Rising fuel prices and your next trip

BackofBeyond

Seems to be more of a factor - these rising fuel prices - on my summer trip planning.  Previously I didn't give it much thought - but if the rise continues, my fuel cost could double over last year. For diesel the lowest last trip was $1.65, currently around here it is $2.75.  

Perhaps I'll use a fuel price app, plan on less miles, more quality time in location, or just spend the kids  inheritance. 

Do fuel costs account for anything in your planning? 

I do remember $5 diesel a decade back, and $3 something on the west coast last year - it adds up- for sure. It will probably just require a mindset change - and become - just another thing....

Progress

RB

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

On the bright side... Maybe the rising fuel prices will thin out the hoards of travelers out there and I can get a reservation somewhere!😳.... I miss spontaneous travel!...Planning is not one of my strong suits... And sticking to an itinerary just seems anti-retirement 😂.... Ok... back to my Positivity training.....Ohmmmmmm🧘‍♂️

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

Look on the bright side, lightly used, previously depreciated tow vehicles will flood the market.  SOB trailers will also flood the used market.  All of this should result in fewer campers on the road and more availability at campgrounds.  At least this was my experience during the last round of high fuel costs (over $4/gal).  

As for impact to personal travel plans it will force us to do a more adequate job of routing instead of merely traveling willy-nilly like pollen in the wind.  Also, use of gas apps and GoodSam fuel discount locations will become a focus.

• Like 2

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

Fuel cost doesn’t really factor into our travel plans.  It’s tiny compared to the other expenses of this Oliver addiction. 🙂 The amortized per mile cost of the Ollie itself, the new truck, all the camping gear, meals, campground costs, buying bottles of wine at Harvest Host overnight stops, etc. are by far the bigger expenses.  $3 per gallon gas would cost me about $270 for a 1,000 mile trip (I get about 11 mpg, so about 90 gallons for a 1,000 mile trip).  At $4 a gallon it would be about $360 in gas for the same 1,000 mile trip.  That extra $90 over a 4 day trip isn’t going to make that much of a difference compared to everything else.  

Edited by FrankC
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, FrankC said:

Fuel cost doesn’t really factor into our travel plans.   It’s tiny compared to the other expenses of this Oliver addiction.    🙂 The amortized per mile cost of the Ollie itself, the new truck, all the camping gear, and campground costs are by far the bigger expenses.  

In the Immortal words of Ross Parro.... "Whats that sucking sound you hear".... Oh its my Oliver😂

• Haha 1

Compared fuel burn towing Ollie with a Tundra with and without rear differential airbags over the same route, duplicating speeds. Something to occupy time while towing.  Ollie in a level attitude compared to slightly nose down, found 1/2MPG better with Ollie's nose slightly down.  Still tow Ollie in a level attitude because the black/grey tanks drain better at dump stations.

Our average miles towed per day is around 250 miles. This gives plenty of time to wake up late, tow at a slower speed (better MPG), time to visit places of interest along the route, and plenty of time to set up before dark. We have towed up to 720 miles in a day when a Hurricane was moving up the east coast in an effort to get home ASAP, fuel economy was not very good that day. 🙂

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 1

Bill #75 LE2

I hate amortization relapse syndrome.  I relapse each time I fill up.....

But I had forgotten - ya'll give  me hope - perhaps the hordes will lessen, and I can go back to my spontaneous, as Airedales pinned it,   travel planning.

Yes, fuel is a lessor of the total, 

RB

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BackofBeyond said:

Yes, fuel is a lessor of the total, 

But I still think about just how many IPA's or bottles of Kim that is just being burned.🤑

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I use gas buddy, and Google, to look ahead at fuel prices. We often buy gas at Costco,  if it's not too far off the route, where we save a lot. Unfortunately,  no diesel at most Costco, but some samsclub and many walmart/Murphy stations have decent prices, and diesel. Costco has Top Tier gas, though, and Sam's doesn't. 

The big savings on long trips are looking down the road, as county discretionary taxes can make a 10 or 15 cent difference in a few miles, sometimes. It adds up in a hurry.

We've not let it curtail our adventures,  though. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I use gas buddy, and Google, to look ahead at fuel prices. We often buy gas at Costco,  if it's not too far off the route, where we save a lot. Unfortunately,  no diesel at most Costco, but some samsclub and many walmart/Murphy stations have decent prices, and diesel. Costco has Top Tier gas, though, and Sam's doesn't. 

The big savings on long trips are looking down the road, as county discretionary taxes can make a 10 or 15 cent difference in a few miles, sometimes. It adds up in a hurry.

We've not let it curtail our adventures,  though. 

We stop at Murphy stations for gas when we can, but have not gotten gas at Costco or Sam's during camping trips. Will give them a try, too. 

