Hello from Kern County, California

Stranded

We bought a used 2017 Oliver Elite 1 last year, literally like new, never used. It had all of the options I wanted, with exception of missing the tankless water heater.  It also came with the WiFi extender, which I wouldn’t have gotten.

We’ve had quite a few good camping trips with it, it fits our small family of 4 well so far, but will likely be too small for us in a couple years when the kiddos get bigger.

Haven't had occasion to use the A/C yet, and I also removed the microwave because we didn’t use it and I wanted the storage.

Had to make a few repairs already: the Atwood heater control board got water damaged; replaced with a Dinosaur control board. The water drain line got clogged with plastic shavings; cut it out and replaced with an Uponor style ball valve (larger diameter fitting). The middle galley drawer came loose during transit, ripping out the four 1/2 inch screws that secure it to the track; replaced with 3/4 long screws and some wood glue. Currently use painters tape to hold the drawers closed while traveling; still trying to devise a better long term solution. Also had an Andersen D ring fail; replaced with a stainless one. The water pump doesn’t draw from the bottom of the water tank, and I have to lift the nose when at 25% capacity; I’ll resolve that problem later.

Otherwise, we’re having fun with our little trailer! We had ordered a Casita (and still need to cancel our order), but this is the same size and floor plan we wanted, only much nicer.

Looking forward to bumping into the rest of you on the road!

Ben

• Like 3

2017 Elite 1

Hull 220

1997 Dodge 2500

• This topic was locked and unlocked

59CF501E-C838-460F-8101-FDCBDC6D3BE2.jpeg

These 2 little guys fit on the little bed, but I’m betting they’ll out grow it two years. Right now though, they’re having a blast!

Edited by Stranded
  • Like 7
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1

2017 Elite 1

Hull 220

1997 Dodge 2500

• Moderators

Stranded - 

You might want to contact Oliver Service in regards to that fresh water pickup issue.  This is a known issue on these campers that were manufactured prior to a change in the plumbing system and Oliver was "repairing" these "older" units at no cost to the owner.  

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Stranded - 

You might want to contact Oliver Service in regards to that fresh water pickup issue.  This is a known issue on these campers that were manufactured prior to a change in the plumbing system and Oliver was "repairing" these "older" units at no cost to the owner.  

Bill

Thanks! I've read the forum posts about the fix, and I have watched the Youtube video of the spin weld of the female fitting being added to the top of the water tank so a water pick-up tube can been added from on top.  I just don't have the courage to do the spin-weld myself.  We do have a road trip planned to visit my mother-in-law in Chattanooga Tennessee this June, so I'm hoping to make a detour to Hohenwald and have them do the spin-weld to the water tank.  

The plumbing I'll do myself as I I prefer the use of Uponor style water fittings over the Pex-B style clamps used by the factory.  All I need is the spin-weld of the female fitting added to the top of the tank....

I'm hoping the service department returns my phone call this week so I can schedule the day in June to have them add the female fitting.

• Like 1

2017 Elite 1

Hull 220

1997 Dodge 2500

• Moderators

Stranded - 

Good - apparently it does take a bit of practice in order to get that spin-weld done correctly.

If Service doesn't return your call by tomorrow (assuming that you called them on Monday) then I'd call them again or click on Service at the top of this page and submit a Service request via that route.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

You and your boys are making memories that will last a lifetime. 

I'm really happy for all of you!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We are sort of neighbors - I am in Ventura County - Camarillo - the other side of the county. 

Just picked up a new Elite I less than a week ago - Wednesday. I was by myself, my wife stayed home, so I decided to power back. Currently out for my last day on BLM land outside of Joshua Tree. 

Your two boys are about my granddaughter's age. My two younger daughters, now 37 and 34 still are not able to be somewhat civil to each other, but getting better. At your boys age, they never were able to share a bed. I am sitting on that smaller dinette now - never. Glad you have been enjoying the trailer. I am looking forward to a new phase of our camping life.

The storm is coming over the NP now, soon to be at me. Will make an interesting evening and morning in the mud.

John

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

6 hours ago, JRK said:

We are sort of neighbors - I am in Ventura County - Camarillo - the other side of the county. 

Just picked up a new Elite I less than a week ago - Wednesday. I was by myself, my wife stayed home, so I decided to power back. Currently out for my last day on BLM land outside of Joshua Tree. 

Your two boys are about my granddaughter's age. My two younger daughters, now 37 and 34 still are not able to be somewhat civil to each other, but getting better. At your boys age, they never were able to share a bed. I am sitting on that smaller dinette now - never. Glad you have been enjoying the trailer. I am looking forward to a new phase of our camping life.

The storm is coming over the NP now, soon to be at me. Will make an interesting evening and morning in the mud.

John

I know Camarillo well! I have an ex-fiancé from there, but that was almost 2 decades ago; I grew up in the San Fernando Valley, so Camarillo was a hop, skip, and jump away.

I’ll actually be in Ventura on Tuesday to go deep sea fishing with my dad. His favorite boat is the Aloha Spirit with Channel Island Sport Fishing, and they had some openings.

There’s some beautiful camp grounds in California, but it’s best to get a reservation if you want a spot for the weekend. So far, our favorite has been Plaskett Creek campground in Big Sur.

2017 Elite 1

Hull 220

1997 Dodge 2500

I have not stayed at Plaskett Creek. Most other places in the Big Sur area, in a tent.

You should have had good rock fish fishing. Western Outdoor News has good reports from Channel Islands. Getting ready for an Albacore trip in a couple of months, if I am able.

I've spent a lot of time fishing, about your boys age and into teenage years, on the upper Kern river and Lake Isabella. My parents would take us to Limestone Campground. There was no water, so it was my job to fill water containers with dripping water from the wall that was across the road. And of course it was my job to clean the fish starting when I was about 10 or 11. I also had to start the fire to make breakfast. I say "had" to, but it was a pleasure to do all that "work".

• Like 2

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited