Sardines and RV parks

BackofBeyond

As most of us have discovered - finding decent spots to park Ollie has become somewhat more troublesome. We generally like to boondock, use public State, Harvest Host, and federal facilities, and when pressed - as a last resort - private RV parks - think KOA, Etc. 

Florida is not a boon dockers dream, and finding a state or federal campground opening can be a nightmare. We found ourselves needing a few days in between the fed park and the state park - so we spent the money  and stayed at a privately owned park. This time of year - the gulf coast is in demand - thus every place is full to the gills - and here on the bay side of the water is no exception - sardines have it better when it comes to space.  Ok I admit, I just don't like apartment like living in an RV. Even if it is in our Oliver.

I would rather stay at home - however - this too shall pass.!!

Rant over. I am just gonna have to start planning - a year ahead of time. 

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

The biggest challenge, amidst the Pandemic, is finding a place to land; it certainly takes away the joy of spontaneity.  I only hope that this challenge will be what separates the Covid Campers from the veterans.  

Living in the PNW, we are seeing a surge of RVs, especially from "down south".  Fortunately we have more opportunities for boondocking and avoiding the crowds.  Nevertheless, I expect the demand for camping sites will level off and return to something close to normal.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

To escape the summer Texas heat we like to go north.  I’m planning a July Colorado trip and state parks and USFS campgrounds that take reservations are full.  Some locations had no availability.  Hopefully, we’ll find some dispersed or no reservation sites.  

I’m not sure it is all COVID.  My son bought his first travel trailer this week (they’re in Colorado).  My niece and her husband here in town did the same.  They are all in their 30’s.  Now I find myself providing lists of essentials to them and recommending good camping locations.  A new camping generation is on the way....  Mike

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Yeah, here in WA we were seeing a big uptick  of other outdoor pursuits  such as hiking and skiing even pre-pandemic, to an extent significantly greater than our also large regional population increase. A lot of younger adults fed the boom. Imagine that - a generation that wants to spend more time outdoors doing healthy  activities. While it's a pain in the butt for me I have to think this  is nonetheless a healthy change, though I think some shifts  back to spending more toward investing in  our  public lands may  be in order if demand stays up. I suspect that  there will be some dropoff in folks camping as their trust in various built environment options for vacations returns, but my bet is that it won't return to what we were used to.

Edited by Jim_Oker
  • Like 3

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

• 2 months later...

Mike . Yep. Thats why we decided to take the bait. Gonna find a way to make good camping without rez. Lot of boondocking planned. Will use various apps and see how it goes. 

• Like 5

• Moderators

Will be interested in how it goes without resvns.  For July I’ve reserved two Colorado state parks and one USFS campground.  Otherwise, we’ll be winging it.  Mike

• Like 1
  • Love 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

On 3/16/2021 at 10:17 AM, Mike and Carol said:

To escape the summer Texas heat we like to go north.  I’m planning a July Colorado trip and state parks and USFS campgrounds that take reservations are full.  Some locations had no availability.  Hopefully, we’ll find some dispersed or no reservation sites.  

I’m not sure it is all COVID.  My son bought his first travel trailer this week (they’re in Colorado).  My niece and her husband here in town did the same.  They are all in their 30’s.  Now I find myself providing lists of essentials to them and recommending good camping locations.  A new camping generation is on the way....  Mike

On 3/16/2021 at 10:44 AM, Jim_Oker said:

Yeah, here in WA we were seeing a big uptick  of other outdoor pursuits  such as hiking and skiing even pre-pandemic, to an extent significantly greater than our also large regional population increase. A lot of younger adults fed the boom. Imagine that - a generation that wants to spend more time outdoors doing healthy  activities. While it's a pain in the butt for me I have to think this  is nonetheless a healthy change, though I think some shifts  back to spending more toward investing in  our  public lands may  be in order if demand stays up. I suspect that  there will be some dropoff in folks camping as their trust in various built environment options for vacations returns, but my bet is that it won't return to what we were used to.

In my humble opinion, Jim, Mike and Carol have spoken the truth relative to this new generation of campers and their longevity in that activity. 

I literally watched that transition take place on a daily basis during the 2020 (Pandemic) Season. 