Thanks,

Bill #75 LE2

With my 2019 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost, SPEED is the major factor in my fuel consumption and costs.  So long as  on flat land intestate I keep it at 67 MPH (Low turbo boost zone), I get 14 MPG with Ollie in tow, 24 MPG solo.  But kick it up to turbo boost zone, and the MPG drops quickly.  With the huge power potential of twin turbos feeding basically a NASCAR engine, it will zoom up any interstate grade at any speed I would want to call legal.  BUT, the mpg is severely impacted.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

It may impact the  weight of my right foot while driving but otherwise mostly  no I think - I'm grateful for  the  ability  to  say that but this ability  is pretty much  paired with the ability to buy and own a trailer like the Oliver and a vehicle worthy of towing it, and having the time to do so. I'm pretty sure that  if you are truly needing to heavily  factor this in  to your  travel plans then you  can easily find some far more economical ways  to travel the country.

• Like 3

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

Yes Jim I concur.  But then again it gives me something solid to bitch about. ...

• Care 1
  • Haha 3

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

But then again it gives me something solid to bitch about. ...

Yup. Me, too.

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Just add a big 62 gallon tank like I did recently.  Now I bitch about having to put my credit card into the slot twice to fill the tank!  🙂  But deep down I hope that retirement planner app that I'm using isn't lying about our chances to outlive our money.  😬

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

13 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

Yes Jim I concur.  But then again it gives me something solid to bitch about. ...

The price of postage stamps too... And today’s music.... And those damn kids on my lawn... And I’m cold!!!   😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, NCeagle said:

But deep down I hope that retirement planner app that I'm using isn't lying about our chances to outlive our money.  😬

Crap!  Now I've got something else to worry about!😇

• Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, NCeagle said:

🙂  But deep down I hope that retirement planner app that I'm using isn't lying about our chances to outlive our money.  😬

I wish there was a way to give you two thumbs up for this one John!  I'm right there with you!  

• Haha 1

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

2 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

OK - so I just gave him a second thumbs up for you - you owe me one for use later.

Okay - deal.  Just let me know when you need it   🙂

• Like 1

The "hoards" of RVs may  subside after they have spent their $1400 "critically needed for daily subsistence" checks.😕

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

17 hours ago, NCeagle said:

Just add a big 62 gallon tank like I did recently.

👍 Range is my bigger fuel concern that causes my anxiety when towing, not cost.  I wish I could find a big 50 or 60 gallon chassis mount gas tank kit for an upgrade for my gas F-250, but all the aftermarket larger tanks I’ve found so far like this one state they are just for the diesel versions of the truck.  Haven’t found one yet for the gas versions of the F-250.  

A5BE1725-9E42-4CAC-8C1A-2789775C0277.jpeg

Edited by FrankC
  • Like 1

Not to sound cavalier, but fluctuating fuel costs are something I accept. We bought the Oliver to travel, enjoy and camp! 😊

- Patriot

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

14 minutes ago, FrankC said:

👍 Range is my bigger fuel concern that causes my anxiety when towing, not cost.  I wish I could find a big 50 or 60 gallon chassis mount gas tank kit for an upgrade for my gas F-250, but all the aftermarket larger tanks I’ve found so far like this one state they are just for the diesel versions of the truck.  Haven’t found one yet for the gas versions of the F-250.  

I've run into the same issue.  I've been looking too and found tanks that can be added to the truck bed but I just wouldn't do that.  If you do find anything Frank please post it.  I'll do the same.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, connor77 said:

I've run into the same issue.  I've been looking too and found tanks that can be added to the truck bed but I just wouldn't do that.  If you do find anything Frank please post it.  I'll do the same.  

Have you actually seen bed tanks that are rated for gasoline? I never have, and even the under bed models are few and far between for gas trucks, due to our harsh emissions laws. There are three auxiliary tanks for my Land Cruiser 200 - a 12 gal over the spare, and a 24 gal and 40 gal which replace the spare tire. All of those are Australian imports, and they start at $2000 plus a full days labor. The bigger tanks require a new rear bumper to carry the spare tire, plus suspension and tire upgrade to carry the extra weight. As much as I would love to increase my capacity by 163%, I won’t be buying one any time soon. I have been down that “Overland vehicle prep” rabbit hole before. It is a great way to lose a whole lot of money, at resale, or if the vehicle gets totaled and the insurance company baulks at paying for all the extra accessories, even if you declared them.

https://longrangeamerica.com/prod/tlc200ra-40g/

This is why I carry 10 gallons of gas on the back of the Ollie...... Only once have I come reeeeealy close to running dry - “Cruising Range 2 Miles” -  and it was comforting to know I could syphon a can into the truck to get me to a station.

John Davies

Spokane WA

7529C645-E753-4742-B9AB-8CB13D6A6424.jpeg

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.