2021 vs 2022

Ralph Mawyer

[MODERATOR - Please move thread to General, better fit... TxTortoise]

If I had the opportunity to get a 2021 build before they move to 2022 in Oct, would you do it?

it looks like the only major functional difference is the self-lubricating axles. The 2022 price increase is pretty much adding past options as standard equipment to simplify production. 

Will compare build sheets shortly, but thought I’d ask, in case I was missing some nuances. 

Edited by TxTortoise
Move to General topic

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

• Moderator+

Disc brakes with larger axles on the 2022’s might be a factor. 

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Still drum brakes, but with no brake adjustment and with sealed bearings from what I can tell.  

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-NEV-R-Adjust-Electric-Brake-Kit-Left/dp/B07MLXNBT2

That is the most significant change, just wondering if worth waiting for given a chance for an early delivery.  Foregoing that and the upgrade to the Powered Pro curbside awning as standard, seem to account for about $3000 savings for my configuration of a 2021 vs 2022.  Which makes sense from a cost standpoint.  

I don't really care about the awning upgrade, so really comes down to how big an improvement the axle is and if they will commit to the new vendor for the lithium package, if I go that way as that's a $4000 different over the AGM package.

(Still not sure if this is the best category to be posting in, but none of the others seem to fit for new owner configuration questions.)

• Moderators
2 hours ago, TxTortoise said:

2 hours ago, TxTortoise said:

Still not sure if this is the best category to be posting in, but none of the others seem to fit for new owner configuration questions.)

It's fine.

We'll find you.

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

My Salesperson, Josh, told me 2 weeks ago that 2022 models of LE2 come standard with Dexter 3500 lb axles, drum brakes and sealed bearings.  5000 lb axles are available as an upgrade.  Disc brakes are not an option they are offering at this time.I’d suggest you confirm these details if you are looking to get a 2022.  

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

• Moderator+
11 minutes ago, Hokieman said:

My Salesperson, Josh, told me 2 weeks ago that 2022 models of LE2 come standard with Dexter 3500 lb axles, drum brakes and sealed bearings.  5000 lb axles are available as an upgrade.  Disc brakes are not an option they are offering at this time.I’d suggest you confirm these details if you are looking to get a 2022.  

Actually, the upgrade will be 5200 pound axles de-rated to 3500 pounds due to the four leaf spring packs. As you stated "...Disc brakes are not an option they are offering at this time..." But we are speaking about the 2022's.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

The 5200 lb de-rated axles make sense, he didn’t elaborate.   Apologies for the confused statement on the disc brakes,  I was referring to the 2022 models.   My salesperson said that disc brakes are not an option on the 2022 models that are being ordered now.   Perhaps they will be an option on later models.    Just passing on the information I was told, I  recommend it be  confirmed by any prospective buyers. 

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

Due read up on the self-lubricating axles, we were looking at the Airstream's which had them as standard equipment. There were pros and cons on these axles, don't know if  this is a good selling point or not. It's worth looking into. For myself I prefer the old fashion way and that's looking at the wheel bearing every 12,000 of use.

trainman 

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Thanks, after slicing and dicing the options and selling price for a 2021 vs 2022 it really looks like all they have done is standardize options to simplify the production line. 

I can live without the awning upgrade and am still ambivalent about waiting for the axle, but assuming one is looking for the same options when comparing each year the price is very close. 

I really thought I wanted the composting toilet and Truma water heater, but the more I read and try to be realistic about our use I’m revisiting those selections. 

There is something to be said for maxing options for resale, but conversely most items like toilet, water heater and AGM to Lithium batteries can be upgraded downstream. The axle, not so much, unless you’re Seadawg or a few others who can do anything. 🙂

The battery decision is the hardest, given the price point of lithium and not being able to lock-in the new vendor for a 2021 build, though likely it would be Lithionics.   

If not upgrading to the above items the configuration is pretty much like our Casita with more room and upgraded construction. More room being the key aspect of upgrading, for a lot more dollars. 

