@Topgun2

Bill:

I see you have the 2017 F-150 set-up very simular to my 2019 F-150 lariat FX4.  

Did you have to modify the Rock Tamers mounting collar?  Any issues with the back-up camera?

Thanks,

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators

GJ- 

The Rock Tamers have a couple of "bolts" that are supposed to be used to both "lock" the Tamers in place and to help "level" everything.  In my case, I had to install a couple of small shims in order to get it looking level with the rear bumper.

There is absolutely no problem with the backup camera and the "zoom" feature still works great when hitching.

However, the bars at the top of the Rock Tamers do interfere with the sensors in the bumper.  This causes them to "sense" that I'm too close to something and they sound an "alert" whenever I put the truck into reverse.  I could adjust these so that they would sit below the level of these sensors but I don't like the looks of them that way.  So, I simply put up with the warning.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 1 year later...

My 2019 F-150 Super Crew FX4 is used 80% of the miles towing Ollie.  So, stone protection will remain on the truck always.

Sadly the cost of the "Store Bought" Rock Tamers are above the funding line on my wish list.  So I'm looking at a possible DYI mud flap effort before hitting the Alaska tour (12,000 miles) this summer.

I'm thinking a pair of 1.25" X 1.25" X  3/16" aluminum angles each about 20" long.  Use three or four Riv-nuts attaching each angle to the bottom section of the bumper, extending an inch  beyond the tire outside face.  Hanging two pieces of used 1/4" or 5/16" conveyor belting with SS fender washers, nylock nuts and bolts.  Aluminum angle would not be horizontal, as it would follow the angle of the bottom edge of the bumpers. 

Conveyor would have bottom 90 degree angles, and the top two angles would be the same as the bumpers. Conveyor belting would extend half an inch beyond that.  Conveyor flaps would extend vertically down to 3" above pavement with all loads and Ollie in play.

Due to aerodynamics, I would prefer to keep the conveyor width to just that needed for reasonable rock protection of Ollie.  As such, I not thinking of the full monte of 24" width of the Rock Tamers. 

I would very much appreciate the F-150 Stone Catchers thoughts on this.  Thank you!  

GJ 

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Sadly the cost of the "Store Bought" Rock Tamers are above the funding line on my wish list.  So I'm looking at a possible DYI mud flap effort before hitting the Alaska tour (12,000 miles) this summer.

I don’t have a F-150, but your plan sounds like a good one to me.  Have you watched the installation video on the Rock Tamer website, in particular the portion about the flaps not hanging at 90 degrees and having a slight angle back toward the trailer?  I did buy a used set of Rock Tamers on Craigslist for $125 which was a much better fit for my wallet.  
Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

GJ - 

I don't know the brand but I do know that Patriot bought something other than the Rock Tamers and has been very happy with them.  Perhaps a PM to him might get you some details.

Bill

Also - I assume that you have previewed a number of posts here on the Forum concerning ways to protect the front of the Ollie during an Alaska trip.  One that I liked had to do with using semi-permanent tape to hold on rubber padding.  It seemed to do the job while at the same time it was relatively inexpensive and was easily removable.

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

11 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

GJ - 

I don't know the brand but I do know that Patriot bought something other than the Rock Tamers and has been very happy with them.  Perhaps a PM to him might get you some details.

Bill

Also - I assume that you have previewed a number of posts here on the Forum concerning ways to protect the front of the Ollie during an Alaska trip.  One that I liked had to do with using semi-permanent tape to hold on rubber padding.  It seemed to do the job while at the same time it was relatively inexpensive and was easily removable.

Bill:

I could not find on the Forum the semi-permanent rubber padding you are referring to. Is it possible for you to locate that post?

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, dewdev said:

Bill:

I could not find on the Forum the semi-permanent rubber padding you are referring to. Is it possible for you to locate that post?

Try this link.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

GJ - 

Bill

Bill,

I am very happy with these “Rock Stoppers” they are made by Livelymachine.com and are designed Super Duty specific. I don’t know if they fabricate Rock Stoppers for other trucks. I can report they work excellent and protect the front of our Ollie and keep it clean. If anyone has questions PM me.

E8AA44BF-EFC5-4A93-B1AF-D33F903B39A0.thumb.jpeg.a8b9291d87571fbe62dd6bc963cdc965.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 9

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

Wow, thank you all for the ideas and suggestions!   Each of you have enlightened me with additional ideas, solutions or improvements.  

Mahalo all!

GJ

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Fabricated a set of rock guards this weekend in anticipation of delivery day. Thanks @Patriot for the idea. 

image.jpeg.c891df7915d7e955867448891fad2085.jpeg

• Like 6

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

@Ollie-Haus

Awesome job Chris! They look great and will certainly reduce the road missiles and road rash from hitting the front of your Ollie. You may or may not need to add an anti sail plate like I did. Total 💯👍🏻👍🏻.

• Like 3

IMG_2879.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Patriot said:

@Ollie-Haus

Awesome job Chris! They look great and will certainly reduce the road missiles and road rash from hitting the front of your Ollie. You may or may not need to add an anti sail plate like I did. Total 💯👍🏻👍🏻.

I have a little bit of that diamond plate left, so if needed I can cut a strip 2-3" wide for the bottom of the flap. Also if it really comes down to it I could get some wider rubber flaps and make my top stiffener a few inches wider. We'll test it out and go from there. 

• Like 3

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

1 hour ago, Ollie-Haus said:

I have a little bit of that diamond plate left, so if needed I can cut a strip 2-3" wide for the bottom of the flap. Also if it really comes down to it I could get some wider rubber flaps and make my top stiffener a few inches wider. We'll test it out and go from there. 

That would work. Looks great, nice job!

• Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg