use for such purposes.  We tend to use the propane hookup in the rear (curbside) corner of the trailer.  Wondering what folks are using when they drop anchor for a few days?  Ideally, I'd like to use something that bridges the rear bumper and the grill area that tends to sit just off of the awning area.  Looking for ideas.

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

hobo,

We use a combination of a small plastic folding table we purchased at Walmart and a picnic table when available unless we are boondocking. Naturally this does not bridge the rear bumper. 
I usually set up our Weber Q1200 on this table. It is a little over knee high with the legs fully extended and holds our grill at just about the right height to cook on. The table is light weight and folds in half and has telescopic legs. Nothing super fancy, but it really has worked out well. I feel sure others will have suggestions on what works for them.

Hope this helps.

E1D3048E-F257-4378-B9B1-D94F06133C59.jpeg

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

We have something like this - been using since 1990's. Ours is a wooden roll top - Not produced any longer, but easy to pack and stow.

Amazon.com : ALPS Mountaineering Dining Table Regular, Silver (8351000) : Camping Tables : Sports & Outdoors

Plenty of options out there.

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

1 hour ago, BackofBeyond said:

We have something like this - been using since 1990's. Ours is a wooden roll top - Not produced any longer, but easy to pack and stow.

Amazon.com : ALPS Mountaineering Dining Table Regular, Silver (8351000) : Camping Tables : Sports & Outdoors

Plenty of options out there.

RB

We have a version of this (actually 3 of them) that we got from WalMart.  Very similar but one of the legs is adjustable which makes it much easier to level.

Back in the Later Tent Era, I did some research trying to find the ultimate camp table.  I don't think it exists, but these seem to make some good compromises.  There seems to be just five or six table designs out there, but with a zillion slight variations depending on which rip off is being supplied.  I've often wondered which version of each is the original.  

My other favorite is the Grand Canyon table from Travel Chair.  It's small - good for a grill or dining for two.  But it's sturdy and compact.  It's Achilles heel though is that the little ratchet adjusters on the legs will jamb.  Every.  Single.  Time.  Regardless, that's the only table we carry these days.  I'm just too lazy to set up anything more.

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Overland said:

We have a version of this (actually 3 of them) that we got from WalMart.  Very similar but one of the legs is adjustable which makes it much easier to level.

Back in the Later Tent Era, I did some research trying to find the ultimate camp table.  I don't think it exists, but these seem to make some good compromises.  There seems to be just five or six table designs out there, but with a zillion slight variations depending on which rip off is being supplied.  I've often wondered which version of each is the original.  

My other favorite is the Grand Canyon table from Travel Chair.  It's small - good for a grill or dining for two.  But it's sturdy and compact.  It's Achilles heel though is that the little ratchet adjusters on the legs will jamb.  Every.  Single.  Time.  Regardless, that's the only table we carry these days.  I'm just too lazy to set up anything more.

Overland,  Who makes the version with the one adjustable leg?  That sounds about perfect.

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

A lot of times i just use the tailgate of my pickup. It makes a good work station Webber baby Q cutting board  connect the grill to the front propane tanks. It works well when done just close the tail gate. I’m also looking into using one of the slide drawers on the deck system in  the truck bed as a pull out kitchen. 

Edited by Landrover

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

On 3/11/2021 at 6:31 AM, hobo said:

When preparing food and cooking on the grill, we need some dedicated workspace to use for such purposes.  We tend to use the propane hookup in the rear (curbside) corner of the trailer.  Wondering what folks are using when they drop anchor for a few days?  Ideally, I'd like to use something that bridges the rear bumper and the grill area that tends to sit just off of the awning area.  Looking for ideas.

If you have a bike hitch on your trailer.. This might work...

D30BD56E-3192-4F23-BB31-43E086A9E585.thumb.jpeg.2cd4c5e963a22f5a67a694c442b9931a.jpeg

• Like 1

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Airedales said:

D30BD56E-3192-4F23-BB31-43E086A9E585.thumb.jpeg.2cd4c5e963a22f5a67a694c442b9931a.jpeg

That's pretty sweet.

I could probably do something like that with my bed extender, though not as adjustable.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

3 hours ago, hobo said:

Overland,  Who makes the version with the one adjustable leg?  That sounds about perfect.