Mike @Fair Oaks will be showing us their Elite  II today, which we really appreciate. Nice having a forum moderator in our back yard. 🙂

Edited by TxTortoise

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, TxTortoise said:

Mike @Fair Oaks will be showing us their Elite  II today, which we really appreciate. Nice having a forum moderator in our back yard. 🙂

Looking forward to your visit!  Lots of decisions to make, many more than when we ordered.  I do think it is important to consider individual camping styles to match options to.  Since you aren’t first time buyers you know what your style is....  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

TxT - 

You certainly are one lucky fellow.  There aren't many Ollie owners that are better equipped to show you one of these trailers.  Have a great time!

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

So I am glad I got into 2021 as I see they made fiber granite standard and increased price.    I am just not a fan of the look.   I got standard interior and saved the $$ and working with Foy Sperring on custom dinette top to be the show piece of interior.  Many like fiber granite though just not my taste. 

I was also convinced I wanted truma and composting toilet. I passed on both.  I will never full time and after a lot of research truma just wasn’t needed to start.   I also decided to try standard toilet first. One way or other you deal with waste and I just wasn’t sold on composting and it is expensive option to be on the fence about.  

• Like 3

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

42 minutes ago, TexasGuy said:

So I am glad I got into 2021 as I see they made fiber granite standard and increased price.    I am just not a fan of the look.   I got standard interior and saved the $$ and working with Foy Sperring on custom dinette top to be the show piece of interior.  Many like fiber granite though just not my taste. 

I was also convinced I wanted truma and composting toilet. I passed on both.  I will never full time and after a lot of research truma just wasn’t needed to start.   I also decided to try standard toilet first. One way or other you deal with waste and I just wasn’t sold on composting and it is expensive option to be on the fence about.  

The interiors do present somewhat of a conflict, particularly given a factory visit isn’t a day trip like Casita factory was.  The ultra has functional appeal, but not a fan of what looks like smooth vinyl. Is fiber granite heavier or just has a granite look?

The 2021 option may be moot unless I decide within the next week to get on the list and hope for a cancellation slot that gets me delivery by the second week of July, for a planned trip to Colorado.  July build process starts in mid-late April with paperwork etc. if I can’t hit that date, no real urgency  

Biggest issue is the Casita works for me solo and is an easier tow, but at 6’3” the Oliver has much more space and if we get back to more couple trips, wife still works, the twin beds, etc, does make it more comfortable...and they do look awesome  🙂

18 minutes ago, TxTortoise said:

Is fiber granite heavier or just has a granite look?

The granite is simply light weight fiberglass panels that velcro to the top of the standard white gelcoat counter tops. The weight difference is very minimal.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

TxT - 

Yes, actually both Steve and JD are correct here in that once these fiberglass "fibergranite" panels are made they are held into their respective positions via Velcro.  However, there is no Velcro used in the construction of these panels.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Overland said:

The kitchen and bath countertops on mine were held in place with epoxy. Trust me, I know, since I cut through them. The other three use Velcro.

Indeed - I forgot about the relatively large kitchen and bath counter tops.

Bill

Speaking of the 2022, and possibly later 2021's - the rolled in former options not withstanding, I would find it a stretch to believe price increases are not on the way.  Basic materials, along with the various modules and appliances are increasing in price and I imagine will  passed through to the customer - sooner or later.

Clearly Oliver is reducing option variation and simplifying the build process - all of which reduce manufacturing cost and increase profit - and will/should improve quality levels. 

As for the self lubricating axles -  Many auto's have never service wheel assemblies - I put 150K on my 2007 GMC - never touched the front bearings..... and were good for many after that.... I would like to see the repair/warranty data on the Dexter assemblies - before making a decision on them as an improvement.

Progress - trust it.....😀

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

39 minutes ago, Overland said:

Speaking of fiber granite, now that Oliver has reduced the color options, what are the chances that any of us with discontinued colors could get a replacement for a damaged piece later down the road?

🧐 I believe by law they have to keep certain parts available in inventory  for several years. At least that is how the auto industry is.  Not sure if a small mfg, like Oliver has to adhere to the same.

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators

Since the fibergranite is produced in-house, it would be fairly simple to just keep the "additive materials" applicable to each different color.  Then if/when a customer needs a retired color it would be fairly simple to used the appropriate color for that "one off".  As I understand it - these materials are dry.  Therefore, the shelf life should be reasonable.

Bill

• Thanks 1