Grey tank full before tank monitor says so....

Just wondering what could be the cause of this:

Our grey tank showed 70% on the seelevel indicator, but began to back up in the shower as well as the kitchen sink. We are level from front to back AND side to side.

Have any of you experienced this before?

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

Be sure and check to see that you opened the grey water valve in the bathroom.  We have forgot to do this when traveling from one site to another and experienced the water backing up in the sink and shower drain.  Once opened back up, all flowed well again.

• Like 1

2020 F250 Lariat Supercrew 6.7 Diesel 4x4

2020 Oliver Legacy Elite I  *   Hull #664 (April 2, 2022 Incident)

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II * Hull #293 (Purchased Used April 16, 2022)

Located SE Texas Region

ABBCYTAKAZARCACOIDLAMSMTNVNMORSDTNTXUTWA

19 minutes ago, QuestionMark said:

Be sure and check to see that you opened the grey water valve in the bathroom.  We have forgot to do this when traveling from one site to another and experienced the water backing up in the sink and shower drain.  Once opened back up, all flowed well again.

OP said water was backing up in the kitchen sink. 

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

On our LE1 water will back up in the sink and the shower if the valve is closed.  I have not traced it down as to why, but my best guess the valve also blocks in the vent thereby not allowing the water to flow down into the tank.    Perhaps the LE2's are piped differently.   Easy thing to check the valve position.

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Like 1

2020 F250 Lariat Supercrew 6.7 Diesel 4x4

2020 Oliver Legacy Elite I  *   Hull #664 (April 2, 2022 Incident)

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II * Hull #293 (Purchased Used April 16, 2022)

Located SE Texas Region

ABBCYTAKAZARCACOIDLAMSMTNVNMORSDTNTXUTWA

7 hours ago, jordanv said:

Just wondering what could be the cause of this:

Our grey tank showed 70% on the seelevel indicator, but began to back up in the shower as well as the kitchen sink. We are level from front to back AND side to side.

Have any of you experienced this before?

I have found the grey and fresh tank SeeLevel indicators to be confusing for the most part (black tank sensor works much better).  At first I thought they were good for "ballpark" estimates, but the readings are never consistent and repeatable so I've come to the conclusion that relying on them is risky.  The tanks are just so "shallow" that the slightest difference in leveling can result in huge discrepancies in the SeeLevel readings.  My strategy is going to be to fill the fresh tank and use the onboard pump rather than just city water pressure.  By using the fresh and grey tank level indicators together I'll have a better "estimate" of how full / empty the tanks are.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

On 3/24/2021 at 4:34 AM, NCeagle said:

The tanks are just so "shallow" that the slightest difference in leveling can result in huge discrepancies in the SeeLevel readings.  My strategy is going to be to fill the fresh tank and use the onboard pump rather than just city water pressure.  By using the fresh and grey tank level indicators together I'll have a better "estimate" of how full / empty the tanks are.

I totally agree. The first time we noticed the shower didn't drain the grey tank showed 70. The next time, it was at 56. 

After a complete emptying, it sometimes reads 13 or 0. Very unreliable. I think the idea of using the fresh water + pump, and using the two readings in tandem is a good idea.

• Thanks 1

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

• 5 weeks later...

We just picked up Hull #776 a few weeks ago.  I went to the storage lot to clean and restock and there was about an inch of water sitting in the shower pan.  Based on this thread, should I open the bathroom gray water valve?  That's in the storage closet on the LE II right?   Normally my husband would figure this out but he's traveling for work and we are heading out to camp again as soon as he gets back.  Thanks!

20 minutes ago, Bertrands said:

We just picked up Hull #776 a few weeks ago.  I went to the storage lot to clean and restock and there was about an inch of water sitting in the shower pan.  Based on this thread, should I open the bathroom gray water valve?  That's in the storage closet on the LE II right?   Normally my husband would figure this out but he's traveling for work and we are heading out to camp again as soon as he gets back.  Thanks!

The 1st thing to check is the drain value next to the toilette front wall of the bathroom. Pulled out is open, push in is closed.  Should be out in storage so the drain is open. It keeps gray water in the tank from sloshing up into the shower pan when traveling. Any water going down drains backs up quickly if it is shut. If your gray tank is full, you probably do not want to drop any just on the ground at the storage facility. It is frowned upon in most places. The outlet is in the rear bumper and the value behind the hatch that also contains the outside shower. The question would be why the water in the shower when stowed? (Unless you ran some while working in the trailer. 

• Like 1

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

Bill, Thanks so much for the response!  I don't think there is a drain valve in the bathroom itself.  I'm pretty sure that on our rig it's located in the closet and there is a red toggle switch.  We had full hook-ups at our last camp site so the tanks should be empty and we didn't use any water once we parked in storage.  I'll go over tomorrow and open the the valve inside and outside the rig and see if that empties the shower pan.

• Moderators

Is the bathroom fan closed? Could this be rain water?

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

My grey tank is full  @ 80% reading since purchasing my 2017 Oliver.  I think a good test when getting a new Oliver is level the trailer and fill up the grey tank, watch when it starts trying to backup from the shower drain. Notice the reading you now know your grey tank levels.  I also every once in a while will keep it over 50% and drive to next camping site hoping the drive will help clean the tank.

• Like 1

Geo, have you ever tried 'burping' the tank when it's at 80% and full?  Try changing the angle of the trailer with the jacks at that point and see if you don't hear some gurgling and suddenly get extra space in the tank.  Ours does the same, but once you burp it, it will go past 100 before any water shows up in the shower pan.  A couple of other people have said the same, and I think it's a weird issue with the venting.

Usually 80% is about where we need to tilt back the trailer to get to the remaining fresh water anyway.

• Like 2

Good news - I just opened the drain valve in the closet and the shower pan drained right away!  I also opened the grey water tank outside, but nothing came out.  Interesting to know about "burping" and using the angle of the jacks to help empty the tanks.  Love knowing the members of this forum are always available to help!!!

• Like 2