I don't know.  It was one of dozens of almost identical tables that WalMart had on their website several years ago.  And I don't think it was advertised as adjustable - I just noticed it in the photo.  Sorry I can't help more.  

One adjustable leg is better than none, but it could use a few more.  

• Moderators

A quick look at amazon brought up a few with adjustable legs.  (I don't own one.)

Screenshot_20210312-134117_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210312-134004_Chrome.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

3 hours ago, Airedales said:

I bought an extra mounting plate for my Lagun table when I ordered it.  Hoping to do something like this with either a hitch mount and the lagun or might try and figure out a way to affix a mounting plate to the side of the front storage box.

• Like 1

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

We like to cook outside, and we wanted a small table as prep space for cooking. We bought this Lifetime table at Costco for about $25. Amazon has it for $47, and Lifetime has it for $50. The table is 30 in. x 20 in., and weighs 10 lbs. It is adjustable in height, at 21 in., 24 in., 26 in., or 28 in. 

It also fits between the twin beds in our unit. We found this out when camping with family and a major rainstorm hit during dinner time. We sat two at the dinette and two on the beds, using this table for eating. 

1728690306_ScreenShot2021-03-12at2_53_12PM.thumb.png.ccfbc1c86c2720f95f90f487bcea8f40.png

We had an ALPS Mountaineering Dining Table left from our tent camping days. It is probably identical to the one Russell posted a link for up above. 

We used the ALPS table as a dining table on a couple of trips were we were boondocking at a location lacking a provided picnic table. We found it a little bit rickety for our tastes. 

We decided to buy another Lifetime table, this one 48 in. x 24 in, weighing 24 lbs. This table has three adjustable height settings (24 in., 29 in., and 36 in.). 
We bought it at Costco for $40. Amazon has it for $56, and Lifetime has it for $85. 

381576296_ScreenShot2021-03-12at3_07_07PM.thumb.png.e1aaae3ecd5c383fa87dfafb966abf63.png

While the Costco website lists other Lifetime tables, these two tables are not on the website. But they are available at our local Costco. 

In addition to boondocking, this 48 in. x 24 in table has been really nice when our campsite picnic table is in the hot sun, and we put this dining table under our awning.  

2020-07-07-175219Canon.thumb.jpg.421ddfe51fbca92eb3be861a27880204.jpg 

The two tables fold flat and store easily in the tow vehicle. 

I think the Lifetime primarily sells its larger tables to institutions; their website prices the 48 in. x 24 in. table at $85, but if you by 20 or more it is only $52. I note that because these tables are incredibly sturdy and well built, suitable for regular use by institutions; think tables in a hotel ballroom. Oliver says they called the trailer the Legacy because it is well built and you can pass it on to your children. These tables are made the same way. 

Edited by DavidS
  • Like 3

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 8:46 AM, Landrover said:

A lot of times i just use the tailgate of my pickup. It makes a good work station Webber baby Q cutting board  connect the grill to the front propane tanks. It works well when done just close the tail gate. I’m also looking into using one of the slide drawers on the deck system in  the truck bed as a pull out kitchen. 

Problem with that (for me) is that the truck is parked in front of the trailer and I'm cooking in the rear.  I do use my tail a lot for other things though.

We use a small folding table, but in most cases if we can park the trailer close to the picnic table at the park we use it for the grill. Thus we run the LP extension hose from the trailer to the grill, I like the sturdiness of the park table over the folding table. We carry two 25ft. LP extension hoses on board with us. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

@hobo I  saw this one on Costco website today, and thought of your thread.

Screenshot_20210331-153028_Costco.jpg

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

I'm not sure. The grand canyon has a higher weight rating at bench height. This one says 60 lbs., no difference on height listed. 

We have an older, square Timber Ridge that has been great. But not adjustable height. It's light and easy to assemble, disassemble.  My only complaint is rusting screws in otherwise (10 year old-ish?) aluminum table 

Since you can pretty much take anything you don't like back to Costco, it's not a big risk, for a great price, was my thought.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 3/31/2021 at 3:33 PM, SeaDawg said:

@hobo I  saw this one on Costco website today, and thought of your thread.

Screenshot_20210331-153028_Costco.jpg

Thanks.  Looks like a winner.  I just ordered one via Amazon so I'll compare the features and see which one is best. Amazon: $68.99

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Field-Portable-Adjustable-Backyards/dp/B08B659V2Z?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Edited by hobo