Like the rest of you, I watched the reality of the situation became more clear each day, then the phone started ringing off the hook with cancellations from "Our" Generation, this continued for two months 7 days a week. Then the phone just stopped ringing at all and my parks summer season map was near vacant. I had never seen this before as its typically sold out early. 

On June 6th of 2020 the 14 day quarantine for out of state travelers was lifted here in Montana and the Hot Springs next door was allowed half capacity as well. The phones began to ring and this increased each day with fervor, however, the people on the other end of the line were not 50-80 years old.... they were 20-50 years old and most in the lower half of those ages. 

As this second wave of campers began to arrive I was amazed to see that 25% of them were brand spanking new trucks towing brand new R-Pod style and size RV's (and I mean paper license plates on both rigs), 50% were brand new tow behind, 5th wheel's or motorhomes and 25% were my typical return clients that we see every season. 

My point being all of those new rigs were young couples that, without intending to, discovered a completely new and exciting way to spend time with their young families and do so in an environment (their RV)  that they have total control over. Given the hundreds of conversations I had with this new group of campers I can tell you without any shadow of a doubt that at least 60% of them are here to stay. They invested heavily into the RV industry to escape whatever it was they were escaping (more then a handful actually sold their home with no plan yet to purchase another). Most of them ended up enjoying it, then posted their exploits and adventures on their Blogs, Twitter and Facebook accounts and as you all are aware, Every one that missed that train last year? is desperately trying to purchase an RV right this moment so they can go out and give it a go this season.

The RV industry will see a lull in sales once this bubble bursts that is a fact, there will also be some deals to be had on used RV's being sold by those who simply do not fit the RV life well enough to enjoy vacationing in one. But finding an RV Space will be an issue for the next decade if only half of those folks were telling me the truth last season. 

It was and is awesome to see the new young faces come piling out of their new RV's, there are some trials and tribulations with so many newbies pulling in but we were all there once and they learn quick (most of them) and it is wonderfully exciting to see my older, wiser and most importantly still healthy campers returning this season. 

At the end of the day, while there are growing pains associated with this influx of new campers, this growth in RVing is good for all of us, My park is full and your Olivers are worth more than you paid for them in most cases and will be for some time to come. So I say embrace it, help them all learn how to back into an RV space without running stuff over, turn on their water heater, find and stop the mysterious water running out of the bottom of their trailer, and enjoy the sound of their young children laughing and scurrying about outside because that is truly one of the few good things that came out of 2020 and for the children's and our sake I for one hope it lasts. 

• Like 4

• Moderators

I think your observations are right on.  In the case of my son (38) and family I’m sure this venture into the RV world isn’t temporary.  They relocated from Houston to Durango because they are big outdoor activity enthusiasts.  Hiking, biking and skiing with an occasional Ironman triathlon thrown in.  Now, instead of making day trips to local areas to hike and bike they can pack up and go for the entire weekend.  Both kids also hike, bike and ski, so I believe they will be RVer’s for a long time!  Also, the first few weekends they went out he had paper plates on his new Powerwagon and on his 27’ NoBo!  Mike

• Like 1
  • Love 2

It is smart thinking in the new employment era. Work remotely from the one bedroom apartment. Or work remotely from the apartment on wheels looking out at the ocean, mountains, lakes etc. I know where I’d be working from if i had that opportunity.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Perhaps some of the new will continue. Good to see. And maybe drive some investment in the industry.  Across the board. Our outdoor parks have long been neglected.  However let's get some of the inconsiderate pigs out here some corrective action.

RB

• Like 4

On 5/26/2021 at 4:12 PM, BackofBeyond said:

Perhaps some of the new will continue. Good to see. And maybe drive some investment in the industry.  Across the board. Our outdoor parks have long been neglected.  However let's get some of the inconsiderate pigs out here some corrective action.

RB

RB You have highlighted the fourth benefit of a private CG that most do not consider. 

1. Unlimited Water

2.Unlimited Sewer discharge.

3.Unlimited Power.

4. Right to refuse service....  I remove, or have them removed, instantly without prejudice. 

To your point, It is a shame how some people treat public lands, enforcement is seldom present or practiced. I do not know if more funding would help this situation in todays world. 

Dan

• Like 1