PROPANE REFILLS, Chama, New Mexico

• Moderators

The local propane delivery service is focused on home delivery and there is never any one there. They retrieve their voice mail delivery orders from their answering machine and will not come back to the office all day. So, getting a refill there is next to impossible. A sign in the window had an emergency number to call, but, that always seemed to incurr additional costs.

The Blue Rhino exchange at local stores is marked $27.95 . And, we know that they now have 2 pounds less in the exchange cylinder at that inflated price.

We went to Eddies Chevron, one block west of the Visitor's Center at ther junction of 84, 64, and 17 highways, Eddie filled two of our cylinders until the liquid sprayed out of the vent ! Not weighed or measured by the gallon, but instead filled chock full ! The total cost for the two fills, including New Mexico taxes, came to $23.08 !!!

Oh, Yeh ! Thanks, Eddie, you know we'll be back ! ;)

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Actually, it may be 15 pounds, not 17, in a Blue Rhino or another swap tank, according to this article

and others that I've read. Like the shrinking Hershey bar of other years, Blue Rhino and other swap vendors have opted to put less propane in the tank, and charge the same, rather than raise prices. Unfortunately, unlike the Hershey bar, you can't see the difference. Most people can't feel the difference in picking up a tank that's a pound or two lighter....

We like Tractor Supply, where we can find them. We pay only for the gallons filled, no guesswork.

PS Until last year, I always thought I got 20 lbs of propane swapping a 20 lb. tank. Foolish me. Herm filled me in on this forum in another thread, and opened my eyes to that situation. Apparently, it's only become worse.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We've found such a wide variety of prices and fill options across the country. In Hemet, CA back in April - we filled both our 30 and 20 (both almost completely empty) for a mere $17.. total! They were charging like $1.39/gallon. Incredible. Wish I coulda filled a 500lb tank at that and stored it :)

And then in Hohenwald in May at the CMart station that Oliver takes you to.. they charge a flat rate which came to a ridiculous $46!! Even worse, they charged more per 'pound' to fill a 30lb tank than a 20lb! I highly recommend avoiding refilling at Cmart in Hohenwald if you're passing through to the factory. What a rip-off.

We only utilize tank exchanges in 'emergency' sort of situations.. such as running out after business hours or when there are no other options. It's nice to have the option, but we try to avoid it given the corrupt business model. We got a giggle the other day when we saw a sign on an exchange rack what said 'A full tank is a happy tank'. Yeah, right :D

- Cherie

• Moderators

We took three 20 # empties to the local Suburban this week, a charge by the refill spot, and a real pain. Go inside, wait for someone, ask for refills, take the tanks outside, get a slip, go back inside, wait in line again, and pay. Long process.

However, three tanks (all empty), were $17.50 apiece, and at home, weighed net of 18 to 18.4 pounds each.

Still and all, it takes so long, we'll probably drive a little further to a metered Uhaul next time. No Tractor Supply here, and Flying J is a long drive.

Our congested county, one long, packed rolling suburb after another, lends itself to the "exchange your grill tank" facilities, quick and easy (even automated at some here), but not thrifty. We probably saved $15. total for three fills at Suburban over the exchange spots, minimum, and got a little more propane to boot.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.